Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2013" thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.01.2013, 05:21 AM   #161
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses

capsar brötzmann/Marino Pliakas/Michael Wertmüller
with FM Einheit on 2 tracks
heavy stuff. might be my favourite from this year so far.
It was weird to open for them last sunday - i felt like playing in a lullaby band after seeing nohome
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2013, 05:24 AM   #162
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
HOW THE FUCK IS THIS LISTENABLE? yeezus I can overlook because kanye being an egomaniacal cunt is somewhat alluring, irrespective of how shit I may perceive his music to be, but jesus christ, daft punk are the biggest hacks in the history of the music industry. I don't think I've ever been so angered by a musician (or indeed an artist of any kind, save perhaps that interminable bitch marina abramovic) as when they stated that their being absurdly rich did not mean that they were allowed to be comfortable. if their idea of 'challenging' themselves and exploring the boundaries of music's post-millennial fringe is by dredging up fucking disco and soft rock, done with far greater zest and vitality some 30 years beforehand, then where the fuck have you been for the last decade? music is not stagnant in any way; in fact, I would believe our current state to be among the most fertile in history, to which this thread can undeniably attest. so for these arseholes to have the temerity to not only feel the right to look down upon modern musicians whilst making primitivist disco but also to charge themselves with the responsibility of 'rescuing' it makes me want to stomp on some throats.

fucking frog bastards.
i'm sorry you feel that way.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2013, 06:47 AM   #163
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
never mind me, I'm just curmudgeonly well beyond my years, just embittered for no apparent reason.

but you know what frustrates me? I was listening to the radio before and the first track from kanye's record, produced by daft punk came on, and it was abrasive as fuck (relative to pop music). like I mean it was little more than a few synth farts, and it wasn't necessarily the most original thing I've ever heard, but christ, it's definitely a step up from the sub-steely dan meets chic dross they routinely churn out. that steadfast refusal to so much as confront, much less challenge their listener really marks them as a bunch of dicks to me.

and like I mean shit, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khBWLKuEKrM) isn't even that bad, especially in a club context. and then that one made some genuinely fucking unsettling stuff for the soundtrack to gaspar noe's irreversible, really bleak, cavernous dark ambient type choonage.

it's just lazy, that's it. they're so fucking content with being rich as hell as to completely ignore the entirety of the goings-on in music, and as such have the audacity to think that getting fucking nile rodgers on a record will make them 'current'. while I may not like kanye west, I can respect him for at least continuing to challenge himself, and thereby his audience. plus gold digger is siq.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2013, 08:55 AM   #164
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
well it's a good album (not their best), i don't think that every album i like has to be "challenging" or "groundbreaking". then again i've listened to it only a few times then moved on, so maybe i shouldn't have listed it.
Old 10.01.2013, 12:50 PM   #165
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
RAM is a grower. Originally I thought it was cheesy garbage. Now I think it's really good cheesy garbage.

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2013, 01:57 PM   #166
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
well it's a good album (not their best), i don't think that every album i like has to be "challenging" or "groundbreaking". then again i've listened to it only a few times then moved on, so maybe i shouldn't have listed it.

No, it doesn't, but I think I get what guest is saying, daft punk always try to portray themselves as consistently groundbreaking or challenging, and I agree, I just don't hear it. They always sound like a toned-down, pop music rehash of 1990s hardcore as if they wanted to be like Atari Teenage Riot only if Rick Dees were the promoter.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2013, 02:41 PM   #167
louder
invito al cielo

Pusha T - My Name Is My Name.
Old 10.03.2013, 07:33 AM   #168
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
you're exactly right in that, and that's the point to which I take umbrage. while I'm not a fan of their music, its purpose is blatantly obvious (party timezzzz wooohoooo) and in that context it's perfect, it always has been. my problem lies in that their music is indubitably devoid of substance, it's just rehashed pop detritus. their is nothing even remotely innovative about it, but if one were to go on daft punk's own descriptions of their music one would think they were reinventing the fucking wheel. they operate under the illusion that regression is a means of progression ('disco is the future', 'we're better than you because we're the only people who use fucking analog equipment' which isn't even close to the truth), a standpoint to which I am vehemently opposed given how patently fucking absurd it is, and to have individuals of their stature (with the undeniable influence they exert over popular culture) openly stating that primitivism equates to innovation just makes me sick, and leads me to conclude that they're either horribly ignorant or just arrogant arseholes. pretentious twats.

to get on topic....

rene hell - vanilla call option. for fans of hecker, ae, russell haswell etc.
Old 10.03.2013, 09:30 AM   #169
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
I kinda see RAM as the ultimate tribute to disco/Steely Dan-cheeseball stuff. They seem self conscious in this rehash, and I love the songs.

Is anyone else a huge fan of the stuff coming out on Tri Angle? Forest Swrods, Haxan Cloak, Evian Christ. Great stuff.

Looks like Ty Segall and John Dwyer are once again the most consistent men in RAWK music.

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2013, 11:23 AM   #170
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses

The sounds of Terry Riley soundtracking megadrive games, ace!

https://soundcloud.com/not-not-fun-1...ts-upper-layer
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2013, 03:55 PM   #171
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
Sleep. I love Black Sabbath, but i cant in good conscience support this reunion.

how about Sleep's reunion?
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2013, 07:14 PM   #172
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses

More and more, this album is sewing itself into the fabric of my reality, speaking to me in my sleep, and appearing before me like a mirage during daydreams.

This may be an unexpected year end front runner for me, I must say.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2013, 03:39 AM   #173
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Innode - Grindshifter

totally brilliant and thought-thorough album.
They're playing in my town this week, not really sure if I'll make it though

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2013, 12:34 PM   #174
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Tim Gane's (Stereolab) new project Cavern of Anti-Matter just released an excellent EP. Looking forward to hearing the full LP now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DMFV-O9aIU
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2013, 06:37 AM   #175
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
HOW THE FUCK IS THIS LISTENABLE? yeezus I can overlook because kanye being an egomaniacal cunt is somewhat alluring, irrespective of how shit I may perceive his music to be, but jesus christ, daft punk are the biggest hacks in the history of the music industry. I don't think I've ever been so angered by a musician (or indeed an artist of any kind, save perhaps that interminable bitch marina abramovic) as when they stated that their being absurdly rich did not mean that they were allowed to be comfortable. if their idea of 'challenging' themselves and exploring the boundaries of music's post-millennial fringe is by dredging up fucking disco and soft rock, done with far greater zest and vitality some 30 years beforehand, then where the fuck have you been for the last decade? music is not stagnant in any way; in fact, I would believe our current state to be among the most fertile in history, to which this thread can undeniably attest. so for these arseholes to have the temerity to not only feel the right to look down upon modern musicians whilst making primitivist disco but also to charge themselves with the responsibility of 'rescuing' it makes me want to stomp on some throats.

fucking frog bastards.

I think you're being a little hard on them. I also can't get past many of the songs on the album (not anymore- now that the novelty has worn off), but there are two songs on the album that are so goddamn good they pretty much balance things out, if not bring the album to an overall "win" status on their own.

Those songs are "Doing It Right" and, especially, "Contact." Two of the best song 2013 has offered up, and my two favorite Daft Punk songs ever.

Most of the rest of the album is just unlistenable, especially as a followup to Discovery, which is probably the dance equivalent of Loveless, for old fucks like me who have to have an early 90's point of reference in order to even comprehend most modern music
Old 10.09.2013, 06:40 AM   #176
Severian
invito al cielo

Seriously, is anyone else falling back on noise rock this year? New releases by Fuck Buttons and Acid Mother's Temple make it hard not to.

I'm also really enjoying the latest from Touché Amore. As traditional as it sounds in places, it's punk played well, and that makes it a rare find these days.
Old 10.11.2013, 07:58 PM   #177
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Innode - Grindshifter

totally brilliant and thought-thorough album.
They're playing in my town this week, not really sure if I'll make it though
yeah, really good record. you're right, it's very deliberate, everything seems to be perfectly in its place. eMego absolutely killing it this year.

absolute and utter fucking maelstrom. will take a while to wrap my head around this one.

real slow, real heavy. classic bardo, a band who at this point have a sound so well-defined as to render everything they do worthwhile.

other gud new things: black rain 'protoplasm', bill orcutt 'a history of everyone', the new downwards comp, rashad becker 'traditional music of notional species vol. 1'

re: daft punk....discovery as dance music's loveless?? shit.....the latter created a wholly new language for music, subverting traditional notions as to what constitutes pop music via directly altering the roles of sound. it is pure ecstasy, combining unabashed sonic overload with a paradoxical calm. fundamentally loveless is indescribable, inimitable, in that it conjures all these opposing feelings; it is seemingly impossible for a record to connote such dichotomous responses, with no other album able to simultaneously lull and bombard the listener. that is, it makes no fucking sense. conversely, discovery is just throwing tropes at each other and seeing what sticks; it's fucking day-glo pop music whose constituent parts are in no way original. I have no problem with this, but when you purport that your music holds some artistic significance beyond what is essentially amateur-level plunderphonics set to 4/4 dance-pop rhythms, in my mind you're a fucking twat.

listen to that new cavern of anti-matter track, for instance. it is unadulterated neu! worship, as so much of stereolab's output was (still fucking brilliant though). however, while they in essence did the same thing that daft punk do (meld disparate forms of pop music), not only did they do it with far greater ability (in that the genres with which they worked were far more wide-ranging), but, to my knowledge, and forgive me if I'm wrong, they didn't claim to be doing anything overly groundbreaking.

I see nothing wrong with genre-bending, or taking different genres and working them into one's overall vision, but if you are trying to evoke the same sentiments/emotions of the music from which you're stealing, or are in no way altering it so as to suit your overall framework, then I think that from a purely creative standpoint your music is totally redundant. and, similarly, there's nothing wrong with that, EXCEPT when you are of the belief that you're the benjamin fucking franklin of sound.

CUNTZ.
Old 10.11.2013, 08:36 PM   #178
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

fucking frog bastards.

Wow. I know not everybody is a Daft Punk fan - I'm not that big of a fan myself, they're ok - I've never seen this kind of hatred for them. I don't see how you can proceed this type of rant with a rationalization of the allure of Kanye West.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2013, 08:57 PM   #179
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
I an really really enjoying Unknown Mortal Orchestra's "II"

It might not be the best... (MBV? Body/Head? Crystal Stilts?) but its up there!! It has the feel of a slightly less sloppy Guided by voices during their heyday, and I am always impressed to hear an artist create authentically 60s sounding songs!!

Jonathan Rado did the same, alone and with Foxygen over the past 12 months
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2013, 01:23 AM   #180
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses

this!!!

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth