Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Free Improvisation Presentation
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2006, 12:55 PM   #1
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Today I'm giving a presentation in our composer's forum about free improvisation and how it unites musical genres. Classical, jazz, rock, electronic, etc...

I'm giving the presentation to a bunch of undergrad composers - I'm trying to broaden their horizons...A lot of them have tunnel-vision, but their a talented group.

Any suggestions?

I've got it pretty covered, I'm going to play some musical examples and whatnot. I'll post the handout that I'm going to give them in a minute when I finish it. So you guys can critique, if anybody wants to.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 02:07 PM   #2
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
If you can stand them, I read an article saying that all the string parts on Sigur Ros's "( )" were improvised, but the songs are still structured, so I don't know if that will help you.

There was one album, it's Ornette Coleman and some one else, I forget who, but it was amazing and a free improvisation studio album.

Talk about improvising soundtracks to plays or films. Bring up SYR6 and Sigur Ros's ep "Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do" which was them and some members of Radiohead improvising the soundtrack to a ballet performance.

Hope I've helped you.
DoubleNickels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
improv?
Live jazz has a lot of improv.:
peter brotzmann
john zorn
derek bailey
[some] anthony braxton

theres a lot with ranaldo and hooker

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 02:19 PM   #4
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
improv?
Live jazz has a lot of improv.:
peter brotzmann
john zorn
derek bailey
[some] anthony braxton

theres a lot with ranaldo and hooker

haha, I'm already including all of those. I'm presenting it from 3 perspectives: Classical, Jazz, and Rock.

I'll post the handouts in a minute. There is a cool diagram.
Old 03.27.2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Signpost
stalker

Signpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's asses
Some artist i find interesting in free improv: AMM, Le Quan Ninh, Evan Parker, John Butcher, Toshimaru Nakamura, Keith Rowe, Eddie Prevost, Alvin Curran, MEV, Alterations, Muller Gunter.
Old 03.27.2006, 02:27 PM   #6
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

AMM is defiinitely in there and I'm considering playing some of John Butcher's album Secret Measures...maybe.
Old 03.27.2006, 03:52 PM   #7
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

handout 1:

Musical Intersections:
Free Improvisation

I. Classical Music

A. Factors Leading to Free Improvisation
i. Aleatoric Music
ii. Re-emergence of Improvisation in Composed music During the 1960s
iii. Virtuosic Performers (Extended Techniques/Noise)
iv. Political Concerns
B. Examples
i. Franco Evangelisti - 'Nuova Consonanza'
ii. Cornelius Cardew and Christian Wolff - AMM
iii. Vinko Globokar
iv. Stockhausen - Aus den sieben Tagen
v. Frances-Marie-Uittti
II. Jazz

i. Free Jazz
ii. Non-idiomatic Improvisation
iii. Virtuosic Performers (Extended Techniques/Noise)
iv. Interaction with the Classical Avant-Garde
B. Examples
i. Spontaneous Music Ensemble/AMM
ii. Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun
iii. Derek Bailey
iv. Anthony Braxton
v. William Winant
III. Rock/Electronic

i. Improvisatory Rock Music
ii. Virtuosic Performers (Extended Techniques)
iii. Noise Rock
iv. Interaction with the Classical Avant-Garde
v. Improvisatory Electronic Music
B. Examples
i. The Grateful Dead/Neil Young/Lou Reed
ii. Sonic Youth
iii. Japanese Noise(Keiji Haino, Merzbow)
Old 03.27.2006, 03:54 PM   #8
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

handout 2 can't be put on here

it is a diagram linking everything together with albums, kind of a Kevin Bacon thing
Old 03.27.2006, 04:14 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting. Have you/ are you mentioning how the aesthetic changes over the years? I'm thinking of the way that the Jazz-ist likes of Derek Bailey influence the more rockist types of Masauki Takayanagi/ Kauru Abe which in turn leads to the lower-case stuff like Bernhard Gunter or Nmperign. It all bleeds into each other, but changes its predicates over the course of the 20th Century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 05:00 PM   #10
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Probably worth mentioning the current 'trend' of superminimal EAI type stuff that has been touched on. Sachiko M, Yoshihide, Nakamura and all those people.

Also, I was going to say something about Borbetomagus but I can't recall quite what point I wanted to make. Probably nothing.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 05:53 PM   #11
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
somebody like ikue mori might be worth mentioning as she has played with people from allsorts of fields (e.g. kaffe matthews, kim gordon, pauline oliveros, zeena parkins) zeena parkins is an interesting one too bearing in mind she plays harp for bjork. and then there was that time last year when norah jones got onstage with nels cline at tonic, because one of her backing musicians was playing with cline. i think it's rhodri davies who plays harp for charlotte church too, and he's quite a key figure in the london improv scene with people like mark wastell.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 05:55 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
dude, play em some dead and show them how improv isn't just for old jazz buffs. it can be made more "mainstream" in sound and fuse with more radical styles, (such as Improv meets reggae on fire on the mountain and estimated prophet)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth