Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2017, 09:51 AM   #381
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think "Humble." is satire anymore. Kendrick has a lot to brag about as he lets us know on the verses, but whenever the hook comes on, he reminds himself to stay humble.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2017, 10:13 AM   #382
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
The image on the cover is dope but the text is very amateur looking.
Old 04.11.2017, 10:34 AM   #383
louder
invito al cielo

If the letters on the white side of the back cover are rearranged, it spells out "death 2 the leader".

The leader = Donald Trump?
Old 04.11.2017, 10:37 AM   #384
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

Well it's just splayed across the cover there in a super basic typeface. Times New Roman or Georgia or something. Too big. The period doesn't even fit.

Not gonna lie it kind of looks like a mixtape. A far cry from the detailed cover art of good kid and TPAB.

Have you noticed Kendrick has a thing with punctuation? Every album title has been stylized in a very specific and strange way except for TPAB.

It's not "Good Kid, Mad City" or even "Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City" ... it's good kid, m.A.A.d city ... this leaves several questions, but the one that really gets to me is, why is there no period after the "d" in m.A.A.d?
It's not "Section 80" ... it's Section.80
It's not "Untitled, Unmastered" ... it's untitled unmastered.
It's not "Damn" ... it's DAMN.

That kind of stuff makes me think the font and typeface were chosen deliberately, and for a reason.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2017, 10:41 AM   #385
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If the lettwes on the white side of the back cover are rearranged, it spells out "death 2 the leader".

The leader = Donald Trump?

Prolly.

For some reason I also feel like "Duckworth" is going to be about Trump. Maybe that's just because Trump kind of looks like a fat ass Howard the Duck to me.
Old 04.11.2017, 10:53 AM   #386
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Prolly.

For some reason I also feel like "Duckworth" is going to be about Trump. Maybe that's just because Trump kind of looks like a fat ass Howard the Duck to me.
Wouldn't be original cuz Tribe did it first.

Also, Duckworth is actually Kendrick's real last name.
Old 04.11.2017, 10:56 AM   #387
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Well it's just splayed across the cover there in a super basic typeface. Times New Roman or Georgia or something. Too big. The period doesn't even fit.

Not gonna lie it kind of looks like a mixtape. A far cry from the detailed cover art of good kid and TPAB.

Have you noticed Kendrick has a thing with punctuation? Every album title has been stylized in a very specific and strange way except for TPAB.

It's not "Good Kid, Mad City" or even "Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City" ... it's good kid, m.A.A.d city ... this leaves several questions, but the one that really gets to me is, why is there no period after the "d" in m.A.A.d?
It's not "Section 80" ... it's Section.80
It's not "Untitled, Unmastered" ... it's untitled unmastered.
It's not "Damn" ... it's DAMN.

That kind of stuff makes me think the font and typeface were chosen deliberately, and for a reason.
Yeah, I always liked the punctuation on his album titles. Not sure why but they just fit the whole aesthetic.

Guess "DAMN." will make more sense soon. Kendrick's expression does make it seem like he just realized that he missed his opportunity of ending up in Heaven.
Old 04.11.2017, 11:21 AM   #388
louder
invito al cielo

Still don't get why/how Bono paved his way to be featured on the album.
Old 04.11.2017, 03:23 PM   #389
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Still don't get why/how Bono paved his way to be featured on the album.

Regarding U2, think of it as Kendrick's version of featuring Chris Martin on "Homeciming."

Also, Kanye opened for U2 on a major tour, and Graduation was inspired by a conversation with Bono about how hip-hop albums often lacked the singular focus and cohesion of rock and pop records (what with the skits and the multiple versions of the same song that permeated hip-hop album culture at the time), making it difficult to translate into stadiums, where, Bono believed, hip-hop belonged. Graduation was a response to this, with its consistent sound and lean all-killer, no-filler tracklist.
This was more or less the death of the skit. And Kanye was primed and ready to transcend genres, which he did over following 9 years of sonic experimentation and boundary-pushing.

Old 04.12.2017, 06:10 AM   #390
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

The cover image I posted it really low res. The font is pixelated as fuck. The back image looks cleaner, so hopefully it looks good in the end.

I have to say, this is not the kind of album cover I expected or was hoping for. But ... y'know... I've gotten used to that....

*cough*

*cough*
Old 04.13.2017, 10:22 PM   #391
Severian
invito al cielo

Guess who just bought DAMN.?

My ass.

Gonna wait until tomorrow to listen to it. As always it was up on iTunes early.

Can. Not. Wait.
Old 04.14.2017, 01:07 AM   #392
louder
invito al cielo

I hope NR is gonna love this album. Definitely nothing like TPAB or uu. Lots of half singing half rapping shit.
Old 04.14.2017, 09:35 AM   #393
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I hope NR is gonna love this album. Definitely nothing like TPAB or uu. Lots of half singing half rapping shit.

I like how it starts right off with samples of Fox News pundits misinterpreting Kendrick's BET performance. He even uses that "hip-hop has done more damage than racism" line! Ha!

First listen, shit is real. More satisfying than my first listen to any of his other albums, I think. There's a lot of shit going on that K. hasn't done before.

"GOD." sounds like a Kanye track! Seriously! Those exuberant synths!
"DNA" goes hard as fuck.
"YAH." almost sounds like a Drake imitation. But it's solid and dope and funky and good. Excellent production on that track.

I've "LOVED" (literally... I've clicked the little heart) on 3/4 of the tracks the album. Listened from start to finish, listening to several songs twice.

Fucking fire. Better not be any flip-flopping on this shit friends. This is a good album. It will probably blow up and we'll all get sick of hearing about it, but let's not forget that this shit is dope.
Old 04.14.2017, 10:03 AM   #394
Severian
invito al cielo

Re: NR

I'm not sure. You know, he mentioned that Section.80 was his favorite Kendrick album, and I think that kind of gets to the heart of why NR is not super on-board with TPAB and untitled unmastered..

Section.80 is a very different album than any of the others. It's soulful and bouncy. He semi-samples Kanye on "HiiiPower," and on my personal favorite joint, "Fuck Your Ethnicity," there's an ecstatic vibe that a lot of his darker and more epic stuff lacks.

I think NR likes ecstatic shit. I do too, for sure. Big time. It's easy to get bogged down by the weight of some of dense hip-hop odysseys. Ecstatic hip-hop, like Kanye and Chance and Tribe ... it lifts you up, even when it's moody.

Kendrick moved into more funky and sprawling territory on good kid, m.A.A.d city, which NR likes a little less than sec.80, I believe. Then he went from funk to fucking gangsta free-jazz, and there wasn't a lot of ecstatic stuff going on, even though TPAB is objectively brilliant. Same with untitled.

DAMN. is more ecstatic than the other recent ones. There's a lot of textured sounds, flavors, different shit going on. Still a bit of that jazzy airy feel, but in general it's much more "straight" sounding. Less loose. Not a bad thing. I dig the fuck out of it.
Old 04.14.2017, 11:50 AM   #395
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
damn, sev done crawled inside my ears and wrote y'all a summary. That was legit. Dude kinda nailed it on the head.

It's true that the past couple years I've listened to less hip hop than I used to. Much listening time has been spent shifting on jazz and 90s stuff and so on. Ryan Adams & Wilco & etc.

So it seems like what Sev says is true - the hip hop that I am connecting with is stuff that feels good. Coloring Book is a great example. Some uplifting stuff.

Anyway, I will be giving the K. Dot a try. I always do.

And to clarify: I don't hate TPAB or UU. But, they're not my cup o tea either. It's like, I can admire the mastery and brushstrokes of some genius painter - but I don't always connect w/ the painting.
Old 04.15.2017, 01:57 PM   #396
louder
invito al cielo

Yeah, this Kendrick album is pretty much his Yeezus. It's hard and banging and more "current" in terms of sound, but also pretty weird and eclectic. Somehow, it's a much easier listen from start to finish than both GKMC and TPAB. Wow.
Old 04.15.2017, 03:09 PM   #397
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, this Kendrick album is pretty much his Yeezus. It's hard and banging and more "current" in terms of sound, but also pretty weird and eclectic. Somehow, it's a much easier listen from start to finish than both GKMC and TPAB. Wow.

Yeah, I just said something like this in the "most anticipated" thread. DAMN. is to To Pimp a Butterfly what Yeezus was to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Not only because it's a follow-up to a career-defining record, but also for other reasons.

I'm not sure why it is — DAMN. is a much different sounding album than Yeezus, but it has a similar kind of balance of powers so to speak. It's a shrugging off of expectations... and it's extremely emotional, but has moments of silliness. It also kind of balances REALLY hard-edged rapping and heavy dancehall-inspired production and samples with an oddly tender kind of emotional bareness.

It actually does sound a bit like Yeezus now that I think on it. It sounds more like Kanye than any Kendrick album since Section.80. Hmm. Still, there's nowhere near as much sonic experimentation going on in Kendrick's discography as there has been in Kanye's. I never thought I'd feel like Kendrick was truly Kanye's equal because of this. But he's just such a Fucking MASTER lyricism and storyteller -- his skills in this area rival Kanye's penchant for big-picture culture-shock epics. He's definitely the Bob Dylan to Kanye's Beatles. For fucking sure. And he's got a hell of a production team. This shit sounds INSANE.

I'm THOROUGHLY fucking satisfied with this shit my friends.

Of course I will never love Kendrick as much as I love Kanye. DAMN. is not as good a record as Yeezus. But, fucking hell... he's just scary talented. A terrifyingly gifted rapper, with an ear for classy instrumentals and an intellect that is just unparalleled in hip-hop.

I kind of hope this album gets bigger than VIEWS. Fucking who the fuck would give a fucking fuck about Drake with this shit out there?
Old 04.15.2017, 04:00 PM   #398
Severian
invito al cielo

What're y'allz favorite songs so far?

Me, I just can't get enough of "DNA." Nothing in recent memory goes quite that hard. Holy shit.

Not sure it my favorite though. I love all of the first few and last few songs. I think "YAH." and "ELEMENT." are my picks for now. "ELEMENT." has a chorus like whaaaaaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Fu Kenny
If I gotta slap a pussy-ass nigga, I'ma make it look sexy
If I gotta go hard on a bitch, I'ma make it look sexy
I pull up, hop out, air out, made it look sexy
They won't take me out my element
Nah, take me out my element

That might be the most catchy chorus I've heard all year.
Old 04.15.2017, 04:04 PM   #399
Severian
invito al cielo

And I totally fucking love the shit out of "HUMBLE." now. Just like "FACTS." Actually the song kind of reminds me of "FACTS" at times. One part in — I forget which one — just really has a similar cadence or vibe or something.

If Kanye isn't done with music forever, I want him to become best friends with Kendrick and I want them to make many songs together. I think we took the objective and undeniable complete and utter awesomeness of "No More Parties in LA" for granted, guys. Shit, Kendrick and Kanye rapping over a Madlib beat with a GFK sample for over 6 minutes? WHAT THE FAAAACK?!

When will something that awesome happen again?

I'm bored. So glad there's a new album worth talking about.
Old 04.15.2017, 11:19 PM   #400
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
I was very luke warm to Damn at first but it is a many layered album that is just now starting To show itself. There are some truly bizarre musical moments and of course his story telling is better than anyone's at the moment. I am waiting patiently with a bottle of wine hoping that there is a second part at midnight.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
171819 20 21222330 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth