Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 30 records of 08 at this point...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.23.2008, 05:49 PM   #201
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Haha.

That review of the hospitals record was great.

Dude! You guys have no idea how miraculous it is that the Hospitals make such great records. Everytime that guy tells me an idea he just got for a song, I think "MAN! YOU'VE FINALLY LOST IT, RIGHT?!?!" Like, often these ideas sound like the stupidest ideas anyone's ever thought of.....and then a few months later, you get a test-press of this record and it blows your mind when you hear the results.

"Rich People" was the exact same way.

Adam--who is pretty much thee Hospital--was watching college basketball on ESPN, and the pep band was playing "GO! FIGHT! WIN!" as usual. Adam asked his guitarist--at this moment in time, it was John Dwyer of Thee Oh Sees--"Hey, man! Can you play that song on guitar?" Dwyer was like, "Why?" Trying to be encouraging, Adam said "Just play it, man....I got a really good idea for that song...it's gonna be a like a jock-jam or pump-up jam." Dwyer thought the idea was so stupid, he just left.

So, then Adam borrows a friend's acoustic guitar and tries to figure out the song. A few days later, The Dipers--a side-project of The Intelligence--is in town, and the band is staying at Adam's house. All proud of himself for "learning" to play a song on guitar, Adam shows Lars of the Dipers/Intelligence, "Dude! Check it out...I just learned this song, dude!" And he starts playing it for him....but only on the high-E string, plucking it out like "Mary Had a Little Lamb", but totally off and rhythmically unstable. Lars said he was being deadly serious and was totally proud of himself. "Dude, don'tcha know that song?" Adam asked. Lars was like, "Should I?" And Adam blurted "GO! FIGHT! WIN!, man!"

Lars told me later about this night and said, "Yeah, I think Adam's finally lost his mind."

Then about six months later, this French import 12" comes out, and it's the first time we've heard "Rich People"....the song that resulted from this idea to incorporate "GO! FIGHT! WIN!" And whattaya know.....It's a totally great record!! And it is kinda like a pump-up jam. I still get pumped listening to it.

Next time Lars and I talked on the phone, I asked "Did you hear that fucking record?" He was like, "I never should've doubted him."

And that's the beauty of that band. I think that Adam is really a totally un-musical dude that comes up with crazy song concepts, and through sheer will and an increasingly honed sense of record-production ideals and technical recording ability, he has succeeded in making some really fine records.....but especially Hairdryer Peace.

Other people that contributed to that record such as Chris Gunn of the Hunches and Rob and Rod of Eat Skull have said words like "I know I laid down some riffs, but I don't recognize any of them." But even they think it's a pinnacle of Hospitals achievement.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 05:53 PM   #202
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hahaha.

That's the best post I've ever read this on this board. Thank you for that... I love shit like that. Reminds me of me in a way (specifically the part about playing something proudly on a high e string unrhythmically to show off to my friends when everyone thinks I'm doing something awful).

What a great album (and band).

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 08:25 PM   #203
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
ive always thought dwyer was a permanent member of the hospitals. doesnt matter to me either way, ive never much liked his work. i dont like the oh sees much, pink and brown was ok, etc..

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 08:27 PM   #204
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Eh? You don't much like his work? Didn't you make a thread about him?

EDIT: http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20787

Old 09.23.2008, 08:39 PM   #205
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone heard Keiji Haino's new one with Tatsuya Yoshida? I just bought it last week and listening to it for the first time now. Absolutely blowing me away so far.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 08:40 PM   #206
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

No, hadn't heard this but I am a huge fan of anything Yoshida does so I'll have to investigate.

Old 09.23.2008, 11:09 PM   #207
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
Has anyone heard Keiji Haino's new one with Tatsuya Yoshida? I just bought it last week and listening to it for the first time now. Absolutely blowing me away so far.

that cant be anything less than amazing. ive been listening to keiji's collab with kk null quit a bit, "mamono"

listen to pink reason
Old 09.24.2008, 04:54 AM   #208
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
No, hadn't heard this but I am a huge fan of anything Yoshida does so I'll have to investigate.

likewise... thats on the list big time...
Old 09.24.2008, 11:23 AM   #209
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

great new albums I heard this week:

kazuki tomokawa - blue water, red water
extra life - secular works
robbie basho - bonn ist supreme [a show from 1980 just released]

Old 09.24.2008, 12:20 PM   #210
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
robbie basho - bonn ist supreme [a show from 1980 just released]

Nice, I'll have to check that out.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 12:59 PM   #211
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep

the one on tzadik or the one on magaibutsu?

i've only heard the tzadik one and it's quite ace.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2008, 01:59 PM   #212
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Eh? You don't much like his work? Didn't you make a thread about him?

EDIT: http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20787

yeah, thats when i thought he was in the hospitals, haha. but youre right, i just kinda stopped digging him a while ago. like all his bands are decent, but there's always like a ton of bands out there kinda like his who are better than his. but, thuis is how i feel about his various bands:

coachwhips; i adore them actually.theyre noise garage punk is right up my alley, amazing live band, and 'get yer body next to mine' is fucking fantastic.

the oh sees; i cant stand them, realy. theyre better now though than when it was just dwyer's home recordings.

the hospitals; one of my top 10 bands of now, but as it turns out that hes not in them anymore, hah.

landed; absolutley amazing band, easy contender for the ebst that fort thunder produced. but pretty much every great providence noise rock musician has been in that band at some time.

burmese; love this band, but im not sure how involved with them dwyer was, i think it was more of on a tentative level, like weasel.

pink and brown; used to like them, now i dont. im sure there's good things about them, but they seem a little too, um, tame, to compete with thier contemporaries.

the trawggs; actually this is pretty great, they play troggs songs better than the troggs.

well, i take back my comment, i guess i overall love john dwyer's work, thats all ive heard by him though, i gotta hear this band revenge that he plays drums for.

listen to pink reason
Old 09.24.2008, 08:56 PM   #213
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Word. Coachwhips are so fucking awesome... even if nearly every song sounds exactly the same.

Old 09.25.2008, 01:29 PM   #214
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Can't really believe I'm reading "meh" for Oh Sees while same people with good taste are boosting Pink & Brown and Coachwhips above that.

The funny thing is, the denim jacket and PBR-swillin' brigade of garagepunk afficionados almost uniformly hated all previous Dwyer stuff until the last couple of Oh Sees records.

So, could it be that as Dwyer's stuff gets less noisy and bombastic, it doesn't play as well here?

I say nonsense....You guys need to re-listen to "The Master's Bedroom..." and go see Thee Oh Sees the next time they are in your town. That is hands-down one of the best bands on this planet right now, and it is the pinnacle of Dwyer's accomplishments.

Just got my split LP of The Intelligence and Thee Oh Sees, too, and it's another winner.....as expected, though!
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2008, 01:39 PM   #215
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I've never heard Oh Sees.

Old 09.26.2008, 02:30 PM   #216
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i have a feeling dillinger four's civil record lp will go down as my favorite recod of the year followed by the vivian girls record. the new pinhead gunpowder ep will be up there even though it's not a record but i don't care.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2008, 06:12 AM   #217
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

extra life's album is fucking INSANE. it's like kayo dot beats the world's toughest prog rock band. really good stuff.

Old 09.27.2008, 07:45 AM   #218
sarramkrop

For all of you who didn't have the chance of getting your hands on the Nice Face tape, they put it up for download on their myspace. Apparently some of the songs won't make it to their first album proper next year, and the songs themselves are ace.

here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=230762677& blogID=435710569
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2008, 01:25 PM   #219
batreleaser
invito al cielo

its ok, that extra life, i still cant help but compare them to zs and ocrillim, and therefore can't fully back it. oh well.

listen to pink reason
Old 10.01.2008, 05:39 AM   #220
Saint_Huck
empty page

Saint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's assesSaint_Huck kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know there was a new Kazuki Tomokawa, thanks, I'll check it out. Extra Life are cool, specially the first side.

Some of the records I have enjoyed:

Excepter - Debt dept
The Bug - London Zoo
Josephine Foster - This Coming gladness
Ilyas Ahmed - The Vertigo of dawn
Kasai Allstars - Congotronics 3
Times New Viking - Rip it Off
John Maus - Love is Real
Daniel Darc - Amours suprčmes
Zdzislaw Piernik & Piotr Zabrodki - Namanga
Extra Life - Secular Works
AU (spa) - AU3