Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Girl In A Band: A Memoir
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.19.2015, 08:19 PM   #401
stophereyes
little trouble girl

stophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's assesstophereyes kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, you can join audible for a free 30 day trial, download a free audio book, cancel and keep the audio book without paying. Speaking of the Girl in a Band audiobook, I liked how Kim pronounced Chloe Sevigny's last name as how it's spelled, must be Kim having a little joke.
stophereyes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2015, 08:21 PM   #402
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stophereyes
Yes, you can join audible for a free 30 day trial, download a free audio book, cancel and keep the audio book without paying. Speaking of the Girl in a Band audiobook, I liked how Kim pronounced Chloe Sevigny's last name as how it's spelled, must be Kim having a little joke.

lol no, her french needs brushing up i think--there are other instances. s'okay, we still love her.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2015, 08:55 PM   #403
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lol no, her french needs brushing up i think--there are other instances. s'okay, we still love her.
I just wasted twenty minutes trying to find the clip in Punk Broke where Kim says, "pee pee" to the French interviewer.. well it wasn't a tot waste bit i didn't find it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2015, 05:48 PM   #404
forgetmeknots
empty page

forgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's assesforgetmeknots kicks all y'all's asses
My husband bought it for me on pre-order as a surprise. It took a couple of weeks to get here, since we live in South America, but I read the book in just a couple of days.

I instantly connected to what Kim wrote about the way people perceive her and the way she really feels inside... Having been a SY fan since I was a young teen, I had been to several shows and travelled a few times to the US just to watch the band perform; there was an issue with the tickets the last time and I couldn't get them, although I had already bought my plane tickets. I was beyond upset, but contacted their management, and Michele - mentioned in the book - was really lovely: she forwarded the e-mail I sent her to the band, and they hooked me up with VIP tickets. That day I met Kim. She was hanging out with Coco and her niece, and I was actually quite wary of approaching her, since I assumed she could be annoyed by my approach and I feared she'd, I dunno, be rude, but damn, was I wrong! She was warm and kind, even introduced me to her daughter and niece - Coco didn't seem to like that very much, which I understand, as she was also very young, and like Kim describes in the book, it mustn't be always easy to be her and Thurston's daughter. It was weird because all those years before that evening, I assumed Kim was someone entirely different.

BTW, I had met Thurston a few days before - he played a small gig with Bill Nace in Brooklyn, their Northampton Whools project. We talked briefly and he was really nice. I was so obsessed with his work I didn't have the guts to bother him by asking for a photo, although I believe he would've done so without a problem. I have a lovely photo with Kim, whereas Lee didn't want to take a photo with me when we met (I know that request can sometimes be a pain in the ass for "famous people", but Lee and I had been talking about guitars and other stuff for quite a few minutes then, so I felt comfortable asking)... I felt so heartbroken (HAHA), and a few minutes later he said he was sorry and wanted to take the photo, but my pride made me tell him it was not necessary. Back to that Northampton Whools evening, Thurston was the only SY member around; when I left the venue, I remember he was outside, smoking cigarettes and drinking beer with friends. I thought it was odd that they all seemed way younger than him or even me, but I understand that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I found it interesting, though, to read about his smoking habits in the book; he was probably with "the other woman" by then, given the timeline. Oh, and I never knew anything about a kid before reading this thread. That is crazy...!

Back to the book, ever since the band broke up and all the gossip came up (I was at their last gig and it was so sad), I couldn't help it but change the way I perceive Thurston. I guess I idolized him as a teen, which I shouldn't have, but that's part of growing up an oh well, reality always crashes in as you grow older. We're all human and we all fuck up sometimes, though not necessarily to the same extent. Throughout the chapters, I often felt almost sorry for Kim... She obviously has had such a full life so far, filled with art and friends and accomplishments and traveling the world and doing things the majority of us will never get to do, but her writing didn't show - at least to me - a feeling of joy or excitement, you know? Maybe she's really down to Earth, maybe she just didn't want to come across as a showoff, maybe she's just feeling gloomy atm, which one can understand. Anyway, I wish I had felt more of a sense of happiness from her memoir, because she seems like a good person who deserves to be happy, but hey, she has obviously been in a difficult position over the past few years. Oh, and I didn't quite get the last part about making out in a car, especially the book ending like that, but hey, like Kim wrote herself, that didn't sound like her, but maybe she has changed. Good for her.

I have the utmost respect for her as an artist, and also as the kind person she proved to be when we briefly met.
forgetmeknots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2015, 07:10 AM   #405
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Best post in the thread
Old 03.22.2015, 11:06 AM   #406
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetmeknots
Oh, and I didn't quite get the last part about making out in a car, especially the book ending like that, but hey, like Kim wrote herself, that didn't sound like her, but maybe she has changed. Good for her.
I thought that meant Kim now enjoys casual sex in the open air. Hands up who never loved the thrill of getting laid like stray cats in building sites.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2015, 11:07 AM   #407
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder what she thinks about cottaging.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2015, 03:01 PM   #408
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I thought that meant Kim now enjoys casual sex in the open air. Hands up who never loved the thrill of getting laid like stray cats in building sites.

Hands up who never loved the thrill of getting laid like stray cats in building sites-- hilarious-- a great turn of phrase

when i was a kid i got lice from playing in a building site. after that it was hard to find such places tempting.

Quote:

ha ha, you beast-- this one really drove home the irony

anyway, i'll try the earnest approach:

Quote:
Oh, and I didn't quite get the last part about making out in a car, especially the book ending like that, but hey, like Kim wrote herself, that didn't sound like her, but maybe she has changed. Good for her.

i actually loved that passage and took it as signifying that she had moved on and was starting to have fun again-- nothing else happened, she had a plane to catch, she knew the guy was a player, etc-- so it's a good light-hearted ending, and i was glad for it after all the torment and humiliation she had to endure. good for her i say.
Old 03.22.2015, 03:27 PM   #409
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hold up, are we talking about vacationing, or spinning wool in the cottage industry system, or some new UK freaky sex shit? Translate into American English please

Old 03.22.2015, 07:38 PM   #410
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Translate into American English please

I made the mistake of mentioning to a bunch of Irish friends that 'cottaging' was a regular family practice around Ontario - they were INCREDIBLY amused, as it refers to gay rendezvous in washrooms ('cottages') in the UK.

Not a particularly family-friendly practice, then.
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2015, 05:56 AM   #411
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My husband bought it for me on pre-order as a surprise. It took a couple of weeks to get here, since we live in South America, but I read the book in just a couple of days.

I instantly connected to what Kim wrote about the way people perceive her and the way she really feels inside... Having been a SY fan since I was a young teen, I had been to several shows and travelled a few times to the US just to watch the band perform; there was an issue with the tickets the last time and I couldn't get them, although I had already bought my plane tickets. I was beyond upset, but contacted their management, and Michele - mentioned in the book - was really lovely: she forwarded the e-mail I sent her to the band, and they hooked me up with VIP tickets. That day I met Kim. She was hanging out with Coco and her niece, and I was actually quite wary of approaching her, since I assumed she could be annoyed by my approach and I feared she'd, I dunno, be rude, but damn, was I wrong! She was warm and kind, even introduced me to her daughter and niece - Coco didn't seem to like that very much, which I understand, as she was also very young, and like Kim describes in the book, it mustn't be always easy to be her and Thurston's daughter. It was weird because all those years before that evening, I assumed Kim was someone entirely different.

BTW, I had met Thurston a few days before - he played a small gig with Bill Nace in Brooklyn, their Northampton Whools project. We talked briefly and he was really nice. I was so obsessed with his work I didn't have the guts to bother him by asking for a photo, although I believe he would've done so without a problem. I have a lovely photo with Kim, whereas Lee didn't want to take a photo with me when we met (I know that request can sometimes be a pain in the ass for "famous people", but Lee and I had been talking about guitars and other stuff for quite a few minutes then, so I felt comfortable asking)... I felt so heartbroken (HAHA), and a few minutes later he said he was sorry and wanted to take the photo, but my pride made me tell him I said it was not necessary, LOL. Back to that Northampton Whools evening, Thurston was the only SY member around; when I left the venue, I remember he was outside, smoking cigarettes and drinking beer with friends. I thought it was odd that they all seemed way younger than him or even me, but I understand that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I found it interesting, though, to read about his smoking habits in the book; he was probably with "the other woman" by then, given the timeline. Oh, and I never knew anything about a kid before reading this thread. That is crazy...!

Back to the book, ever since the band broke up and all the gossip came up (I was at their last gig and it was so sad), I couldn't help it but change the way I perceive Thurston. I guess I idolized him as a teen, which I shouldn't have, but that's part of growing up an oh well, reality always crashes in as you grow older. We're all human and we all fuck up sometimes, though not necessarily to the same extent. Throughout the chapters, I often felt almost sorry for Kim... She obviously has had such a full life so far, filled with art and friends and accomplishments and traveling the world and doing things the majority of us will never get to do, but her writing didn't show - at least to me - a feeling of joy or excitement, you know? Maybe she's really down to Earth, maybe she just didn't want to come across as a showoff, maybe she's just feeling gloomy atm, which one can understand. Anyway, I wish I had felt more of a sense of happiness from her memoir, because she seems like a good person who deserves to be happy, but hey, she has obviously been in a difficult position over the past few years. Oh, and I didn't quite get the last part about making out in a car, especially the book ending like that, but hey, like Kim wrote herself, that didn't sound like her, but maybe she has changed. Good for her.

I have the utmost respect for her as an artist, and also as the kind person she proved to be when we briefly met.

really nice post.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2015, 08:11 AM   #412
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
they think they're so good that you won't resist them so they give you a freebie..

so you subscribe the first month but they don't charge you and they give you a free credit to use where you want, as i recall.

they charge you the month after and you get another credit-- you can cancel before that happens and keep your purchase. but if you cancel before you use your credit you lose that credit. so cash out before bailing.

i used to get it once a month then i switched to the (unadvertised) "silver" member where it's just once every other month (6 audio books a year). i've also put it on hold temporarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophereyes

for audiobook addicts, the membership also gives you a discount in books you get beyond your monthly/bimonthly quota.

really it does work!! cheers!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2015, 08:45 AM   #413
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.salon.com/2015/03/22/kim_... e_band_or_us/

Kim Gordon in Salon.com
Old 03.24.2015, 06:43 PM   #414
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Dude both rather ripped and the eternal are good records and were fun shows and tour. You totally missed out

I agree with this, I saw them twice during Eternal era and loved it!
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2015, 07:41 PM   #415
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteinmen

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tasteinmen again.

Old 03.24.2015, 10:47 PM   #416
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteinmen

well it's true that the live shows have always been a different beast that had little to do with the records, and they were magnificent live until the end, but the last of their records i felt compelled to buy & treasure was sonic nurse.

of course they could have kept touring forever & jamming to old classics like the grateful dead or the rolling stones, and in that sense keep going for another quarter century, but in terms of their discography rather ripped was my disconnection notice.

of course that's my experience, and it's irrelevant to you, just like your experience is great for you but inaccessible to me, and that's fine because neither of us needs validation for what is real to each of us-- yes?
Old 03.24.2015, 10:56 PM   #417
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Ah ah ah.. the dead never played the same song the same way twice.. and id compare 30 years of sonic touring to the 65-95 jerry garcia era..

Glad you like Sonic Nurse, don't know why it wasn't better received by the sonic community

Old 03.25.2015, 02:31 AM   #418
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.wtfpod.com/

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2015, 03:07 AM   #419
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
that chapter where she just dumps the lyrics to kottown krown in...hot fucking damn did that get me.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2015, 07:39 AM   #420
krischanski
children of satan

krischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asses
short review in the German taz
____
krischanski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
181920 21 22 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth