Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Yeaaaaaaaaaah New Mars Volta Album Out In June!!!!!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.24.2009, 06:27 PM   #21
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
NEW MARS VOLTA SIDE PROJECT: THE MARIO VOLTA

MARS VOLTA'S OWN TAKE ON CHIPTUNE!! 480 BPM 1/8 HIGH PITCHED 8-BIT SOLOS INCLUDING ATMOSPHERES FROM SALSA, BE BOP, HARD ROCK, PROTO POST GRUNGE, HIP RUMBA HOP AND NEO CLASSICAL POP.

You amaze me

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2009, 08:21 PM   #22
Youth_Against_Facism
stalker

Youth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's asses
YES! I can't wait! Seriously I can't. Mars Volta rock!!!!
Old 04.25.2009, 02:03 AM   #23
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i dont understand the UTTER hate towards the mars volta here. im not crazy about them, but they are defiantly talented. the first album and FTM were excellent and had really good songs on them.
it just seems weird for people here to write them off as pretencious, i mean COME ON, everyone here is pretencious, andmost bands that are listen here are completely pretencious.
i mean say what you want about 4'33 its still pretencious to notate silence and then sue someone else for using silence in one of their works....

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 02:44 AM   #24
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Having never listened to Mars Volta, I clicked on one of those links in the original post and watched a few more videos of theirs. And they don't seem to be nearly as bad as people say they are. Not great, but not bad.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 04:16 AM   #25
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
HIP RUMBA HOP

haha

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 06:44 AM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
No, their music is seriously awful. Why all the hate? Lemme tell you: First of all... They're not even that talented. The drummer/bassist on all the stuff I've heard is really good, but the main guitar player is a joke. Endless boring solos followed by shitty riffs and extended protools-effected guitar layer noises (which are also boring). Who cares. The singer is absolutely atrocious. So, he can hit a high note. Who gives a shit? Also, not that this matters, but his lyrics are the worst I've ever heard, ever, in all the history of recorded music, worse than Slipknot, Hedpe, Mudvayne, ICP, etc. I mean, I gotta give points to the guy for knowing how to read a thesaurus but still. As I mentioned elsewhere, the guitarist insulted fans and non-fans of this band in a Guitar World interview. Look it up somewhere, I'm sure you can ask about it on any mars volta message board and get the full text. He said something along the lines of, "People come up to me and say 'hey it's cool you wrote a 30 minute song' and I'm like 'fuck you. That's not what our band is about. That's only one aspect. I can't stand people who only like our technical side. Or our long songs. We mean more than that. Fuck people who don't get it." blah blah blah. The most assholeish, idiotic, pretentious moron to have ever existed... Most of their songs have no flow. Again, endless copy-and-paste protools editing doesn't really equal good songwriting. Yeah, they play the songs live, but don't they, uh, "evolve" the live version of the songs into extended jam sessions? That's because they don't know how to write songs! Overly compressed endless Rush/Prince/Ricky Martin bullshit jam session garbage. That is a big trap for prog bands who want to pack in endless amounts of time changes, riffs, and so on... how do you make the songs flow organically? Well, listen to most of the bands I mentioned earlier in this thread and hear that, hey, it can actually happen! I just find their music to be unlistenable garbage. I've listened to their first few albums a few times to try to see if there was anything I was missing. And, no, I'm not missing anything. I can usually say something good about all bands, but I will go ahead and say I think the Mars Volta have almost no redeeming qualities. In fact, I think they are the worst band I've heard in my entire life.

Anyway, I don't agree with all of this (for example, I think the breakdown at 3:20 into the first song on this album is the only good moment in any of their songs; too bad it lasts about 5 seconds), but this is hilarious:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your...mars-volta.php

Final thought: If people somehow genuinely like this stuff, I seriously reccomend checking out some of the bands I mentioned a few posts back...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 07:17 AM   #27
Youth_Against_Facism
stalker

Youth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
He said something along the lines of, "People come up to me and say 'hey it's cool you wrote a 30 minute song' and I'm like 'fuck you. That's not what our band is about. That's only one aspect. I can't stand people who only like our technical side. Or our long songs. We mean more than that. Fuck people who don't get it." blah blah blah. The most assholeish, idiotic, pretentious moron to have ever existed...

So your saying if someone came up to you and said 'hey it's cool you wrote a 30 minute song' you'd be like 'Yeah cool thanks! You don't care what our music is about you only care how long it goes for, not anything else!'?
Old 04.25.2009, 07:28 AM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Heh. If I were in the Mars Volta, I'd be happy that anyone was interested in any aspect of the music I create.

Either way, that's beside the point, he literally said "fuck you" to people who don't "get it". That alone makes him a douchebag and kind of explains the continued hatred.

Old 04.25.2009, 07:38 AM   #29
Youth_Against_Facism
stalker

I'm actually guessing more people like The Mars Volta than Sonic Youth because The Comatorium has 30200 members and nearly 3000000 posts, were as SYG has not even 20000 members and not even 1000000 posts.

No disrespect to SY though.
Old 04.25.2009, 07:38 AM   #30
Youth_Against_Facism
stalker

So don't assume no one likes The Mars Volta just because you don't.
Old 04.25.2009, 07:44 AM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Not sure when I assumed that or why you assumed that I assumed that. Hell yeah more people like the Mars Volta than SY. More people like tons of awful garbage more than SY. So what?

Anyway, I don't care who likes this band. Really couldn't care less. I just think they're the worst band ever and I was explaining why. No biggy.

Old 04.25.2009, 07:45 AM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
No, their music is seriously awful. Why all the hate? Lemme tell you: First of all... They're not even that talented. The drummer/bassist on all the stuff I've heard is really good, but the main guitar player is a joke. Endless boring solos followed by shitty riffs and extended protools-effected guitar layer noises (which are also boring). Who cares. The singer is absolutely atrocious. So, he can hit a high note. Who gives a shit? Also, not that this matters, but his lyrics are the worst I've ever heard, ever, in all the history of recorded music, worse than Slipknot, Hedpe, Mudvayne, ICP, etc. I mean, I gotta give points to the guy for knowing how to read a thesaurus but still. As I mentioned elsewhere, the guitarist insulted fans and non-fans of this band in a Guitar World interview. Look it up somewhere, I'm sure you can ask about it on any mars volta message board and get the full text. He said something along the lines of, "People come up to me and say 'hey it's cool you wrote a 30 minute song' and I'm like 'fuck you. That's not what our band is about. That's only one aspect. I can't stand people who only like our technical side. Or our long songs. We mean more than that. Fuck people who don't get it." blah blah blah. The most assholeish, idiotic, pretentious moron to have ever existed... Most of their songs have no flow. Again, endless copy-and-paste protools editing doesn't really equal good songwriting. Yeah, they play the songs live, but don't they, uh, "evolve" the live version of the songs into extended jam sessions? That's because they don't know how to write songs! Overly compressed endless Rush/Prince/Ricky Martin bullshit jam session garbage. That is a big trap for prog bands who want to pack in endless amounts of time changes, riffs, and so on... how do you make the songs flow organically? Well, listen to most of the bands I mentioned earlier in this thread and hear that, hey, it can actually happen! I just find their music to be unlistenable garbage. I've listened to their first few albums a few times to try to see if there was anything I was missing. And, no, I'm not missing anything. I can usually say something good about all bands, but I will go ahead and say I think the Mars Volta have almost no redeeming qualities. In fact, I think they are the worst band I've heard in my entire life.

The problem I always get when reading this is that (and I'll bold and italics this bit) every single one of those criticisms could be applied to the music you like. I'm not saying you like one sort of music, but proggy, spazzy (multiple time-signatures with low musical content), bad-lyriced, guitar-based rock is your stock-and-trade. For me, all your criticism above says is that MV are the most absolutely perfect music for you.

This isn't particularly a criticism of Mr Park - there's a 'friend' of a friend that is 'just like me' and, of course, we completely hate each other. Famliarity breeds contempt and all that.

And of course, there are bands that 'do what MV do but better', but that's really not the point, we're not talking about quality (you certainly don't), we're talking about the haecceity of MV.

</mithering>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 07:50 AM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, I attempted to do two things with my post. Explain the overall hatred of the Mars Volta and explain my hatred of the Mars Volta, all in the same post. So, let me simplify: The reason I personally do not like them is that they don't make songs that I enjoy listening to in any way, shape, or form.

...Also, prog is hardly my stock in trade. I haven't really listened to much "Zany time signature muzak" for a long time, with a few high quality exceptions. I'm a minimalist man now! You hear that, world?

Old 04.25.2009, 07:53 AM   #34
Youth_Against_Facism
stalker

Quote:
The reason I personally do not like them is that they don't make songs that I enjoy listening to in any way, shape, or form.

That's better.
Old 04.25.2009, 07:55 AM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Holy shit.

Just half an hour ago (2:30 PM CST) the official announcement was made on The State's website: HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!!!!!! "THE STATE" TO BE RELEASED ON DVD JULY 14 !!!!

Here are a few of the specs listed on the brief announcement video:

5 disc set
Full commentary on *every* episode
Tons of never-before-seen sketches and Much More!!

Old 04.25.2009, 08:01 AM   #36
Youth_Against_Facism
stalker

I think your clock broke 30min ago was 10:30pm AEST.
Old 04.25.2009, 08:13 AM   #37
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm a minimalist man now! You hear that, world?

I'll tell you what - you can cut out a few years of shit minimalism and just start listening exclusively to early music and Feldman. It'll save you a lot of heartache and prevent you from listening to Gorecki. Double-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 08:17 AM   #38
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
I have never ever listened to Mars Volta.
Does that make me cool or ignorant?
Old 04.25.2009, 08:24 AM   #39
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
you dont miss much. they're ok.
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2009, 10:48 AM   #40
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
I have never listened to them... Going on youtube right now... The Widow is playing... Some annoying shit is playing... Singing starts out meh... Screaming starts, click off the site.

He isn't an awful singer. He isn't good, but isn't awful. He shouldn't scream though.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth