Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page TORONTO 30/06/09 Setlist..what a fucking surprise.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.30.2009, 11:53 PM   #1
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, I just got back from the Toronto show.
I scored Steve and Thurstons handshake and autograph prior to the show,
and miraculously got a photo with Lee, my idol.
It was incredible, I've never been so starstruck until now.

Anyway, the setlist actually contained ALL Eternal songs. And the last song blew me the fuck away. It was a dream come true.

SETLIST

She Is Not Alone
Sacred Trickster
No Way
Calming The Snake
Walkin Blue
Malibu Gas Station
Antenna
Leaky Lifeboat
Poison Arrow
Anti-Orgasm
Thunder Clap (first time they've played it in a while)
Massage The History
Pacific Coast Highway
-ENCORE-
Tom Violence
Sprawl
-ENCORE-
What We Know
DEATH VALLEY 69

THEY FUCKING PLAYED DEATH VALLEY 69. FUCK. I lost my mind.

I look like a goof and my hair is awful, but my teenage dream has finally come true.
That's Lee's hand, by the way.
mattmacneil is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:03 AM   #2
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
FUUUUCK! DEATH VALLEY!
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:17 AM   #3
perverzion
little trouble girl

perverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's assesperverzion kicks all y'all's asses
wow! "Death Valley 69".. This is a real surprise!
Actually the first SY song I've heard
perverzion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:19 AM   #4
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
I am glad I'm seeing 10 shows this tour. Super glad.
Old 07.01.2009, 12:24 AM   #5
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah - some dude kept yelling for it, and I said to my wife - "there's no WAY they're playing that..." -- and when they cut into it at the end, I was still in disbelief... my jaw just kinda hung open... AMAZING!

Dug the whole show - so good - how did anyone who had apprehension feel about the venue after the fact?
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:29 AM   #6
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

mattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's assesmattmacneil kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative8ball
Yeah - some dude kept yelling for it, and I said to my wife - "there's no WAY they're playing that..." -- and when they cut into it at the end, I was still in disbelief... my jaw just kinda hung open... AMAZING!

Dug the whole show - so good - how did anyone who had apprehension feel about the venue after the fact?

That's EXACTLY what i did, except i'm not married. It's one of my favorites, and when I realized (cause at first i was like 'what is this?') I just started jumping around, because I'm a juvenile lil turd.
Anyway, what a GREAT closer.
I couldn't have asked for better.
Old 07.01.2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Alexander
little trouble girl

Alexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's assesAlexander kicks all y'all's asses
Just returned home from the memorable evening, and what is now the fifth SY concert I've attended. Great set overall. Death Valley 69 definetely culminated the evening. Totally unexpected! Kicked ass
Alexander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:39 AM   #8
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Nice. Thunderclap made its debut. How did it sound?

God, I would have been bonkers for Death Valley. I was bonkers for Catholic Block and Cross the Breeze, but I would have been bon-KERS for Death Valley.

There's no better place to be a juvenile lil turd than a Sonic Youth show.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:42 AM   #9
tonywellington
empty page

tonywellington has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The venue was great. I don't want to sound old, but it is a close to 2 hour drive home for me, so having Sonic Youth on at 9:05 suits me well. Furthermore, the sound kicked the shit out of anything Kool Haus can offer, in fact it was simply superb.
The show was good, I won't say great. SY plays masterfully, no doubt. On the way home my friend said, "they played no Geffen songs". I don't need or want a greatest hits show but I was a bit let down that the entire catalogue from Goo through Rather Ripped was left totally untouched. I also do not expect them to play something from every album. Death Valley was awesome, and the new songs were strong live (especially Anti-orgasm, Thunderclap, and massage the history). I can get into hearing the new recored too, I am just not sure they need to play 12 of them, how about 8 even 10 and throw the crowd a couple bones?
tonywellington is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:44 AM   #10
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
Nice. Thunderclap made its debut. How did it sound?

God, I would have been bonkers for Death Valley. I was bonkers for Catholic Block and Cross the Breeze, but I would have been bon-KERS for Death Valley.

There's no better place to be a juvenile lil turd than a Sonic Youth show.

Yeah, my girlfriend literally asked me "What song, that you KNOW they're not going to play, would make you just go absolutely crazy?"

And I said "Well, Death Valley 69"

I just still can't get over it. They haven't played that for years.
Old 07.01.2009, 12:45 AM   #11
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
I Fucking Missed It Aaaaaaarggg
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:48 AM   #12
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
The funny thing about it is, nobody will really appreciate hearing these songs live until the album has become an old favorite. I remember seeing them on the 1000 leaves tour. I saw the show that happened the day the album came out, so I had only heard half the album before seeing the show. I knew I wouldn't hear more than two old songs, but was still disappointed at the show. God, now to hear 1000 leaves performed in its (near) entirety would be bliss.

To make the world go full circle, though, they closed that show with Death Valley also. It made up for some of what I felt like I had missed.

I find it sad how many songs are in the sonic graveyard and will never come zombified back to life--even just one album later. Ah, to hear that riff on "Ineffable Me" again!!!!.... or "Stones" or (widdling hands) "Rain on Tin".
Old 07.01.2009, 12:55 AM   #13
tonywellington
empty page

tonywellington has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
That is how I felt. It is amazing how the recent, excellent past is just gone from the show. I suppose I should appreciate the Eternal songs now because they will all be gone when the next album comes out. Too bad I love some of the 00's output.
tonywellington is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:55 AM   #14
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I was there tonite as well. Towards the end of the main set I had forget that they had any pre-Eternal material. I didn't even notice...

DV 69 was Waaay better than I ever expected and the album version does no justice to it. By far the highlight of the night

Lee and Ibold looked pretty high and Lee was grinning like a child.

There was one serious hiccup in the music. I could really see Thurston calling the shots music wise..

Tonite I realized how much there music conjures up oceans and waves. Especially with Lees guitar tricks...He had a 12 string for PCH.

Also Kim faked a Neil Young cover seg-way.
Old 07.01.2009, 01:03 AM   #15
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

Quote:
The funny thing about it is, nobody will really appreciate hearing these songs live until the album has become an old favorite. I remember seeing them on the 1000 leaves tour. I saw the show that happened the day the album came out, so I had only heard half the album before seeing the show. I knew I wouldn't hear more than two old songs, but was still disappointed at the show. God, now to hear 1000 leaves performed in its (near) entirety would be bliss.

To make the world go full circle, though, they closed that show with Death Valley also. It made up for some of what I felt like I had missed.

I find it sad how many songs are in the sonic graveyard and will never come zombified back to life--even just one album later. Ah, to hear that riff on "Ineffable Me" again!!!!.... or "Stones" or (widdling hands) "Rain on Tin".

Yeah, that is true. In years to come, we can say "I saw them perform all of 'The Eternal'. Yes son, all of it."
Where were you seated, Rupert?
Old 07.01.2009, 01:05 AM   #16
children of satan

I wasn't at this show. I saw the two Chicago shows, but am jealous of you Canucks! Wish I could have made a tour proper out of it.
Old 07.01.2009, 01:14 AM   #17
mattmacneil
little trouble girl

Quote:
I wasn't at this show. I saw the two Chicago shows, but am jealous of you Canucks! Wish I could have made a tour proper out of it.

Ah I see. The two Chicago shows had wicked set lists. The 2nd one was better than the first one, in my opinion.
Old 07.01.2009, 01:46 AM   #18
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
aaaaaaaargh I want them back here!!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:03 AM   #19
Levitate Me
empty page

Levitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's assesLevitate Me kicks all y'all's asses
This show was so fucking good.
Old 07.01.2009, 02:18 AM   #20
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Awesome. They always save the best songs for the encores.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth