Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Metal and noise combined. Recommend me their unholy bastard children?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.09.2008, 02:19 PM   #21
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
rolo tomassi

I was dead impressed with them when I saw them this year. They did that thing of seeming shit for their first few songs and then suddenly being amazing. Well done them.

My first thought for this thread was Xinlisupreme, but it's an area of music I'm shit on, so ignore me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 02:27 PM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
oh man, here we go:noise metal:zeni gevasome early swans i think could qualifyand therefore, so does sword heaven (sounds way to much like swans to me)today is the dayunsanedeathpile (the band that did 'noise not music')man is the bastardhatewavenoise grind:fear of god (to this day one of the most extreme bands ive ever heard, dave phillips is criminally underrated, this band was easily the first band to really make a stab at combining the grindcore that was being done AT THE SAME TIME as him by the likes of napalm death and hellhammer, as well as the noise/power electronics that was going on in japan and england, and phillips was doin this in the 80s, and hes still making great and EXTREME music today, musique concrete/HARRRSSSHHHH noise/atmospheric power electronics solo under his own name, and spazzed out noise concrete with tom smith under the name Ohne, check out everything)two dead slutsne good fuckburmese (theyvew always to me sounded like the direct result of a brutal truth/whitehouse collab)7000 dying rats (comedy noise grind)extreme noise terrorgnaw thier tongues (an epiphanic vomiting of blood is one of the heaviest things ive heard this year)black metal bands who use noise:burzummayhem (check live in leipzig, total lo fi black noise metal)early darkthronethe second beherit record (the best and most interesting black metal album ever made in my opinion)wolves in the throne roomstriborg (i remember the first time i heard him, my friend had a tape of his and he put it on and i coulda sworn it was NOISE)doom/drone/sludge metal bands that use noise:sunn o)))khanateburning witchearlier borisearly earthneurosiseyehategod (ok, really pusing it there, but whenever i talk metal i must include them)the melvins stuff on amphetamine reptilecan i include dark ambient? it certainly relates to noise, and has the evilness of black metal (but in a non goofy, we ARE evil sorta way, so fuck it, these bands rule):lustmordvivenzablue sabbath blacl cheermoevotcrash worshipautopsiashinjuku thiefmetgumbnerbonei would even consider blue cheer's 'vincebus eruptum' to be a sorta noise metal. its actually noise hard blues music, which influenced metal, and then probably sorta influenced noise rock. either way it rules. and lester bands included it in his 'terrible noise' list, but by terrible he meant rad.

i can't believe i could understand the bulk of it on first reading.

someone give me a gold star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
Lou Reed's "METAL Machine Music", not really metal in any sense but it has guitars.

reminds me: jazkamer - metal music machine. don't ask questions, go look for it and play it.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 02:35 PM   #23
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod

Everyneurotic, I've only heard 'Stratification' by Wold. Do you have any other recommendations? I'm looking for the Dead Reptile Shrine link. I've yet to find any sludge that I thoroughly liked, but I like the idea of it so I plan to keep trying until I find some. Out of all of the sludge I've heard, I've always desired it to be even lower, even deeper. I want it to rattle and shake the ground.

wold have another earlier album called screeching owl.

out of the list of sludge bands i gave you, kilslug and upsidedown cross are by far the ugliest and noisiest.

if you want slower and lower sludge try modern doom shit: khanate, monarch, orthodox (spanish band with crazy drum parts and vibrato abusing vocals, slow as snails though), corrupted, moss, the goslings, nadja; and, of course, sleep and their masterpiece dopesmoker a.k.a. jerusalem.
Old 09.09.2008, 02:42 PM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
oh man, here we go

:noise metal:
zeni geva
some early swans i think could qualify
and therefore, so does sword heaven (sounds way to much like swans to me)
today is the day
unsane
deathpile (the band that did 'noise not music')
man is the bastard
hatewave

noise grind:
fear of god (to this day one of the most extreme bands ive ever heard, dave phillips is criminally underrated, this band was easily the first band to really make a stab at combining the grindcore that was being done AT THE SAME TIME as him by the likes of napalm death and hellhammer, as well as the noise/power electronics that was going on in japan and england, and phillips was doin this in the 80s, and hes still making great and EXTREME music today, musique concrete/HARRRSSSHHHH noise/atmospheric power electronics solo under his own name, and spazzed out noise concrete with tom smith under the name Ohne, check out everything)
two dead sluts
ne good fuck
burmese (theyvew always to me sounded like the direct result of a brutal truth/whitehouse collab)
7000 dying rats (comedy noise grind)
extreme noise terror
gnaw thier tongues (an epiphanic vomiting of blood is one of the heaviest things ive heard this year)

black metal bands who use noise:
burzum
mayhem (check live in leipzig, total lo fi black noise metal)
early darkthrone
the second beherit record (the best and most interesting black metal album ever made in my opinion)
wolves in the throne room
striborg (i remember the first time i heard him, my friend had a tape of his and he put it on and i coulda sworn it was NOISE)

doom/drone/sludge metal bands that use noise:
sunn o)))
khanate
burning witch
earlier boris
early earth
neurosis
eyehategod (ok, really pusing it there, but whenever i talk metal i must include them)
the melvins stuff on amphetamine reptile

can i include dark ambient? it certainly relates to noise, and has the evilness of black metal (but in a non goofy, we ARE evil sorta way, so fuck it, these bands rule):
lustmord
vivenza
blue sabbath
blacl cheer
moevot
crash worship
autopsi
shinjuku thiefmetgumbnerbonei would even consider blue cheer's 'vincebus eruptum' to be a sorta noise metal. its actually noise hard blues music, which influenced metal, and then probably sorta influenced noise rock. either way it rules. and lester bands included it in his 'terrible noise' list, but by terrible he meant rad.
Old 09.09.2008, 02:42 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I fixed it for the board dude.
Old 09.09.2008, 02:43 PM   #26
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Wasn't "Cross The Breeze" inspired by Kim listening to Slayer?
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 02:45 PM   #27
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Great list there, Rob. I would also add Fall Of Because (Justin Broadrick's pre-Godflesh and pre-Napalm Death band). the "Life Is Easy" Cd contains tunes that are a mash up of prime Swans and Whitehouse.
Old 09.09.2008, 02:45 PM   #28
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

reminds me: jazkamer - metal music machine. don't ask questions, go look for it and play it.

Oh, man, totally forgot that one.
I know theres a lot more, I'm just drawing a blank.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 03:15 PM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Great list there, Rob. I would also add Fall Of Because (Justin Broadrick's pre-Godflesh and pre-Napalm Death band). the "Life Is Easy" Cd contains tunes that are a mash up of prime Swans and Whitehouse.

not my list, just fixing a list previously posted all jumbled.
Old 09.09.2008, 04:19 PM   #30
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i can't believe i could understand the bulk of it on first reading.

someone give me a gold star.

i love jazkamer, metal music machine def aint their best though. 'pulse', 'rolex', those are probably my favorites. with mmm and 'endless coast' right behind.

but id take lasse's solo records 'science fiction room service' and 'the shape of rock to come' over any of the kamer stuff.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 04:20 PM   #31
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I fixed it for the board dude.

its still kinda fucked up, but vastly improved. thanks.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 04:30 PM   #32
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i love jazkamer, metal music machine def aint their best though. 'pulse', 'rolex', those are probably my favorites. with mmm and 'endless coast' right behind.

but id take lasse's solo records 'science fiction room service' and 'the shape of rock to come' over any of the kamer stuff.

considering the dude in this thread asked for noisy metal, i think my suggestion is pretty spot on.

and while yeah, there's other awesome jazkamer/jazzkammer releases (not to mention worthy shit by lasse solo, testicle hazard, origami replika, etc.), i still think mmm is pretty awesome.
Old 09.09.2008, 08:18 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
dead reptile shrine.

There's some dude I work with who is into Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Marilyn Manson, etc.

And he asked me the other day if I'd ever heard of Dead Reptile Shrine. I was like, "Uh... yeah..." I thought it was weird.

I went to his house and sure enough he had one of their albums he just randomly got off of soulseek. I played him some similiar stuff that he kinda dug, but yeah, he really loves that Dead Reptile Shrine stuff. That was pretty weird.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 08:20 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
God damn atsonicpark, this Weakling album is fucking awesome.

I'm sitting here listening to it, and I'm enjoying it so much it's given me a boner. Granted, it's not one of those boners that makes you marvel at youth and take pride in your own body, but it's definitely one that if presented to a receptive woman, she would thoroughly appreciate.

Glad you like, it's my favorite black metal album.

Old 09.09.2008, 08:51 PM   #36
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Imagine Sonic Youth making a true metal album (and not just briefly toying with the concept), and I guess that would be more in line with what I intended to get across.

With that in mind, the first two Earth albums, the pre-Houdini Melvins records, and honestly, Bleach by Nirvana fit the bill best. So would a few Helios Creed and Skin Yard albums. But then, I think of Sonic Youth as more post-punk than noise, and if you mix that with metal you do get grunge (as it was before Pearl Jam made the term bring yarling badness to mind).

For a great band along those lines with a bit of less cheesy goth thrown in check out Waldteufel!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 09:03 PM   #37
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Don't forget Bad Moto Finger.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 11:58 PM   #38
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

i feel like an idiot for forgetting and won't go to bed before posting this.

SKULLFLOWER are obviously one of the bands you are looking for.
Old 09.10.2008, 12:39 AM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yep. Duh at me as well for not mentioning them.

Old 09.11.2008, 12:13 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha oh yeah. Totally forgot UPSIDE DOWN CROSS. That band's ridiculous. I have a tape of theirs.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth