Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Gate European tour, June - July 2009
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.23.2011, 03:36 AM   #61
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
And Campbell Kneale... but he's on tour in Europe right now, skipping Holland of course.

I think Bruce Russell lives in Lyttleton too. He was quoted in The Guardian after the previous earthquake a few months ago.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2011, 11:04 AM   #62
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
And Campbell Kneale... but he's on tour in Europe right now, skipping Holland of course.

I think Bruce Russell lives in Lyttleton too. He was quoted in The Guardian after the previous earthquake a few months ago.

yeah hope they are all safe this one was more devastating by the death toll and damage...

I have a copy of Gate's Amerika on cdr and its more guitar-based from what I remember I need to listen to it again, I think it has some layers of just guitar based stuff and is not like his other releases where Morley utilizies more samples and electronics.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2012, 08:29 AM   #63
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
PELT + GATE + PART WILD HORSES MANE ON BOTH SIDES
Cafe Oto - THU 4TH OCT, 2012 8PM
£10.00
http://www.wegottickets.com/event/177248
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2012, 02:18 PM   #64
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
It's a Gate LP called "Amerika". I already "won" it on eBay yesterday.
Can I have a brief review, please?
Old 07.14.2013, 01:26 PM   #65
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

New Gate LP, reviewed at Volcanic Tongue:

Gate
Moths
Dilettante Courtoisie DC-02
£18.99

Massive new album from Michael Morley of The Dead C’s solo Gate project, here given an ass-blasting three guitar makeover: Moths sees Morley joined by Sara Stephenson of NZ droners Doramaar and Nina Canal of NY No Wave unit Ut, presenting an extended investigation into the collapsing universe sound of the more endlessly focussed Gate/Dead C/Wreck Small Speakers jams, with the sound of amp hiss over slow-nodding minor chord descensions and the kind of organisational logic that is truly out-of-focus. There’s something almost orchestral in the way the guitar tones are smudged into cotton wool arcs of electricity, with peaking, overarching melodies more implied than stated, especially in the way that Morley threads subtly epic bass lines into the background, repeating amazing downer crescendos that just kind of hang in the air and vibrate. Morley’s vocal are even more dilated and narcoleptic than usual, sounding like he’s singing just off mic, exhaling slowly into the mass of the three guitars, and the feeling is oddly euphoric, like a slow motion vertical ascent or your favourite rock song being gradually pulled apart in three different directions. As with all of the Gate recordings there’s an understated melancholy to the proceedings and in a way this is the most epic album from Gate to date, forsaking previous experiments in electronica and short song forms for long, endlessly unravelling jams that are smudged to the point of hallucinatory epiphany. Somehow unmistakably a Michael Morley work while simultaneously exceeding anything he has done before, this is the weirdest, greatest, most cryptic extension of his rock/jam logic to date. It’s an album that reveals more with every listening and that makes demands that most records wouldn’t even know how to articulate.
Old 07.16.2013, 04:11 AM   #66
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Live footage of Michael Morley with Nina Canal and Sara Stephenson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTm26xyyclk
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2013, 04:29 AM   #67
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Yeah, that was a great show. Taped the entire set, should (re)upload that sometime.

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2013, 05:07 AM   #68
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappard
Yeah, that was a great show. Taped the entire set, should (re)upload that sometime.
Hell yes you should!
Old 07.16.2013, 05:08 AM   #69
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This is pretty sick. Very tempted to pick up the LP from Volcanic Tongue.
Old 07.16.2013, 06:31 AM   #70
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
This is pretty sick. Very tempted to pick up the LP from Volcanic Tongue.
Assuming you mean the VT physical store: any chance you can pick up 1 or 2 copies for me? Ta in advance!

Old 07.16.2013, 07:18 AM   #71
whorefrost
invito al cielo

Hey dude, was just going to mail order rather than trek through to Glasgow, don't know if it would work out much cheaper than you ordering directly or me ordering and forwarding copies on to you.
Old 07.16.2013, 07:56 AM   #72
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
Hey dude, was just going to mail order rather than trek through to Glasgow, don't know if it would work out much cheaper than you ordering directly or me ordering and forwarding copies on to you.
Gotcha. Fair enough, will contact VT directly.

Old 07.16.2013, 08:01 AM   #73
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Is the LP a recording of that show?
Old 07.16.2013, 09:10 AM   #74
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Is the LP a recording of that show?
Doubt it. I did send my recording to Morley and Canal, but neither said they were going to use it.

Old 07.16.2013, 05:29 PM   #76
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Yeah, VT are kind of pricey
Old 07.18.2013, 05:03 PM   #77
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Doubt it. I did send my recording to Morley and Canal, but neither said they were going to use it.

I know he spent a few weeks in the WORM studio around that time, so it could well be something they recorded together in the studio.

BTW, you recorded M. Morley's set from last month in Rotterdam too, right?

edit: I mean from April... wow, time flies
Old 07.18.2013, 05:05 PM   #78
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

nevermind, new LP is indeed a recording of that 2009 show:
"Recorded by Roland Groenenboom at De Player, Rotterdam in August 2009 and mixed at My Pit, Port Chalmers, in 2011."

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Can I have a brief review, please?

sorry, I must've missed this... do you still want one?
Old 03.23.2014, 01:13 AM   #79
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

OOP Gate / Morley stuff to liberate at Bleak Bliss:
http://bleakbliss.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=morley
http://bleakbliss.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=gate
Old 03.24.2014, 05:19 PM   #80
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Ta!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth