Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page weird art...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.10.2008, 12:39 PM   #1
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
We are redecorating, and I need some weird art. Where can I get some? And I'm not looking for like cool, avante garde, whatever. I mean like just strange stuff. To buy. That's for sell. That's cheap. Understand?
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 01:06 PM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
weird artists take themselves very seriously. good luck finding it for cheap unless you know them!

I suggest making yr own, or hitting up the mall.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 01:30 PM   #3
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
No to the mall, yes to myself.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Try flea markets
Old 03.10.2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
If I were you I'd go to your local art college and post a few notices on their notice boards around the school, they should have some in the hallways near their studios or something, or ask as one of the info desk where you can post some notices for some art, there's some really talented people at art school (although not all, so make sure you see the work before you agree to pay for it) and are lacking in funds so they would love to sell some work usually.
Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 04:54 PM   #6
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
art generally isnt cheap because it generally isnt cheap to make. make it yrself and dont exploit someone's ideas and resources.
Old 03.10.2008, 04:57 PM   #7
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
flea markets yeah. you might come across some black velvet paintings (i have one)
Old 03.10.2008, 05:11 PM   #8
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
The reason I mentioned an art school is because I know that having real experience with selling and interacting with a real customer even if it's just an artwork that didn't take long to make would have been good for myself or any of the people I studied with, plus it would introduce you to the actual art world, I think lots of people think it's some unapproachable world and that all art is really expensive and expensive to make for the artist. I can speak from my experience that if you get creative you can make art for not much money, for example you can paint on anything, make things from found objects, use acrylic paints instead of oils etc, which is great for if you want something weird too, I'm guessing you're not looking for the new Rembrandt

This way you also are more likely to get something unique, even if it isn't painted with the expensive paints it wont be what everyone else has which they bought at the markets which tends to be sorta mass produced
Old 03.10.2008, 09:01 PM   #9
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina
The reason I mentioned an art school is because I know that having real experience with selling and interacting with a real customer even if it's just an artwork that didn't take long to make would have been good for myself or any of the people I studied with, plus it would introduce you to the actual art world, I think lots of people think it's some unapproachable world and that all art is really expensive and expensive to make for the artist. I can speak from my experience that if you get creative you can make art for not much money, for example you can paint on anything, make things from found objects, use acrylic paints instead of oils etc, which is great for if you want something weird too, I'm guessing you're not looking for the new Rembrandt

This way you also are more likely to get something unique, even if it isn't painted with the expensive paints it wont be what everyone else has which they bought at the markets which tends to be sorta mass produced

Yeah, but but when a peice of art is expensive, often it's because of how many countless hours were put into making it.

Everyone's oppinion of "weird" is different. It's a hard word to define....
That's beyond the point though. I'm not trying to get philosophical.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2008, 11:12 PM   #10
Kina
children of satan

I agree, what I was trying to say is that if you want cheap I would personally prefer one-off and quick and cheap to make instead of mass-produced and quick and cheap to make. When I was at art school I made heaps of stuff for practice or as an experiment to try out something that I didn't need later cause I had so much art and nowhere to put it so if someone wanted to buy it I would have gladly sold it to someone cause I was poor anyway and always needed money for art and design materials
Old 03.11.2008, 07:29 PM   #11
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
This is how the world spins round.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 07:38 PM   #12
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
There used to be a lot of interesting stuff on ebay fairly cheap?
Old 03.11.2008, 11:30 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
We are redecorating, and I need some weird art. Where can I get some? And I'm not looking for like cool, avante garde, whatever. I mean like just strange stuff. To buy. That's for sell. That's cheap. Understand?

like this shit?

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 12:01 AM   #14
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
WEIRD, not tacky

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth