Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Album thread: Rather Ripped
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I listened Rather Ripped almost next after Sonic Death and it sounded again so good, even it is very opposite if you compare it Sonic Death (diversity is one thing I like in Sonic Youth). So I wanted to start an album thread about it. This is only for you who love/like or at least think itīs ok album. All of you who hate this album have said it too many times (you can tell me reasons you hate it if you want).

Since Murray Street every 2000 Sonic album has made a lot of pleasure to me. But when I put Rather Ripped to my record player and sweet sounds of Reena came up, I was in heaven at the first moment! And that feeling continued with next songs. Then I began to think that Sonic Youth has made an album that I could recommend to my friend who didnīt like the band at all and I thought the reason was that Sonic Youth have too much noise. But then I thought that noise in Jams run free and turquise boy would still be too much for him. Altough I think Rather Ripped is the most popsy album of Sonic Youth, it is very far from mainstream music.

Nobody has ever tell me in this gossip why they hate that album so much (somebody has mentioned the lyrics, but I think in Sonic Youth music has always been much more important than lyrics). I suppose that it associated with that thing that there isnīt as much noise in Rather Ripped as there is other albums. But why Sonic Youth canīt do just a beautiful album? They have already made so many with dischords and noise.

There is only one thing I donīt like in Rather Ripped. I bought it straight when it was published but there wasnīt that lyric book. Now it seems that any extras that are with Sonic albums never comes to Europe. And thatīs wrong!!!

I love every Rather Ripped song, maybe Or isnīt very strong song but I like the feeling in it and it closes the album perfectly.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 05:49 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
you are rare. the truth of the matter most SYG folks are such haters and indy-snobs they don't even like Sonic Nurse. many folks here want SY to have played three decades worth of chordless thrash and no-wave.

I for one, also ridiculously enjoyed Rather Ripped, and the Rather Ripped tour, but most SYG folks vehemently disagreed

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 06:12 PM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Whether someone likes RR or not probably comes down to what it was that they liked about SY in the first place.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 02:32 AM   #4
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Whether someone likes RR or not probably comes down to what it was that they liked about SY in the first place.

Do you mean that if you heard Sonic Youth first time at eighties or nineties, you donīt like Rather Ripped? My first album that I heard was Goo and I love also all before albums. And I love also Rather Ripped. I know there is many fans that donīt want their favorite bands doesnīt change at all. I think that attitude is very boring. It would have been very boring if for example Dead Kennedys had made fresh fruit many times. Of course you donīt have to like all the albums youīre favourite band has made. But to me itīs very important that bands made what they want, not what their fans wants.
Old 12.07.2010, 02:37 AM   #5
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you are rare. the truth of the matter most SYG folks are such haters and indy-snobs they don't even like Sonic Nurse. many folks here want SY to have played three decades worth of chordless thrash and no-wave.

I for one, also ridiculously enjoyed Rather Ripped, and the Rather Ripped tour, but most SYG folks vehemently disagreed

So this "rather ripped case" confirms what I have noticed how people acts. Most of the people wants to belong in some community and they donīt want to say their real opinions, if they have to disagree with the community persons that have strong opinions. I truly believe that in this gossip there is persons who hates Rather Ripped only because the most of the gossip members hate it.
Old 12.07.2010, 02:47 AM   #6
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I like some of it but honestly most of the songwriting just feels really flat
Old 12.07.2010, 04:05 AM   #7
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I truly believe that in this gossip there is persons who hates Rather Ripped only because the most of the gossip members hate it.

Most of the people on here don't even listen to sonic youth.
True fact.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 04:28 AM   #8
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
I like some of it but honestly most of the songwriting just feels really flat

To my ears there has happened anything radical in Sonic Youthīs songwriting since EVOL. Of course you can say that Sleepin Around or Or is superficial song, but so are for example Ericīs Trip and Mary-Christ. They all are a little superficial songs that are spised with noise. But I like them all. And there is also lots of profound material in Rather Ripped (for example Reena, What a Waste, Jams Run Free, Rats, Turquise Boy, Pink Steam) like there is also in Daydream Nation and Goo.
Old 12.07.2010, 04:30 AM   #9
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Most of the people on here don't even listen to sonic youth.
True fact.

Why they are here? I didnīt like Red Hot Chili Peppers latest album although I like their other albums. I havenīt never been Chili Peppers gossip, but if I go there someday, I wonīt waste my time to tell all the time, how lousy album Stadium is. And I donīt hate that album although I donīt like it.
Old 12.07.2010, 05:20 AM   #10
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Well, it's not like all those who don't listen to their "more modern" output go around saying the newer records are bad, I just meant that some won't talk about theese records coz they'd rather talk about something else music-wise.
For what it's worth, I don't think RR is a "bad" album (I do love some of the songs, rats for example), but it sure doesn't strike me as deep as other ones (nurse or eternal, to name a couple "recent" ones). I liked the live versions of songs off RR quite a lot, though, which is a definite plus.
I think it overall feels like a "half step" in a direction, it's not that radical of a change nor too close to what came first, but it's being in the middle of the road doesn't win consensus. I know some will want to crucifix me for saying this, but it sounds to me like a sort of "son of murray street" (which incidentally gets praised quite a lot on here).
I can't express better what I mean, uff, weird morning.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 06:04 AM   #11
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Well, it's not like all those who don't listen to their "more modern" output go around saying the newer records are bad, I just meant that some won't talk about theese records coz they'd rather talk about something else music-wise.
For what it's worth, I don't think RR is a "bad" album (I do love some of the songs, rats for example), but it sure doesn't strike me as deep as other ones (nurse or eternal, to name a couple "recent" ones). I liked the live versions of songs off RR quite a lot, though, which is a definite plus.
I think it overall feels like a "half step" in a direction, it's not that radical of a change nor too close to what came first, but it's being in the middle of the road doesn't win consensus. I know some will want to crucifix me for saying this, but it sounds to me like a sort of "son of murray street" (which incidentally gets praised quite a lot on here).
I can't express better what I mean, uff, weird morning.

I donīt think it is not very far away to compare Rather ripped and Murray Street. Maybe the main difference is caused by Jim is on Murray and not in Rather. I think Murray is a little bit experimental and maybe a little darker and also quieter than Rather ripped that is lighter and also stronger. But they both have a lots of melodic stuff.
Old 12.07.2010, 03:19 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
So this "rather ripped case" confirms what I have noticed how people acts. Most of the people wants to belong in some community and they donīt want to say their real opinions, if they have to disagree with the community persons that have strong opinions. I truly believe that in this gossip there is persons who hates Rather Ripped only because the most of the gossip members hate it.

I don't if its entirely attributable to group-think dynamics as much as inability to accept progress/evolution/change, nostalgic idealism, and a dash of hipster "more artistic integrity than thou" snobbishness..

A lot of SY fans really enjoyed the early years, but could not necessarily embrace the later years, and in their inability to accept change, they instead of still embracing the bands new directions decided to fight against it as the torch bearers, the flag wavers of the by-gone era. This is quite common in many music scenes, and people have this right to a preference, so long as they are not assholes about it, and many in SYG in regards to the new albums unfortunately have been nothing but assholes.

For my two-cents, I came into SY in 1998 on the 1000 Leaves era, and I adore most the art-rock, experimental, jamming yet chord driven ambient sounds of the 1998-2005 era of SY where they combined the noise and experimentation of the early 80s with the structure and musicality of the post-day dream nation era..

BUT, this does not mean I do not also love things like Sonic Death, because as much as I prefer the more ambient SY, I also love the noise/no-wave stuff on its own level. But I am a bit more eclectic and diverse in my musical tastes than others on SYG, I go from roots to soul to crust to metal to yay area hip hop to delta blues to traditional Ethiopian mezmur to no-wave to riot grrl to the Grateful Dead (live only) so I might not be exactly representative of SYG as a whole

Old 12.07.2010, 03:51 PM   #13
logicalharm
little trouble girl

logicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asses
I love Rather Ripped, and this is coming from someone whose favorite is Bad Moon Rising. Yes, I would feel ambivalent about playing it for someone who didn't know them, just because it is not at all representational of their larger body of work. I just take it for what it is - a light, positive album to dance around to a bit.

That said, I do quite dislike Sleeping Around and The Neutral.
logicalharm is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 03:53 PM   #14
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
For me Rather Ripped is kind of bland, but sometimes it really hits the spot.
Old 12.07.2010, 07:37 PM   #15
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Rather Ripped might as well have been the Decemberists or some shit.

Sucked.
Old 12.07.2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand why the album is so hated. i mean.. obviously its no confusion is sex/sister/BMR etc. but theres still pretty cool songs on it (Reena, Rats, What a Waste, Pink Steam) i think its a decent album. definitely nothing horrid. the worse SY album ive heard would be "the eternal"
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 08:31 PM   #17
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I don't understand why the album is so hated. i mean.. obviously its no confusion is sex/sister/BMR etc. but theres still pretty cool songs on it (Reena, Rats, What a Waste, Pink Steam) i think its a decent album. definitely nothing horrid. the worse SY album ive heard would be "the eternal"

Me thinking it sucks has nothing to do with the fact that it didn't sound like an 80's SY album. Matter of fact, two of my top 3 SY albums were released after the 80's (Bad Moon Rising, A Thousand Leaves, Sonic Nurse). It just sounded uninspired/lazy. Or maybe they were (as has been suggested) hoping to do something a bit more commercially acceptable in hopes of leaving Geffen with a hit. Who knows? All I know is that the album boggled my mind the first time I heard it...I didn't like it when it was released, and despite several attempts of listening to it, I still don't like it.

Rats and Pink Steam are my favorite songs on the album, but I can barely bring myself to even sit through those.

As far as the Eternal...I've got mixed feelings on some of it, but for the most part I think that album kicks ass. Way better than Rather Ripped in my opinion.
Old 12.07.2010, 09:42 PM   #18
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
it depends on personal preference. i was just pointing out that compared to other SY albums it is disappointing. but i was able to enjoy a few tracks on it, i dont relate to others when they say its "horrible", which isnt a bad thing really. pretty cool that you have sonic nurse in your top 3 by the way, i wasnt expecting that.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 10:14 PM   #19
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Sonic Nurse is nothing short of being totally amazing! Stones, I Love You Golden Blue, Peace Attack...the whole album, really. I can't think of a single aspect of that album that I do not like.

I Love You Golden Blue, to me, is Kim's absolute best vocal performance. I love the noisy/ambient build up and how that little riff just sneaks it's way in there....so beautiful.

As lame as it might sound, that record holds a very special place in my heart....which I think is part of the issue w/ the Youth for me. They've written some of the most brutal/thought provoking/beautiful music I've ever heard, and whenever I hear something new from them I have very high expectations (well, I did...). Rather Ripped was a let down....

I don't have high expectations for too many things in this world, but I always have when it comes to music...esp. those select few bands I consider to my favorites. Like, I know the next SY record is going to be great...just in the sme way that I knew Rather Ripped was going to be great (of course, I was wrong). I just know what some are capable of doing.
Old 12.07.2010, 10:16 PM   #20
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Sonic Nurse is nothing short of being totally amazing!

As lame as it might sound, that record holds a very special place in my heart....which I think is part of the issue w/ the Youth for me..

Rather Ripped was a let down....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ann ashtray again

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth