Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page your experiences meeting SY
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.02.2009, 11:19 AM   #21
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, man, this thread has gotten me so excited for tonight. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have a chance to speak to them. I'll be waiting at the door after the show!

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 11:20 AM   #22
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
I met lee while locked outside of a sonic youth show I couldn't get into.
He gave me a free copy of rather ripped (it was brand new at the time) and talked with me briefly... I think he felt sorry for me.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 11:24 AM   #23
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
I was at MoMA (NYC) in 1994 and I saw Lee looking at some art. It didn't even occur to me that I should introduce myself. I guess I was starstruck.

In 1995 I went to the Knitting Factory to see Thurston. I was hanging out in the lobby before the show when Thurston walked through the door carrying his amp. I just stared at him curiously without approaching him. He stared right back. It was kind of evil. I should have been more grateful for his presence. It was a great show.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 11:42 AM   #24
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
If someone seems standoffish it could act as a barrier. That way it makes you think twice about spewing your fanboy shit. If you really have something interesting to say then you can say it.

I can say that it truly made my day to talk to someone I really admire.

"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
Old 07.02.2009, 11:45 AM   #25
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
met thurston.....nice guy...
met steve....nicest guy ever.....totally cool!
there is another thread where i go into more detail!
Old 07.02.2009, 11:50 AM   #26
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
I am just copying what I wrote the last few times this was asked...
----
Told my story too many times too, but since you want to know...

PART ONE:
I was lucky enough to get backstage after a show at the El Rey in 2002. This show in fact: http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/082502.html
Notice Jim said it was "the best show he ever played".

First I met the girls from Quixotic, they had opened and were quite good. Then I was led upstairs into a dressing room type area where I first met Thurston, holy fuck is he hott. He signed my ticket stub and gave me one of those arm around the shoulder handshake type hugs. I almost died. He was so cool, kind and funny as hell. He proceeded to entertain the tiny room, filled mostly with friends from LA, with 'Year Punk Broke' style rants talking about everything from politics to the current music scene, or lack there of. He talked about all sorts of shit, politics, jazz, the fucked up radio performance they had to do on KCRW the next day, etc. This orgasmic experience lasted for about 15 minutes. Then sweet little Jim came in and stood by us and I told him how much ass he kicked that night. He also signed my tix stub. He proceeded to talk to us for about a half an hour, a real conversation. We talked about poetry, Wilco, Gastr Del Sol, local art museums and SY. He was so cute, humble, shy and down to earth. He even got me a bottle of water from their supply (which I still have!) Kim then came out from a smaller room, having changed after the show, she was the most intimidating, hard core, amazing woman I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. There was just this aura around her that I can not explain. Jim actually introduced me to her, she signed a cocktail napkin for me and was cool too. Unfortunately, I did not get to meet Steve and Lee that night. They had disappeared...

My friend Trena and I backstage that night, happy as hell. (Again, I'm the one w/the blue toes) Pics:

Autograph Pics:

PART TWO:
Jimmy Kimmel show, Los Angeles CA 07/11/06- Having not gotten to meet Steve & Lee before- I was on a mission. After the taping and before the Virgin record store signing, I finally got to meet & greet. It was brief and I was unprepared since the Kimmel show would not let us have cameras and shit. But I met Lee & Steve, shook their hands, told them how much what they did means to us. They also knew me from the board which I still don't know if that's really cool, or quite pathetic. But, they too were the most humble, kind, kick ass guys ever. Going to shows rocks, but meeting your idols rocks harder.

PART THREE:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17487&highlight=thurston

PART FOUR:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?p=777013&highlight=thurston#post777 013

PART FIVE:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18057&highlight=ecstatic+peace

Since all those posts ^ I have met them all a couple times each. Every experience was special. I have multiple autographs from them now on different memorabilia, my most prized is probably Thurston’s love note in my MixTape book.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 12:50 PM   #27
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Byron Coley accidentally bumped into me in Astor Place crossing the street once (early this year? my memory is shit, it was when him and Thurston were doing those round of talks about the No Wave book in NYC). So he's all apologetic and I just go "You're Byron Coley!" and he seemed really surprised that I knew who he was, and then I noticed Thurston was right near him chuckling. Nice guys.

A couple years ago I went to meet my friend who was working one of the fashion shows at Bryant Park and Kim (looking fabulous) and VINCENT GALLO strutted past. She noticed I was looking at her and gave a very timid smile. I don't blame her for being reclusive, I probably would do the same in her position of mini-fame.

I also saw Mark Ibold on the 7 train once which was just unexpected. Didn't say anything to him.

This doesn't pertain to an actual meeting, but I remember watching Eyewitness News in nyc sometime in 2007. Thus story came up about a parent-student protest of some kind at an inner-city school and they interviewed LEE. "Lee Ranaldo - Parent." Does he still live in the city? I know he has young kids, so it was related to that.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 02:18 PM   #28
baby bulldog
bad moon rising

baby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's asses
Very cool-regular peeps
baby bulldog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 02:57 PM   #29
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
It's really funny and almost sad in a way, but I remember passing Lee in the street about an hour before a Sonic Youth gig in Glasgow. I was too surprised/shy to talk to him (really, he was gone by the time I'd fully realised anyway). He walked through the front doors to get in. The sad part is because he walked past all the kids who were hanging around outside in Sonic Youth t-shirts and not one of them recognised him.

I bet that's also a blessing too though, to be able to walk around like that and not get harrassed. You get to be famous and also non-famous all at once.

And as far as Thursty goes: I met him in a record shop in Glasgow and he was as charming and laidback as you'd expect. Really nice guy and not stuck up or pretentious at all. He was raving about some band I had never heard of before (and probably no one else has ever heard of).

I'd love to meet Kim but I'd be a bit in awe as well.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:12 PM   #30
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
i love these threads. cool stories.

man, i'm even embarrassed just by imagining running into any of SY before/after a show. "teehee, yr thurston moore omgz. great show, awesome. that like made my life. OMG LEEEEEEEEEE!"
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:19 PM   #31
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
It's really funny and almost sad in a way, but I remember passing Lee in the street about an hour before a Sonic Youth gig in Glasgow. I was too surprised/shy to talk to him (really, he was gone by the time I'd fully realised anyway). He walked through the front doors to get in. The sad part is because he walked past all the kids who were hanging around outside in Sonic Youth t-shirts and not one of them recognised him.

I bet that's also a blessing too though, to be able to walk around like that and not get harrassed. You get to be famous and also non-famous all at once.

And as far as Thursty goes: I met him in a record shop in Glasgow and he was as charming and laidback as you'd expect. Really nice guy and not stuck up or pretentious at all. He was raving about some band I had never heard of before (and probably no one else has ever heard of).

I'd love to meet Kim but I'd be a bit in awe as well.
What record shop did you see him in?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 04:31 PM   #32
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I waited for them but they never showed :-(
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 04:54 PM   #33
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
I met Lee at a Text Of Light show in 07. It was really neat. He was really friendly and talkative. I asked to get my picture taken with him. He said, "Only if I can I get my picture taken with you" so I did, and so he did. It was lovely. He's very friendly
Old 07.03.2009, 02:01 AM   #34
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
I hope to meet them next time I see them. I'm extremely shy and probably won't know what to say. Hopefully I can get something signed.

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2009, 02:18 AM   #35
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going through my stuff right now thinking of what to get signed - I might have them sign a small poster I have hanging in my room that I got for free when I purchased one of their CD's (on one side it's an awesome picture of them, and on the other it's promoting DDN Deluxe.
Or EVOL.

Old 07.03.2009, 02:21 AM   #36
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

The CD booklet if you want to get technical.
I might just do that -it'll be easier.

Old 07.03.2009, 02:33 AM   #37
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

I've never gotten anything signed before so I'm nervous.

Old 07.03.2009, 02:35 AM   #38
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
I actually just met Thurston and Kim earlier this evening! I was a dream come true and I almost cried out loud from joy.

First Kim came out. I thanked her and told her that Sonic Youth means so much to me, they changed my life. She smiled and replied "hopefully for the better." I told her yes, certainly, and then wished her luck in NYC tomm.

Then Thurston came out. He made a joke about how he was trying to get the new songs straight and seemed appreciative when i told him that i am a huge fan. Then he shook my hand and asked if i had seen kim. i pointed where she had gone and wished him good luck traveling to nyc.

amazing night. sonic love, sonic love.

Old 07.03.2009, 02:44 AM   #39
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
just do it....like, itll be one of those things youll remember for the rest of yr life. i promise. you dont have to talk...not really...just "hey, erm, you guys were awesome tonight, can ya sign this"..."sure"...."thanks"...

that easy.

yes that's true. it worked for me, and I'm not really a chatty person indeed.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2009, 03:05 AM   #40
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Seriously. I was surprised by how approachable they are!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth