Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.04.2016, 10:16 PM   #1001
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, "Who I am" sounds so much like Forever-era Wu-Tang. Damn.

Edit: ok, all of this sounds like Wu-Tang. I mean, it's good. Really good! But I'm surprised. I thought that during this period in Def Jam's history, the Roc crew and Wu-Tang were kind of at odds with one another. I have read a few Wu accounts of running into Jay in the building and Jay acting like a total asshole.

Funny, if that's the case, because this album sounds like a study in recreating the late '90s/early '00s Wu-Tang sound.

It's a good record though, and it's taking me back. Making me want to listen to Wu (which I haven't really been able to do since I admitted to myself that A Better Tomorrow was wack as hell). But some individuality shines through. This is nowhere near the level of Purple Haze, but it's definitely the kind of thing I would have listened to had I not been sleeping on it at the time of its release.

Happy to have it. Loving "More than Music" and "Who I Am" most so far.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2016, 12:26 AM   #1002
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, I just heard this new album by Bas and I wasn't expecting it to be great, but it's really goddam good.

You all need to hear this:

BAS - TO HIGH TO RIOT

There are some hints of latter day Kanye in the production, but the songs are lyrical. There's an almost underground feel to it reminiscent of El-p, but with more soul. I'd also compare it to Kendrick in terms of lyrical content, and Pusha in terms of beat choices.

Features from J. Cole and Cozz.

I'm just really surprised by how much I like it. If I continue listening to it and don't get bored, this could potentially be a big one for me.

Let me know what y'all think.
Old 03.05.2016, 12:51 AM   #1003
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
That's awesome! I could swear I heard Prince's voice on the alb. for a second, but I expect not. Prince, though... What a dope ass motherfucker to use as inspiration in hip-hop.
On track 6? That was Cee Lo my man. He ate that shit!
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2016, 12:52 AM   #1004
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yo, NR! I picked up Diplomatic Immunity (the first one) and Ima pump that shot right now. Then I'll get into the indie stuff later. Thanks bro.
Diplomatic Immunity is one of the best rap albums of the past decade, in my opinion. Cam'ron and Juelz Santana at the top of their game over classic soul beats by Heatmakerz, Kanye and Just Blaze. A double disc without filler? Now that's crazy!
Old 03.05.2016, 12:56 AM   #1005
louder
invito al cielo

I'll check out the Bas album soon, thanks.
Old 03.05.2016, 02:33 AM   #1006
louder
invito al cielo

Punch's explanation for the title "untitled unmastered." makes perfect sense especially because the album IS in fact mastered, lol.
Old 03.05.2016, 12:24 PM   #1007
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Diplomatic Immunity is one of the best rap albums of the past decade, in my opinion. Cam'ron and Juelz Santana at the top of their game over classic soul beats by Heatmakerz, Kanye and Just Blaze. A double disc without filler? Now that's crazy!

Yeah, I can hear Kanye's production. I just know it when I hear it at this point, even if I didn't know he was involved (which I didn't, not with this album).

But doesn't it sound Wu-tangy to you? Not exactly like an imitation, because I can't deny that it's high quality all around (except for those little breaks and skit segments... I never like skits. Just me, maybe), but I definitely hear a Wu vibe on the record. It's not as blatant as the first couple Jedi Mind Tricks records, which were just plain imitations even though I enjoy them, but the influence of Rza's post-36 chambers production is very clear to me.

Anyway I'm really liking it. Like, a lot. I might have to just chill with this album for a while before moving on to the next one, that's how much I'm digging it. I listened to the whole thing on the same day that new albums from Kendrick and Big Ups and Bas dropped, so that should tell you something
Old 03.05.2016, 12:33 PM   #1008
Severian
invito al cielo

Hey louder, not to dredge up old shit, but I wanted to mention that I got the new issue of Rolling Stone in the mail yesterday, and it had a goddamn glowing review of The Life of Pablo. 4.5/5 stars, best reviewed album of the year so far for them, I think.

Anyway, I'm not here to gloat about the fact that the critical verdict is in, and unanimously positive among all major media publications** but I do think you should check out the Rolling Stone review, because it has an interesting take on the album's sloppiness, and despite the praise, it does nail Ye for trying to get "cheap laughs" and failing. But it frames all that's stuff in an interesting context, and I'd like to hear your input.

(** I will do a wee bit of gloat-free "summarizing," however: SPIN called it "essential," pitchfork and Rolling Stone gave it near perfect ratings, and CoS. NPR and the Guardian all praised it. )
Old 03.05.2016, 12:43 PM   #1009
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
just stepping to say im enjoying the new Kendrick. wowee!!!

fuck! got myself a playable hip hop album this weekend.

Yeah, I'm loving it. It was a nice surprise.

I actually got a tip-off about the album on Wednesday or Thursday. Some dark corner of the AP wire had a short story about Spotify accidentally uploading a new release by Kendrick Lamar for a minute a day early, then taking it down. But I assumed it was a single or a Spotify Session or something, and didn't read past the headline.

There was also an article on Flipboard that I didn't notice until yesterday that was posted on Thurs. that said "New Kendrick Lamar album, out tomorrow, pre-order your copy today!" So it really shouldn't have been a surprise. If I'd been paying attention I could have spoiled it for everyone. Lol!

Super glad it was a surprise though. I woke up to the news, downloaded the album from iTunes immediately (just as I did when TPAB was released a week early) and it made for one exciting morning, I tell ya.
Old 03.05.2016, 12:50 PM   #1010
Severian
invito al cielo

Did I mention that TLOP managed to DOUBLE the number of subscribers to TIDAL over a single 48 hour period?

Also, apparently Kanye is the one and only reason the album's streams weren't translated into sales. Billboard has updated its practices for certifying gold and platinum albums, and has a formula for translating streams into sales. TIDAL has release its figures to Billboard before, and according to Billboard, the only time they don't do that is if an artist explicitly requests that it not be done. That means Kanye prevented the album from making the charts himself.

It also means that Beyoncé (or perhaps Jay-Z) is responsible for the sales/streams of "Formation" not showing up on Billboard.

This appears to be sort of a deliberate move on behalf of this close knit group of artists. I wonder if it has something to do with #BlackLivesMatter/OscarSoWhite, etc. maybe it's a way to reclaim black music from The White Man and his system? I dunno.

Did I mention TLOP is the best reviewed album of the year so far despite not really quite being an album?
Old 03.05.2016, 02:00 PM   #1011
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
So happy to see a new Dipset fan.
Old 03.05.2016, 02:27 PM   #1012
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
So happy to see a new Dipset fan.

Do you see where I'm coming from with the Wu comparison though? I'm not saying DI is a ripoff, it's got too much personality for that, but a lot of the songs have a very Wu-Tang circa late '90s feel to them from where I'm sitting. Do you agree or am I just batshit crazy?
Old 03.05.2016, 02:30 PM   #1013
Severian
invito al cielo

Y'all let me know what you think of Bas - Too High to Riot ok? It's on Spotify and Apple and readily available for y'alls asses. Give it a spin and tell me if I done good or not.

Personally, I think I picked a winner here.
Old 03.05.2016, 02:52 PM   #1014
louder
invito al cielo

Yeah Sev I can see what you mean, both groups are from New York and "Who Am I" could qualify as a top emotional Ghostface song.
Old 03.05.2016, 03:29 PM   #1015
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah, I definitely hear Ghostface in there.

I guess that songs called "Who am I," I was calling it "Who I am" ... whoops.
Old 03.05.2016, 04:35 PM   #1016
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
dude's flow is soo precise and polyrhythmic. gives me chills all over my head.

Kendrick could rap to a track of a drum set falling down stars.

oh, and the jazzy touches are more than nice.

Yeah, there have been a lot of "best rappers alive" in the past decade. According to those rappers, of course. But unlike Lil Wayne and Thug and whoever the hell else, Kendrick Lamar is, very clearly, the most technically proficient rapper around. Wayne may have been the biggest for a while, event the most interesting... maybe the others were too. But with Kendrick it's like... damn man. Dude's the Coltrane of flow. I like Kanye's music more, but Kendrick Lamar is without parallel in terms of skill. How the hell did he get so good?

Honestly. Remember way back when Eminem's flow seemed ungodly? Nothing Em has done can touch Kendrick on his off days. Seeing him live was electrifying, and he only had one album of material out at the time.
Old 03.05.2016, 04:39 PM   #1017
Severian
invito al cielo

I've been thinking about the K and J Cole collab. a lot, and I think J's cool and all, but it's become clear to me (especially from his cameos on Too High to Riot) that Colr has stopped trying to be Jay-Z, or trying to emulate early Kanye, and that he has more or less decided to be Kendrick light.

After some real consideration, I would much rather see Kendrick do a split album with Chance. Their styles are complimentary, but drastically different. So that's the hip-hop collab I'm praying for right now. Fuck Drake and Future. Kendrick and Chance would be absolutely fucking EPIC.
Old 03.05.2016, 07:01 PM   #1018
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Honestly. Remember way back when Eminem's flow seemed ungodly..

No they sucked

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2016, 07:27 PM   #1019
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
No they sucked

Hah! Yes. I understand this now. But there was a time when a lot of people, including myself, thought he was incredible. Didn't realize just how bad he was (not technically bad, just musically and lyircally and conceptually bad) until I saw that video where he was falling off the building rapping about boring ass dramatic Christ-figure bullshit. When was that? That he basically became the Creed of rap? Way too conscious of his own "bigness"? Was that Encore? Whatever.

Yeah he sucks, but he didn't always suck as much as he sucks now and has sucked since... 1999. Ha!

There were a few moments on MMLPII that got my blood up, but that can happen with anyone. He's awful. Everything about him is terrible. I partially blame him for Lil Wayne's fall from grace. Em was scared that Wayne was better than he was (even rapped about it), and then he appeared on Rebirth and Wayne never sounded the same again.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that Kendrick makes it painfully obvious how utterly small many "technical" rappers really are. Em is a joke by comparison.
Old 03.05.2016, 07:44 PM   #1020
Severian
invito al cielo

You guys really need to listen to this Bas record. Here, here's the title track:

Bas - "Too High to Riot" YouTube

Here's another joint:
Bas - "Methylone" (feat. Cozz) Official YouTube

This is an interesting album for 2016. It has drug themes, but doesn't promote drug use or necessarily speak out against it. It's very lyrical and philosophical, like something you'd hear in the late '90s during Talib and Mos's era. It has a definite underground feel to it, and it's a little spiritual, but it doesn't bash you over the head with hoodoo horseshit like the most recent Underachievers album. The production is clean and fresh, reminiscent of Lupe's Tetsuo & Youth at times, with that kind of Spring time, Gershwin feel. But the production is never the big show. It's along the lines of Kendrick and the few other rappers who are trying to talk about more than how great they are.

It sometimes sounds a bit dated to me, but maybe that's just because it's not club rap, and so much of what's out now is. There's a psychedelic feel to it that at times reminds me of At.Long.Last.A$AP.

I'm really eager to hear what you guys think. This release just kinda came out of nowhere for me, and I've been trying to proved it alongside several other new/recently purchased albums

*shrug*
484950 51 52535461101151 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth