Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Have any member of SY ever review a Jim O'Rourke release?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.15.2007, 01:20 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i think they secretly hate jim.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 09:19 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
seriously! i mean, not only did he work with gastr del sol (who is better than sonic youth)........... he has made solo albums that are better than sonic youth member's solo albums and better than most of sonic youth's actual material!

the whole jim thing was so weird. it was like "yeah, he's producing us now!" "no, now he's in the band!" "he's not with us anymore..." what the fuck happened there? so weird.

anyway, i'm making your type right now, and i'll mail it this tuesday for sure along with a batch of other people's stuff.. goddamn post office.. there's some fat greasy dude there who's like 60 with long hair and zits and his breath stinks and he has the kind of breath that you can be 5 feet away from him and you smell his breath like it's RIGHT THERE, an inch from you.. it's so overwhelming..

Old 08.15.2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, but, i mean sy have played with far more accomplished people too, individually and collectively; and besides, they jim's in japan but he seems to still be in touch with them, he jammed with them when they hit japan. but that's not the issue.

i just wanted to read what his solo music sounded to them.

your post office sucks, too bad, at the post office i go there's this very nice ladies who are always really cool to me. can't wait to get the tape.

by the way, i'd love to listen to the warmth/robe split 7", if you get any distro copies, i'll buy you one.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 02:10 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeah, i always just kinda thought sonic youth really respected jim, but in the few interviews i've read.. well, he hasn't said much (if anything) while with them and they hardly have ever mentioned him. very weird.

i made art for the tape tonight. i'm surprised (maybe not) about how many people want to buy the tape off of me rather than the cd.. it actually makes me kinda happy.

uhh.. lemme think.. i'm pretty sure kyle (bass player) is ordering some copies.. but i'm kinda thinking he's only ordering a few since he doesn't have a job.. and i think he's giving those to this music store in bloomington.. he has to pay $8 for the copies, which is the same as anyone else buying them from black horizons... i'm PRETTY SURE. i'll find out for sure, but i remember him not getting free copies (except a few for the other band members.. but he hasn't even given me a copy yet!) and not getting a discount since vinyl's expensive!... i did hear the test pressing, and it was GREAT! the warmth side is amazing! the robe. side is okay, we sent a kinda crappy song in for it and then we sent a better song and for some reason, through some error, the crappier of the two songs is on the vinyl instead of the better song!! haha. oh well. the "better song" ended up being on the jktapes release.

so yeah, i'll see what's up, but it'd probably be better to buy it directly from black horizons if you can. of course, i can upload it in mp3 if you want to hear it that way or even send you a burnt copy.

robe.'s on sort of a hiatus, because i wanted to focus on some new scissor shock stuff and in the meantime kyle's been recording like all this solo stuff and releasing it as "robe", which kinda.. well, some of it's cool, but when i told him he could do that i thought he'd release like 1 or 2 things and he's done probably 10 releases that me and booe aren't even on (though he has taken bits of our playing and used them for the songs, there are still a few releases i haven't even heard, and what i have heard doesn't compare to all of us working together). so, yeah, things are kinda weird with all that right now, but on the bright side, all the stuff he's been doing are just for little ep's and splits and not any huge releases, and i'm going to talk to him about it soon.. he's been working on a film that we did the music to and it's really cool and i'm really excited about that more than anything. it's just this crazy dark film and it may be the first true "Doom" film, and that idea excites me a lot.

haha funny how we're the only ones on this thread and it now has nothing to do with the subject.

Old 08.16.2007, 10:11 AM   #7
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
awesome can't wait.

i asked because i thought you were going to get distro copies, i might as well buy it from them.

that thing with the movie sounds pretty awesome, hope the robe thing gets sorted.

yeah, i guess sy have never reviewed anything with jimo' in it.
Old 08.16.2007, 11:06 AM   #8
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
awesome can't wait.

i asked because i thought you were going to get distro copies, i might as well buy it from them.

that thing with the movie sounds pretty awesome, hope the robe thing gets sorted.

yeah, i guess sy have never reviewed anything with jimo' in it.

why would SY review Jim O?
i dunno to me its a silly question. does Jim O review SY???
i mean thurston along w/ Lee has spoken highly of Jim even back before he was involved with the band. and still do think of him highly as thurston was even quoted as to saying that there will certainly be future involvement w/ Jim...what else needs to be said? Why would either Jim or SY dwell on the subject of their collaborative end?
as far as i understand, it was Jim's decision to leave the band to engage in his interest in Filmmaking and his infatuation w/ Japanese culture, and his growing disinterest in music making. though he still is involved with music and putting out recordings i think its on a much less scale and nothing really under his name alone as a big solo project. Its no surprise that he left SY he was never one to be known to be involved in a long-term band/project, even back when he was in Illusion of Safety and Gastr Del Sol. He's even been quoted as saying that he doesn't want to be involved in such bands or projects for a along period.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 11:33 AM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

what the fuck is your problem?

i don't know if you know but jimo had a career (bands, collaborations, tons of albums) before joining the band.

and i don't know if you know, but all four members of the band write and have always written, some of which are reviews and they have been published. in fact, they had their own fanzine.

my question was if anybody had a link to a review of eureka or happy days or a gastr del sol album or whatever by thurston or lee or kim or steve, just because i want to read how they describe his music.

fuck, i can't start a honest thread, can i?
Old 08.16.2007, 04:24 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha everyneurotic wins.

and yeah i agree.. it would be amazing to see what sy thought of jim's music.. i don't think they ever said anything.. i mean, there has to be some reason they wanted him in the band besides, "ya he can play chimey guitar on a few songz an' laptop on dat one song"

Old 08.16.2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

they were fans, on the first table of the elements festival, they went to see him and got to talk to him afterwards.

i know that much, i wanted to read thurston say "happy days by nutto contempo americano wild man jim o'rourke is some jelly creaming soundscape that's lovelier than your grandma's cookies and scarier than her feet." or something like that.
Old 08.16.2007, 10:00 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

hey everyneurotic, i talked to kyle from robe. and he is getting sent a bunch of copies of the vinyl to distribute.. one for each band member.. a few for this store to sell.. and he's going to have some extra copies.. so i told him he should sell you a copy.. so if you want one, email the robe myspace (http://www.myspace.com/robedot) since he handles that. hopefully he'll give you a good deal on 'em. i told him to haha.

Old 08.16.2007, 10:32 PM   #13
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses

thurston moore likes to pose with "insignificance" (you will notice that kim, maybe not so much). which may be its own review.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth