Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Michael Gira fans: thoughts on the Larkin Grimm accusations?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.27.2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm really in a bit of a quandary about this whole thing. I don't want to ignore it and say nothing, but I also don't want to advertise certain "loaded" words because at this point this is all unsubstantiated, and the situation itself is convoluted and weird as hell.

But the truth is that Michael Gira is being accused of ... stuff... by Larkin Grimm, and after reading everyone's two cents on the matter, I have no idea how to feel about any of this.

It's one hell of a bizarre story. I don't want to imply a bias, but I'm a lifelong Swans fan and that's probably something most of you know about me by now. That doesn't mean I believe Gira or his wife over Larkin. Doesn't mean the opposite. I don't have enough information to form a well informed opinion, so I hope people will just read it for themselves if they haven't already.

Read about it on Stereogum

Maybe we should be talking about this. Maybe that's the last thing we should be doing. I really don't know.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I'm really looking forward to some drama around this story.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2016, 01:49 PM   #3
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
first of all, can you ever trust an indie folkie acoustic twee singer? the answer is no. gira is innocent. case closed.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
first of all, can you ever trust an indie folkie acoustic twee singer? the answer is no. gira is innocent. case closed.

Hah.
Old 02.27.2016, 01:56 PM   #5
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
but seriously.

i dont believe her.

i believe giras wife.

when she said "people thought michael and i had a love affair, and in a way maybe we did" - you just know that this is narcissistic self promotion.
Old 02.27.2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
But he's such an intense artist. I bet he read Alice Miller's ''The Drama of Being a Child'' and never recovered.
Old 02.27.2016, 02:14 PM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
but seriously.

i dont believe her.

i believe giras wife.

when she said "people thought michael and i had a love affair, and in a way maybe we did" - you just know that this is narcissistic self promotion.

Yeah, it's all a bit fishy and weird. And it happened so long ago. But I'm a male Swans fan, so my first impulse was to question myself.

Also, I can't imagine Gira saying, "I'm gonna make you a star, trust me."
That's a total bias of mine, based on my limited interactions with him and my impression of him as an artist, but... yeah, just can't see it.
Old 02.27.2016, 02:43 PM   #8
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

nope.
Old 02.27.2016, 02:43 PM   #9
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Who knows what the hell is going on.

The bit where the wife claims to have "proof" brings up an interesting question: why not reveal this proof and end the whole thing?

Frankly, this is depressing, especially since a link somewhere or other alerted me to the Kesha vs Dr Luke thing, which I didn't know anything about.

I think every man should be castrated. We can surgically extract jizz whenever we need a few more people.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2016, 02:49 PM   #10
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

cos they are actively consulting with lawyers.

larkin isn't, she's just coming up with ways to gain attention now that she left yale and her shitty indie folk career is dying.

the truth will out and maybe finally the evil of indie folk will be defeated.
Old 02.27.2016, 02:52 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
This is why smart men keep their their dicks in their pants. Whatever is the truth, sounds to me like could have been prevented by keeping the working relationship professional. Keep sex out of professional relationship or friendships.

We also shouldn't be quick to condemn anyone in this, whether her or him
We don't know. What we do know is there is a fair accusation worth investigating.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2016, 03:11 PM   #12
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

N: What was the writing and recording process like for Parplar, and how did it differ from your process of creating previous work?

LG: First of all I wrote the songs before recording them,which I had never done before. Then I welcomed a notorious pervert to have his way with my songs, and he ended up just wanting to help me make them as beautiful as they were inside my head. I didn’t fight with Michael Gira nearly as much as I expected to. He is a psychic, seeing deeply into my own personal vision, and he was very respectful and helpful and useful. We did a lot of surrendering. We said yes to everything. We did it quickly and we didn’t question ourselves. There was total confidence and joy in the making of this album. It practically created itself.

Making this record was different from the others also in that I
invited a man to balance my feminine energy somewhat and banish the
radioactive pink unicorns from my ovaries. Michael thinks I became a
woman in the process of making this record, like I was a little girl
before. He is partially right, but I wasn’t a child, I was an alien
and genderless creature. Now I am a Femme Fatale. Watch out.
Old 02.27.2016, 03:15 PM   #13
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

What we do know is there is a fair accusation worth investigating.
Exactly. It's not a far-fetched idea to see Michael Gira forcing himself on some girl. After all, he is an artiste with strong views of himself and narcissistic drive.
Old 02.27.2016, 03:45 PM   #14
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Dead_b: people can be weird, self-absorbed, dress goofy and be worried about their career and still be telling the truth. Not saying she is, but the arguments you're putting forth are making me uncomfortable.
Old 02.27.2016, 03:47 PM   #15
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

im sure gira feels way more uncomfortable knowing that he's being falsely accused of rape

also dont draw universals from what i say about this one case.
Old 02.27.2016, 03:49 PM   #16
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

burden of proof lies with the accuser
Old 02.27.2016, 03:57 PM   #17
evollove
invito al cielo

No universal blame. You clearly don't like this one individual person.

And yeah, I'm sure Gira isn't having fun. Next to child molestation or being a Creed fan, I can't think of a worse accusation to make against someone.
Old 02.27.2016, 04:03 PM   #18
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

in recent years rich white feminists have been fighting to redefine the notion of consent so that its something the women can decide, arbitrarily, anytime whatsoever after the act of sex.

they do this for power and money and out of their own fucked up pathologies.

it's not surprising that these women who are at the pinnacle of access to contraception, easy divorce and abortion would resort to this. she went to yale, her career is failing. notice the dripping entitlement from every word she wrote. she literally says its giras fault people dont like her and she doesnt have the career she wants. she literally says that.

this is our fucked up world of gender studies and 24/7 smartphone hd bukkake. rich men use women as disposable commodities and rich women use and destroy men for their own narcissism or for money.

people are used as commodities and masturbatory prothesis because THAT'S WHAT WE ARE until the rich can literally create bodies and body parts from machines. the human waste ie. us is to be eliminated as a threat.

all of this shit will continue until reproduction is severed from the body completely and narcissism replaces the sexual relationship. its already happening.

-

its so obvious she's talking shit and was not perturbed in the slightest about the bumbling consensual moment where gira saw sense and decided not to fuck the crazy pussy who was obviously enticing him and using him. i so do not believe a word of what she says. even if i did like her music i still wouldn't believe her

also, im sorry but did any of you read jennifer giras story of being an actual rape victim and not immeadiately think the chances of someone like her defending michael like that if there was ANY doubt in her mind are pretty fuckin low?
Old 02.27.2016, 04:07 PM   #19
evollove
invito al cielo

Alright. The Marxist in me is with you. But what about this:

Quote:
it's not surprising that these women...

I'm just curious. Is there a long list of false accusations against high-profile targets? Just asking.
Old 02.27.2016, 04:09 PM   #20
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

thats a typo

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth