Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Avey Tare's new record- WTF?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.28.2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Amnesiac3240
empty page

Amnesiac3240 is a jewel in the roughAmnesiac3240 is a jewel in the roughAmnesiac3240 is a jewel in the rough
He's releasing it backwards. Wait... what? Yeah he's releasing it backwards. Does anyone else think thats crazy? I'v heard a few of the tracks and it is sooo much better the regular way. Its really quite good that way. But this reverse business? It seems so dumb to me.

This is what Avey said himself:
"hey guys that is indeed the record, no tricks involved here, no concepts. We just really like it that way. Hope thats cool. Were not bummed. i hope youre not...

Its not really an issue of prefering the songs backwards. Its more of the fact that this is a release we wanted to put out. It has a foreign/other quality and as you said nice warm ambient quality that we like. I wouldnt really say its a noise record. Ive put tons and tons of work into songs noone will ever hear why should it stop me from doing what i want with them. its just because you guys know the songs and can even hear them reversed on your computers that makes you have all these confused thoughts. If you couldnt download bootlegs of the songs and couldnt hear them reversed then you would just say fuck this record sucks..or cool this record rules and youd let it grow on you or you wouldnt. Youd find a place where it works or you wouldnt. Its not hard to flip a reel around and hear it backwards or even decide that it sounds sweet and its not really that bizzare of a record either or that difficult if you can get over the fact that its backwards you dont even need a computer. If you just pass it off as backwards sure ofcourse its not revolutionary or "experimental" youve been able to flip tape for more or less almost 100 years now why would i think its experimental??? Ive heard "i am sitting in a room" okay, i know what experimental music is (hehehe joke)."

what do you guys think?
Amnesiac3240 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2007, 08:44 PM   #2
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
he has a new record? where can I download the forward version?
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Amnesiac3240
empty page

Amnesiac3240 is a jewel in the roughAmnesiac3240 is a jewel in the roughAmnesiac3240 is a jewel in the rough
Heres an older article about it. (Its since been discovered that the whole record, not just that track is in reverse.)

http://pitchforkmedia.com/page/forkc...ey_Tare_and_Kr
Old 02.28.2007, 08:49 PM   #4
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
I dunno, that idea sounds kinda shitty to me. I want to hear Avey Tare make amazing music as usual. I like that song, both ways. But a whole album?
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2007, 10:46 PM   #5
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
sounds like he's losing it.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2007, 05:02 AM   #6
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature scene
I dunno, that idea sounds kinda shitty to me. I want to hear Avey Tare make amazing music as usual. I like that song, both ways. But a whole album?

Exactly my thoughts, it will most probably give me a headache after a while.

Does anyone know if the new Panda Bear record is any good?
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Amnesiac3240
empty page

I heard the Panda Bear is really good actually. Forwards.
Old 03.01.2007, 10:19 PM   #8
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Person Pitch (new panda bear) is very good. A lot of vocal harmonies, insert beach boys reference here, and an overall really warm, pleasant listen. Check it out.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 05:13 AM   #9
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Yea, i heard a couple of tracks on his myspace and thought there was a large beach boys influence, ill check it out for sure.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 04:24 PM   #10
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Well, it probably be more accessable if he released his music as a normal "forward" sounding album, and then to experiment if he had did his "reversal" side as a downloadable mp3 files that could be the additional interactive side of the album... cd version that is.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2007, 02:08 AM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
hAHA. Lame.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth