Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Avengers, assemble?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.02.2009, 12:12 AM   #1
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
So, I got caught with under a gram of pot and had to go through the court system, blah blah blah, I have to pee every month and go to AA/NA/MA meetings. I'm not even allowed to drink. Which is retarded. But, I figure, "hey, if you do this legitimately, after 6 months of sobriety, your tolerance for everything will be so low, it'll be like high school all over again." Meaning, I dont have to spend half as much money to achieve artificial bliss.

The reason I gave this information is so that you, the reader, can better understand where I'm coming from. I tried doing things that would distract me from giving into the temptation of drinking or smoking. I tried exercising, like doing pushups whenever i wanted a beer or a bowl. Or running everyday. But thats something im gonna have to build up to, because Im not ready to give up cigarettes. What has worked really well for me, are comic books. within 2 months, I have bought over 100 books. I spend roughly the same on comics as i did on pot and/or beer each week. i grew up a huge fan of comics, but never had a comic store in town.

So, I pick up the first book that catches my eye. It's an Uncanny X-men/Dark Avenger crossover title called "Utopia." Well, in the last 10 years, a whole bunch of shit has changed. I remember hearing about the death of Captain America and the whole "Civil War" thing Marvel did (I never really liked DC. Maybe one day I'll start reading 'em but I like the Marvel shit waaaay better).

So here's why I bring this up:

Firstly, I am assuming that there has to be at least a few fellow nerds out there who are current on comic books. I mean, we ARE on a forum board.

Secondly, is it just me, or has the quality of comic books improved exponentially in every aspect? From the paper and ink, to the illustration and story lines. Dialogue writers have always been pretty good (especially for Deadpool), but as a whole, I think even they have improved a bit.

My only regret is that I cant read these things stoned off my ass.

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 12:40 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Pothead.

Thanks for this thread. I was huge into comics until I was about 12. I have thousands I want to sell one day. Not sure of a good and quick way to go about doing that, though.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 12:47 AM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
We are not on a forum board.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 01:58 AM   #4
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
Former pothead* I pee clean, man. And without detox.

I want to buy thousands of comic books one day. The books im interested are the ones dealing with: the xmen, doctor strange, magneto, captain america, deadpool, apocolypse, silver surfer, and the sentry.

By the way, currently in the Marvel Universe, Nick Fury went underground, and is no longer part of SHIELD. Iron Man became head of SHIELD at the end of the Civil War. Then the Skrull invaded, shit hit the fan, and Iron Man was held responsible and removed from power. SHIELD was shut down, and a new organization called HAMMER took its place. A guy named Norman Osborn is in charge of HAMMER, and instead of being the Green Goblin, he has an Iron Man suit with a Captain America paint job. Calls himself the Iron Patriot. He has his own team of Avengers, which are a bunch of villans posing as heroes. Bullseye is Hawkeye, Venom (who is now the guy who used to be the scorpion, not eddie brock) as spider-man, Ares i guess filling in for Thor, Moonstone is Ms. Marvel, wolverine's son is wolverine, and The Sentry, who is all schitzo.

Its a good read.

Old 10.02.2009, 01:44 PM   #5
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
you had to go through all of that for under a gram?!?!

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 01:46 PM   #6
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
wait, you have to go to all three 12 step groups?

...i didn't even know that MA existed

EDIT: I just found the 12 questions to ask yrself to know if you have a problem. apparently if you answer yes to more or more, you might be an addict.

1. Has smoking pot stopped being fun?
2. Do you ever get high alone?
3. Is it hard for you to imagine a life without marijuana?
4. Do you find that your friends are determined by your marijuana use?
5. Do you smoke marijuana to avoid dealing with your problems?
6. Do you smoke pot to cope with your feelings?
7. Does your marijuana use let you live in a privately defined world?
8. Have you ever failed to keep promises you made about cutting down or controlling your dope smoking?
9. Has your use of marijuana caused problems with memory, concentration, or motivation?
10. When your stash is nearly empty, do you feel anxious or worried about how to get more?
11. Do you plan your life around your marijuana use?
12. Have friends or relatives ever complained that your pot smoking is damaging your relationship with them?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions,
you may have a problem with pot.

well then i guess that most people i know who smoke are technically addicts....bs...

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I do not like the computer colored comix. the colors distract from the drawings.

I miss the old hand colored days of Dark Knight returns. beautiful colors lynn varley did on that one.

I hate the glossy shit too.
Old 10.02.2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
The Labour government of the UK has been in a tiswas for ages over what to class cannabis as. They downgraded it from B class to C class and eventually made a volte face and reclassed it as B. What's cannabis classed as in the US?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 01:58 PM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I've only ever cared about Marvel.

DC can eat a bag if dicks.

ps: jeez all that for less than a gram???
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
The Labour government of the UK has been in a tiswas for ages over what to class cannabis as. They downgraded it from B class to C class and eventually made a volte face and reclassed it as B. What's cannabis classed as in the US?

I wasn't aware that they've actually reclassified it as B again. I don't know why, I've heard that when they downgraded it rate of use went down. Maybe it was for votes, it wasn't a popular decision and people are too stupid and scared to think that the downgrading is a good thing even if people are using it less.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 02:01 PM   #11
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
wait, you have to go to all three 12 step groups?

...i didn't even know that MA existed

EDIT: I just found the 12 questions to ask yrself to know if you have a problem. apparently if you answer yes to more or more, you might be an addict.

1. Has smoking pot stopped being fun?
2. Do you ever get high alone?
3. Is it hard for you to imagine a life without marijuana?
4. Do you find that your friends are determined by your marijuana use?
5. Do you smoke marijuana to avoid dealing with your problems?
6. Do you smoke pot to cope with your feelings?
7. Does your marijuana use let you live in a privately defined world?
8. Have you ever failed to keep promises you made about cutting down or controlling your dope smoking?
9. Has your use of marijuana caused problems with memory, concentration, or motivation?
10. When your stash is nearly empty, do you feel anxious or worried about how to get more?
11. Do you plan your life around your marijuana use?
12. Have friends or relatives ever complained that your pot smoking is damaging your relationship with them?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions,
you may have a problem with pot.

well then i guess that most people i know who smoke are technically addicts....bs...

YES I am a pot head.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
I wasn't aware that they've actually reclassified it as B again. I don't know why, I've heard that when they downgraded it rate of use went down. Maybe it was for votes, it wasn't a popular decision and people are too stupid and scared to think that the downgrading is a good thing even if people are using it less.

They reclassified it as a class B drug in January of this year.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
only DC I ever read was BATMAN
Old 10.03.2009, 01:03 AM   #14
cars_willkillyou
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I do not like the computer colored comix. the colors distract from the drawings.

I miss the old hand colored days of Dark Knight returns. beautiful colors lynn varley did on that one.

I hate the glossy shit too.

I agree and disagree. I could definitely do without the gloss, but I prefer it to the newspaper pulp that they used to use. the colors faded, and the books themselves deteriorated. I agree that the colors take away from the drawings, most definitely. In a perfect world, comics would place more importance on pen and ink rather than color.

Old 10.03.2009, 01:07 AM   #15
cars_willkillyou
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've only ever cared about Marvel.

DC can eat a bag if dicks.

ps: jeez all that for less than a gram???

I will say this; DC did a graphic novel called Kingdom Come, a few years back. It was done in water color, and probably the most captivating story they have ever done. In a fictional universe where all of the characters are practically gods, (unlike marvel, where most of the heroes are pretty much enhanced humans more or less), they were able to really give mortality to their heroes. Most of the heroes are old, some are dead, batman has a broken spine, superman is even a grumpy old man. If you havent read it, check it out. Also, there's the Watchmen....

Old 10.03.2009, 01:13 AM   #16
cars_willkillyou
stalker

yes, all that for a gram. thats south florida for ya.

And surprisingly, I only exhibit a couple characteristics of the 12 steps or whatever.

I like to get high alone, or did rather, on occasion. And I like being able to focus in on one thing and tune out the rest of the world. I mean, because of weed. I was the best student in both american history 2011 and 2012. I think that was the class numbers, not sure though. I'm horrible with numbers, but when it comes to reading words, analyzing and/or interpreting meanings behind them, writing, and what not, I have always excelled.

Old 10.03.2009, 01:16 AM   #17
cars_willkillyou
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
yeah...i was kinda curious about MA. never heard of that.

Apparently it was an idea that one of the judges in broward county came up with. I'm sure she didnt "come up" with it. But i had never heard of it before i started this dumb ass program. But whatever.

Old 10.03.2009, 05:29 AM   #18
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The very last second I cared about comic books was when they brought Superman back from the dead.

Some wounds never heal, UNLESS YOU'RE FUCKING SUPERMAN.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 06:54 AM   #19
simulated stereo
little trouble girl

simulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's asses
Die hard comic geek here. So many great books out these days I can't keep up with them all. I don't read much Marvel outside of Fantastic Four or Uncanny X-Men--both are great, but I'm just more of a DC and independents guy.

Read anything written by Grant Morrison Alan Moore, Matt Fraction, or Warren Ellis.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
simulated stereo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 12:55 PM   #20
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'll give you yr independents. DC can still eat a bag of dicks.

I <3 motherfucking Bill Sienkiewicz!!

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth