Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.24.2016, 12:25 PM   #20021
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
It was pretty decent. I didn't find it ground shaking, but it was definitely OK. 8/10 maybe?
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 01:38 PM   #20022
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Oh shit, have you guys seen the poster for Alien: Covenant (Prometheus sequel) yet?

Wowza!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 01:42 PM   #20023
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
great!! back to scary aliens again!
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 03:37 PM   #20024
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I didn't think it was tough to understand really. Loved the guy who played the dad (what a voice!). It is definitely not your average horror film, and skirts art-house a bit ... almost reminiscent of parts of Anti-Christ (the most fucked up movie ever made, btw).

Anyway, I loved it. The ending is what has been problematic for some people from what I've heard. I was fine with it though. The whole movie was good, several parts were downright horrifying. Good stuff.

I thought the ending was actually what turned the film from being just 'interesting', or 'a bit of a curiosity', into something else altogether. I can't understand why anyone would find it problematic ... well I can but just think they're massively wrong.

I was only talking about the dialogue because Symbols previously said he needed subtitles for The Thick of It, so I assumed if he was having problems with that he'd definitely struggle with bits of The Witch. But yeah, it's really not that hard to follow.

--

EDIT: Loving that Alien poster!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 06:58 PM   #20025
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah i have been following the project closely.
Old 11.24.2016, 07:39 PM   #20026
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I thought the ending was actually what turned the film from being just 'interesting', or 'a bit of a curiosity', into something else altogether. I can't understand why anyone would find it problematic ... well I can but just think they're massively wrong.

I was only talking about the dialogue because Symbols previously said he needed subtitles for The Thick of It, so I assumed if he was having problems with that he'd definitely struggle with bits of The Witch. But yeah, it's really not that hard to follow.

--

EDIT: Loving that Alien poster!
i generally need subtitles for heavily accented movies

scottish movies in particular i find incomprehensible without them

did people really understand what was said in "trainspotting"?

the only word i got was "theery"
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 07:41 PM   #20027
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Re: Alien Covenant -
I thought Prometheus ended with what'sherbutt heading to the planet of the bigass humanoid alien motherfuckers. I hope that plot line hasn't been abandoned. I really wanted to see those things in full scale "This is our house" mode... see what they were capable of.

I actually thought the one from Prometheus was creepy as fuck.

So while I'd love to see a proper Xenomorph origin story, I hope Scott doesn't course correct too much just because Prometheus left some ADD Alien fans feeling butthurt because it detracted a bit from the formula.

Still, that poster just looks super duper awesome. Seriously.
Old 11.24.2016, 08:01 PM   #20028
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
My concerns here. I don't get a sequel to "Prometheus" from this poster. I get an "Alien" 1979 from this. I'm worried that the studio of Fox once again pressured Ridley Scott to make a movie more in line with "Alien" and less like "Prometheus". If that is the case is Ridley Scott just repeating himself? "Prometheus" felt like a reason for him to return to the world of "Alien" without it being like any other "Alien" movie, and now this poster likes like just another "Alien" movie. The more I think of the poster if feels very uninspired and generic.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 08:06 PM   #20029
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i generally need subtitles for heavily accented movies

scottish movies in particular i find incomprehensible without them

did people really understand what was said in "trainspotting"?

the only word i got was "theery"

I was fine with Trainspotting. Had some trouble with Snatch, but mostly because the "gypsies" were deliberately incomprehensible. That was a good movie.

BTW: did you know Trainspotting 2 is real and coming? For fuck's sake, the first one was the only good performance Ewan M. has ever given. Now his tubby middle aged failure face is going to fuck the whole thing up.
Old 11.24.2016, 08:21 PM   #20030
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
My concerns here. I don't get a sequel to "Prometheus" from this poster. I get an "Alien" 1979 from this. I'm worried that the studio of Fox once again pressured Ridley Scott to make a movie more in line with "Alien" and less like "Prometheus". If that is the case is Ridley Scott just repeating himself? "Prometheus" felt like a reason for him to return to the world of "Alien" without it being like any other "Alien" movie, and now this poster likes like just another "Alien" movie. The more I think of the poster if feels very uninspired and generic.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking and trying to say.

Prometheus actually got pretty good reviews. It just didn't break any records. And all the kids who wanted an instant gratification Alien prequel didn't get the throwback they wanted.

I fucking loved Prometheus. I want a sequel.
Old 11.24.2016, 09:03 PM   #20031
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
From all I have read, this was always Scott's plan for Prometheus 2. It will all make sense. I am excited. This one should be birth of Xenomorphs as we know them now.

That alien in Prometheus was awesome looking tho.
Old 11.24.2016, 09:16 PM   #20032
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Team America World Police, because why the fuck not, and it had been so long since the last time that I didn't even remember the plot.
Old 11.24.2016, 10:13 PM   #20033
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sold

I'm not sure how wide it is around the country yet. I saw it at a film festival in October and know it got a marginal release last week here in Dallas at one repertory cinema. Still, so much fun. Funny, knowing and complete with impeccable set design (and editing.. and costumes) by new filmmaker Anna Billar.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 10:15 PM   #20034
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Oh man I really want to see this. My father seemed a bit unimpressed. He was looking forward to it I guess, but said it was "slow and ponderous." Though my father and I don't really talk (those were two of the five words from his monthly email) so I don't know what the fuck that even meant.

It isn't what you expect and I think that's what is turning off audiences. It's certainly not "Independence Day" or hell even "Mars Attacks". It's subdued, intelligent and could be described as a science-procedural. But man did it work for me.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 10:44 PM   #20035
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Team America World Police, because why the fuck not, and it had been so long since the last time that I didn't even remember the plot.
i never saw that but have it queued up for the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51
I'm not sure how wide it is around the country yet. I saw it at a film festival in October and know it got a marginal release last week here in Dallas at one repertory cinema. Still, so much fun. Funny, knowing and complete with impeccable set design (and editing.. and costumes) by new filmmaker Anna Billar.

"carnal treachery" and "perfectly sculpted cheekbones" were reason enough for me

the disc is not on netflix yet--but one can "save" it to the queue preemptively

i don't expect it to see it anywhere near me until then, but look forward to it
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2016, 11:19 PM   #20036
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
I know im two pages behind but, I remember in the 90's Vh1 use to show Rocky Horror like, every month just as much as Grease. they even did like a popup video thing with it one time like with Grease. ha.

I hate the music in it but, amazingly it gets even more subversive as the years go by. lots of 70's movies are like that. it's not what happens it's how it's executed. lots of atmosphere back then.

I love those sexy pre-punk girls in it though.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 04:51 AM   #20037
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51

I'm in the UK so it may do some kind of festival here in the early new year before it goes to DVD. I watched the trailer online and it definitely seems to have nailed the look and feel of those films it's pastiching.
Old 11.25.2016, 05:41 AM   #20038
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Batman v Superman

I enjoyed bits of this but in the end there was far too much muddle. If anything it does prove that Christopher Nolan can control complexity whereas Zack Snyder can't.

I actually grew to like Ben Affleck's Batman more than I expected but Eisenberg's Lex Luther was almost unwatchably irritating. As bad a villain as I can remember.

The main problem though was that it seemed to be trying to pack in far too much, to the point where at times I wasn't really sure what was going on (At one point I even had to check there wasn't a film that'd come after Man of Steel that I'd missed which would've helped me make more sense of it. )

In essence, whtever criticisms I have of Nolan, if you wanna see just how good he is at this kind of thing, watch Zack Snyder's efforts with similar material.
Old 11.25.2016, 10:14 AM   #20039
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I seemed to enjoy BvS more than most... but yes, the huge problem is that it should have been two or three films. Instead it was a mess.
Old 11.25.2016, 10:18 AM   #20040
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Batman v Superman

I enjoyed bits of this but in the end there was far too much muddle. If anything it does prove that Christopher Nolan can control complexity whereas Zack Snyder can't.

I actually grew to like Ben Affleck's Batman more than I expected but Eisenberg's Lex Luther was almost unwatchably irritating. As bad a villain as I can remember.

The main problem though was that it seemed to be trying to pack in far too much, to the point where at times I wasn't really sure what was going on (At one point I even had to check there wasn't a film that'd come after Man of Steel that I'd missed which would've helped me make more sense of it. )

In essence, whtever criticisms I have of Nolan, if you wanna see just how good he is at this kind of thing, watch Zack Snyder's efforts with similar material.

Well put. I too enjoyed it. How could I not, really, being the DC fan that I am? But it shoved too much in. Doomsday should have been a Supes solo film villain. This movie certainly wasn't as bad as a lot of people thought, but I'm pretty sure it was only made because the studio was sure that Batman would be a draw.

Man of Steel (which Nolan had more control over) was SO SO SO much better. It should have been followed up with a direct sequel. I for one have no interest or need to see the Justice League together in a film. Just Supes. Maybe Flash eventually. Wonder Woman, yeah, but in their own films. Batman should be left alone for a while. Hell, it's only been 4 years since Dark Knight Rises. Though I too was happier with Affleck's Bruce WYne than I thought I'd be... as Batman, he did nothing for me, and I thought his suit was stupid af.

Jess Eisenberg suffered from Joker syndrome BIG TIME in this movie. But to be fair, that wasn't actually Lex Luthor we were seeing. It was his "son" (re: clone, if they're going by the comics). Though why they decided to make that decision without making it more clear, I will never know. Big ass fuck up. Eisenberg is a good actor too, which made this very sad. He'd earned a few Oscar noms prior to this role, now a lot of people are just sick of him.
50290295299299910001001 1002 100310041005101210521102 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth