Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.24.2017, 01:47 AM   #1301
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
GLOW, on Netflix, thanks to a long history of loving prowrestling.

Is that any good? I feel like I'd watch it just for Alison Brie tbh

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2017, 12:07 PM   #1302
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Is that any good? I feel like I'd watch it just for Alison Brie tbh

She's in that shit? Oh man. She is something. I have no idea why she hasn't "caught on" a bit more in Hollywood.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2017, 12:43 PM   #1303
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm only 3 episodes in, but I've been enjoying it. I'm only vaguely familiar with the original real GLOW from back in the day, but from what I can recall, there's plenty of similarities.
Old 06.24.2017, 09:56 PM   #1304
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Twin peaks. It's shit aye?! Or amazing: I can't make my mind up.

The logs say "yes"
Old 06.24.2017, 10:50 PM   #1305
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Twin peaks. It's shit aye?! Or amazing: I can't make my mind up.

I can't speak to the new series, as I haven't seen any of it yet, but the original is pretty freaking amazing, though I do think it gets a bit lost around the middle stretch of season 2... there's some definite filler in there... but all in all, it turns out to be pretty goddamn excellent. Especially if you factor Twin speaks: Fire Walk With Me into the equation.
Old 06.24.2017, 10:54 PM   #1306
Severian
invito al cielo

Returning to our discussion of Best TV Shows, I think a solid case could be made for the U.S. version of House of Cards at this point. Few shows are as fully and completely engrossing as that one, and it manages to do moral ambiguity right. Definitely deserves consideration.
Old 06.25.2017, 10:44 PM   #1307
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
right now getting a kick out of the cheesy but moderately addictive EMPIRE season 1

also just started SILICON VALLEY season 3

still hilarious!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2017, 08:16 AM   #1308
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
right now getting a kick out of the cheesy but moderately addictive EMPIRE season 1

also just started SILICON VALLEY season 3

still hilarious!

I stopped watching Silicon Valley mid-current season because I gave up my HBO account (essentials and non-essentials and whatnot), but yeah... still fucking hilarious and one of the funniest shows on tv.
Old 06.26.2017, 10:08 AM   #1309
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I stopped watching Silicon Valley mid-current season because I gave up my HBO account (essentials and non-essentials and whatnot), but yeah... still fucking hilarious and one of the funniest shows on tv.
good for you! and congrats on getting control of your money. now have some patience and wait for it to hit your local library or something. i rent them off netflix and yeah i'm watching last year's season but enjoying just the same.

btw ive also been scouting amazon for shows (living in the boonies i depend on them for supplies of all kinds, so prime video is a free bonus) and there's some good stuff there. i should write some quick reviews.
Old 06.27.2017, 11:29 AM   #1310
Severian
invito al cielo

Better Call Saul season 3 ended last week.

Now I'm sad as fuck, and feel a bit lost.

It ended with a bang though. But it left me just desperate for more, just as each individual show does. The idea that it'll be another YEAR before the next chapter is almost too much to fucking bear. Goddammit.
Old 06.27.2017, 11:33 AM   #1311
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
good for you! and congrats on getting control of your money. now have some patience and wait for it to hit your local library or something. i rent them off netflix and yeah i'm watching last year's season but enjoying just the same.

Yeah, I've had another massive expense pop up, this time a health related one. Very severely abscesses tooth is requiring an emergency root canal, and my co-pay is pretty fucking massive. So no unnecessary treats for me!

Quote:
btw ive also been scouting amazon for shows (living in the boonies i depend on them for supplies of all kinds, so prime video is a free bonus) and there's some good stuff there. i should write some quick reviews.

I watched one show on there... a legal drama starring Billy Bob Thornton called Goliath. It was actually pretty goddamn good. And I'm not sure if Handmad's Tale is on Amazon or Hulu (one of the green-hued ones), but if it's on Amazon you should watch that shit. I've heard it's great.
Old 06.27.2017, 11:39 AM   #1312
Severian
invito al cielo

Almost done with American Gods, season 1.

Can't believe it's only 8 episodes, and that, like, 2-3 of them have been based on stories that didn't happen in the actual book! Oh well. Pretty goddamn excellent job of putting such a massive thing together.

Again, though, waiting a fucking year for the continuation seems outright cruel. For people who didn't read the book, I guess it's fine. But for the rest of us, who have been praying for this fucker for ages, it's like torture.
Old 06.27.2017, 04:44 PM   #1313
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

holy shit i just started watching the weinstein/bbc coproduction of WAR AND PEACE

it's fucking great!!!

and no i have not read the book and i don't know how abridged it is (i assume tons) but as a thing in itself it's just fantastic at least episode 1 which i just finished

it looks so fucking good!!!!!
Old 07.03.2017, 09:42 AM   #1314
Severian
invito al cielo

WOW... this is really, really, really fucking good. Just... wow. I was not expecting this. I ran out of super hero-themed shit to binge on, so I put this on to fall asleep to the other night. But I did not sleep.

This is a really fucking good, adult-themed, beautifully filmed and edited, weird ass and utterly terrifying show that bears exactly zero resemblance to anything X-men related that's ever been on screen before.

FX is kinda killing it these days. Wow.
Old 07.03.2017, 09:57 AM   #1315
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I watch a lot of SPIKE channel:
- Bar Rescue
- Ink Master
- Dutch Ink Master is in it's first season now too
- Face Off
- and of course the Glory MMA fighting once in a while. It's strange I hate watching boxing, because I don't understand what is fun in getting knocked out and broken noses. But I do like watching MMA where they get their arms broken and stuff

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2017, 10:39 AM   #1316
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
You kind of have to know boxing to appreciate it. It is a pretty awesome sport. I was in PAL boxing as a kid. Great stuff. A couple of good ones for highlights are anything with Eusebio Pedroza, Salvador Sanchez, early Duran

somewhat watching Poldark, it's unintentionally funny, and the last season of Orphan Black
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2017, 04:07 PM   #1317
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
holy shit i just started watching the weinstein/bbc coproduction of WAR AND PEACE

it's fucking great!!!

and no i have not read the book and i don't know how abridged it is (i assume tons) but as a thing in itself it's just fantastic at least episode 1 which i just finished

it looks so fucking good!!!!!

It is really good. If you've only seen the 1st episode don't worry about it dipping in form; it maintains to the end. I haven't read the book either. I'm sure it missed loads but it still felt utterly epic and coherent to me. Don't wanna say too much to avoid spoilers but yeah, loved it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2017, 09:46 PM   #1318
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It is really good. If you've only seen the 1st episode don't worry about it dipping in form; it maintains to the end. I haven't read the book either. I'm sure it missed loads but it still felt utterly epic and coherent to me. Don't wanna say too much to avoid spoilers but yeah, loved it.
i watched the whole of it nonstop and it was BRILLIANT

i think regardless of what may have been taken out it felt very much like tolstoy. i mean from the things i've read from him (ivan ilich, anna karenina, various tales, etc) i thought it was right on the money with his obsessions. this regardless of actual faithfulness to the text. i was afraid it wouldn't feel that way because in some interview the screenwriters said they had "removed some of the preaching" and let the characters shine through-- but i actually like tolstoy's preaching, and i think his themes did show very well no matter what.

dammit dammit dammit it was so good. the end even better than the beginning.

and funny thing i saw/realized that solzhenitisyn's a day in the life of ivan denisovich owes so much to this.

i really wanna read the book now. i really do.
Old 07.04.2017, 06:15 AM   #1319
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Wow. I'm sold on War and Peace.

btw, read about 50 pages a day and you'll be done in a month. There are these long, discursive chapters which are essentially essays on Tolstoy's theory of History, which can be skipped I guess when reading (and certainly when adapting for film), so it can be even shorter, although ANNA KARENINA is a tad shorter and kind of better. I keep meaning to re-read WAR but I just end up re-re-re-reading ANNA.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2017, 08:06 AM   #1320
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
My only criticism (and this is more at the BBC than the series) is that I wish they'd have the nerve to pour the same amount of resources into something a bit less obvious (for them). Everyone knows the BBC makes great adaptations but they invariably focus on the same kind of source material (their next big project is apparently Les Miserables). I don't question the quality of those productions, and it's understandable in the current financial climate that they'd want to play it safe, but at this rate the BBC's in danger of becoming an acronym for banquets, ballgowns and cummerbunds.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
56636465 66 67686976116166 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth