Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Fall: 'Reformation Post TLC' LP
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.05.2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
subsequent edit: sorry, sun city girl. I didn't see that you had got there before me. I've tried deleting this thread, but it seems that's not possible. Oh dear

Some may like to see the tracklist and cover art for this LP, due 12th February 2007 in the UK and March 2007 in the US. I quite like the cover art, their best since 'The Unnutterable', I think:

UK (Slogan Records) tracklisting:

1. Over! Over!
2. Reformation!
3. Fall Sound
4. White Line Fever
5. Insult Song
6. My Door Is Never
7. Coach And Horses
8. The Usher
9. The Wright Stuff
10. Scenario
11. Das Boat
12. The Bad Stuff
13. Systematic Abuse
14. Outro

US (Narnack Records) tracklisting:

1. Over! Over!
2. Reformation
3. Fall Sound
4. White Line Fever
5. Insult Song
6. My Door Is Always Open
7. Coach and Horses
8. The Wright Stuff
9. Scenario
10. Das Bootuboat
11. Tim Song
12. Systematic Abuse

Apparantly the US tracklisting 'may be subject to alteration', which I assume means putting the other two tracks in!

Songwriting credits attribute all tracks to the current line-up:

1. Over! Over! - Smith
2. Reformation! - Smith / Barbato
3. Fall Sound - Smith / Barbato / Presley / McCord
4. White Line Fever - Merle Haggard
5. Insult Song - Smith / Barbato / Presley / McCord
6. My Door Is Never - Smith
7. Coach And Horses - Smith / McCord
8. The Usher - Smith / Barbato / Poulou / Presley / McCord
9. The Wright Stuff - Smith / Barbato / Poulou
10. Scenario - Smith / Barbato / Presley / McCord
11. Das Boat - Smith / Barbato / Presley / McCord
12. The Bad Stuff - Smith / Barbato / Poulou / Presley / McCord
13. Systematic Abuse - Smith / Barbato / Poulou / Presley / McCord
14. Outro - Smith / Barbato / Poulou / Presley / McCord

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2006, 03:38 PM   #2
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
no problem hip priest, there's never enough threads about the mighty fall...
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2006, 07:23 PM   #3
michael71
little trouble girl

michael71 ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun city girl
no problem hip priest, there's never enough threads about the mighty fall...

Yes indeed. I'm not too sure about the cover though.
michael71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2006, 09:19 PM   #4
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Id love for this album to be a complete cover of "crazysexycool".
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's not a cover of crazysexycool. I've listened to it once, bought it a few hours ago. I'll refrain from passing an opinion just yet (it always takes me more listens with the Fall than most bands) but there is what sounds like an ambient psychedelic number on there. No, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2007, 03:13 PM   #6
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
but there is what sounds like an ambient psychedelic number on there. No, seriously.
das boat... yeah.
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
My favourite Fall LP since The Unutterable, and certainly in my top ten Fall studio LPs (one has to recognise that time can change these things of course). The band give good performances throughout, the writing is good and overall I get the same sense of pleasure and fun that in my opinion hasn't been there since The Unutterable. The two bass player work very well.

That said, although I'm happy to hear the whole LP through, I have to confess that I've developed a habit of not listening to the opener, nor tracks 11- 14. Not that they are bad (as I've said, I really like everything on this LP) but rather for the simple fact that the remaining nine pieces - tracks 2 through to 10 - are so good and constitute a perfectly solid and coherent unit on their own. I've been listening to those nine tracks regularly.

There are three tracks that I especially love, and they are (in LP order):

Fall Sound: This LP's accessible classic; the one that every Fall fan will sing along to, the one that your friends won't mind too much, the one that will be on a TV advert near you at some time soon. Also gives us this LP's finest single moment, when Mark reads the inquiry 'wonderin' what's up?' before excitably proclaiming 'IT'S FALL SOUND!'.

Coaches And Horses: Just a nice jaunty tune, with a historical setting. My favourite yarn on the LP.

The Usher: Old-fashioned Fall song with the new-fangled Fall sound. Good stuff.

Special mentions also for writing a song about my twin passions of theology and cheese, for the the background cry of 'Cheese State' at the end of 'White Line Fever', for the bassline from 'Insult Song' and for lobbing 'Outro' onto the end of the album.

What a shame Mark E Smith never got to work with Spike Milligan.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2007, 12:29 AM   #8
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Haha

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth