Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New My Bloody Valentine
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.03.2013, 02:25 PM   #61
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Got it onto a CD, and three iDevices. Getting ready for a Sunday drive.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2013, 02:28 PM   #62
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
ive decided to abstain from listening until i can get a physical copy.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2013, 02:32 PM   #63
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not ready to judge either. So far I am not disappointed in the slightest, but I also think there may have been some missed opportunities here, which doesn't reflect on the album, but on the band, and the expectations of fans. I think it would have been interesting to see them take the Portoshead direction and make an album that truly sounds nothing like their previous work, but still seems to fit perfectly into the discography.

I'm talking shit though- I'm just delighted beyond belief that the fucker actually came out, and that I'm listening to it. This is objectively awesome in every way.
Old 02.03.2013, 04:36 PM   #64
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I just don't really get what people have waited 22 years for. I mean, the band has written some good songs, but really, since Loveless there have been dozens of MBV-influenced bands who have made records on par or better than the new one.

They're really a polarizing band. You either love everything they do or just don't get why using thirty different pedals to play a generic power chord progression suddenly makes you the greatest band ever.

Some of the songs were solid, but if you held a gun to me and asked what the third song sounded like, I have no idea what to tell you. It's a weaker Loveless because the melodies aren't as memorable, the production isn't as good, and the riffs are pretty samey.

Props for them finally releasing it, I'm just left wondering what we are getting excited about.

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2013, 07:09 PM   #65
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
It's a weaker Loveless because the melodies aren't as memorable, the production isn't as good, and the riffs are pretty samey.

Props for them finally releasing it, I'm just left wondering what we are getting excited about.

Wow. I mean, to each their own, but did we hear the same album? The melodies are amazing, the production is epic, and the riffs are varied and complex, imho that is. I'm shocked at the general "it ain't no Loveless" reaction to this.
Old 02.03.2013, 08:14 PM   #66
Severian
invito al cielo

I think the first two tracks and the last one are my favorites at this time.

Anyone have opinions on which physical copy to buy? I'm a little torn.
Old 02.03.2013, 09:38 PM   #67
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I admit to being easily confused, but will there be a cd of this in record stores come Feb 22nd?
Old 02.04.2013, 07:12 AM   #68
Severian
invito al cielo

Just buy the thing on the site.
Old 02.04.2013, 09:31 AM   #69
lo-fi suicide
bad moon rising

lo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asseslo-fi suicide kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfeatencake
best mbv album since loveless

I agree
Old 02.04.2013, 11:27 AM   #70
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I just listened to loveless because I can't listen to the new album....well only here at work....butt too many distractions.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2013, 03:53 PM   #71
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
I am imagining all the shoegaze music fans around the world freaking out over the new MBV release at the same time all the american football fans are freaking out over the Super Bowl. Do the shoegaze fans paint their faces, leap off of their sofas with arms raised, red faced, knocking over snack bowls, screaming in triumph so loud their neighbors can hear? I'd like to think so.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2013, 06:19 PM   #72
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
I am imagining all the shoegaze music fans around the world freaking out over the new MBV release at the same time all the american football fans are freaking out over the Super Bowl. Do the shoegaze fans paint their faces, leap off of their sofas with arms raised, red faced, knocking over snack bowls, screaming in triumph so loud their neighbors can hear? I'd like to think so.

Hah.

No, they don't. Also, we don't clog the driveway with family campers, cars, and motorcycles so that the one person living in the duplex with a fucking job and car can't find a place to park, parks on the street, and is late for work the next day because he was blocked in by the plows. Fucking assholes.

... Cars are still there, haven't budged. I think they're hibernating. Meanwhile I'm so angry I'm starting to pop hemorrhoids.

MBV > US Football. Simple as that.
Old 02.04.2013, 07:15 PM   #73
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Tila Tequila
Yesterday
THIS IS A PROTECTED POLICE STATE OF HATER FREE ZONE! ANYONE WHO SPEWS OUT NEGATIVE ENERGY AMONGST THE REST OF US GOOD FOLKS HERE SHALL BE EXILED INTO A HUGE PILE OF DUNG SHIT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED HATERS! THERE ARE MORE OF US HIGHER, AWAKENED & LOVING BEINGS HERE THAN YOU & YOUR DRONE BOTS! SO BE GONE WITH YOURSELVES UNLESS YOU WANNA GET LOVE BOMBED BY OUR POLICE STATE! LOL AIN'T THAT RIGHT LOVE BOMBERS?
2Like · Comment · Share
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2013, 07:37 PM   #74
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
in another way is good song

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2013, 07:57 PM   #75
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hah.

No, they don't. Also, we don't clog the driveway with family campers, cars, and motorcycles so that the one person living in the duplex with a fucking job and car can't find a place to park, parks on the street, and is late for work the next day because he was blocked in by the plows. Fucking assholes.

... Cars are still there, haven't budged. I think they're hibernating. Meanwhile I'm so angry I'm starting to pop hemorrhoids.

MBV > US Football. Simple as that.

My sympathies, and your equation is of course correct.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2013, 03:28 PM   #76
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
lets get this out of the way now the new record is nowhere near as poppy or immediately satisfying as loveless with that said i still think its a good record. It's def more of a grower upon first listen i was a little disappointed but the more i hear it the more songs unfold into something interesting. favorite song on it for now-only tomorrow
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2013, 05:00 PM   #77
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
i must say i like it. though i thought it would sound really different - a lot more like "is this and yes", more electronic too. but i like it the way it is
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2013, 05:41 PM   #78
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Are electronic elements in a rock band still meant to make them innovative?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2013, 05:42 PM   #79
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I like the record more than Loveless and much less than Isn't Anything or anything from that era.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2013, 06:53 PM   #80
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Are electronic elements in a rock band still meant to make them innovative?

I was kind of thinking the same thing. And the comment about tryjng to introduce drum and bass made me look at the record differently and experience a weird Dig Your Own Hole-era 1995/6 déjà vu feeling.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth