Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Rock N Roll Hall of Fame ceremony last night
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
It was aired on VH1classic, available on digital cable. I have never seen the liove uncut ceremony before but since my g/f has digital cable, I sat through the whole shebang. they will air an edited version on VHI this weekend.

The Ronnettes were inducted, and Ronnie Spector was drunk and babbling and was kinda embarrasing. Keith Richards inducted them. They did NOT mention pedophile record producer extraordinaire Phil Spector, although after the induction Paul Shaffer read a letter from Phil (in prison) congratulating the Ronnettes and half the crowd booed.
They then performed three songs. baby I Love You, on I missed, and Be My Baby.
(BTW, ronnie thanked eddie money and started in on a verse of "Take me home tonite" and I thought I was gonna barf)

Patti Smith was inducted. She was amazing as always. I half expected Thurston to be inducting her but instead it was zach de la cockroach from RATM. during his speech they had a splti screen of patti backstage listening and she looked very uncomfortable and when de la cockroach went off on bush and his war she looked very distressed, but when she got up there she was a perfect lady, which she said she had promised Fred "sonic" smith that she would do. he had told her she would be in the hall someday and that when that day came to not be a smart ass, and to accept the honor like a lady and thank everyone and not to curse profanely. she was excellent. she also talked about the programs that the rnr hall of fame have to support old musicians who need financial help or have medical issues and cannot earn money anymore. she played with leny kaye and her band and they played a rolling stones cover, GIMME SHELTER, which patti said was one of the greatest anti war songs, the she played because the night and then she said that she wished her mom was still alive but that one of the last words her mom told her was that when she got ito the hall of fame would she play her "favorite song, the one I like to vacuum to." so she played "rock n roll nigger." It was fucking great

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five were inducted. They were introduced by Jay Z, who, like the di[pshit corpo sell out he is, read his speech from his very obviously showcased Blackberry PDA.. The first hip hop act to be inducted, they received a lukewarm response. They came out and played an odd medley, which rightfully focused on Grandmaster Flash's turntable artistry. It was cool, but could have been better.

The world's ultimate party band, Van Halen, was inducted as well. They were introduced by Velvet Revolver, of all things, and it was awkward. very awkward. Only Sammy and Michael Anthony were there. Eddie is in rehab. alex is MIA (does anyone know where alex van halen is?) and david lee roth was a no show, suposedly becaue of an argument over what song he would get to sing. Michel anthony's hair plugs looke terrible and sammy looked like the beach buim he is, although he did wear a very old original lineup van halen shirt, which it looked like he ahd owned for decades. velvet revolver played two songs, with Slash not even trying to play like eddie, and then michael and sammy played with the house band.
Old 03.13.2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

REM was great to see. Eddie Veddre inducted them and he made mention that it shoudl ahve been Kurt Cobain up there because he was the worlds largest REM fanatic. It was great to see Bill berry with the band again. They talked a good deal, and they played begin the Begin which is one of my favorites. They played two more but I do not remember which.
Old 03.13.2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

noone else watched it? hmm
Old 03.13.2007, 11:44 AM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
noone else watched it? hmm

no tv. i was watching "borat" last night.

got the paper tho. lemme quote you a bit from the wash. post on that

Quote:
If the absence of her late loved ones made Smith's induction bittersweet, the absence of most of Van Halen's founding members was downright sour. Eddie Van Halen, who went to rehab last week, was a no-show, as was his brother Alex. Former lead singer David Lee Roth, who sung such hits as "Jump" and "Panama," with the band, boycotted in a dispute over what song he would sing.
The only two who were present were Sammy Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony. Velvet Revolver performed two of the band's hits before Hagar and Anthony performed with the night's house band, led by Paul Shaffer.
Hagar said he wished his bandmates could be there, but "it's out of our control."
"It's hard for Mike and I to be up here to do this, but you couldn't have kept me away from this with a shotgun," Hagar said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031300139.html
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 11:45 AM   #5
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
hhhmmm dont really care about the rock n roll hall of fame. seems like one big circle jerk to me.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 11:53 AM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what's wrong with circle jerks?
what's wrong with your peers honoring you for the music you made?
Old 03.13.2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what do hip hop DJ's and rappers use as their music? ROCK N ROLL. Hip Hop is scratched and cut rock n roll. from bambaataa with kraftwerk to RUN DMC at zep and aerosmith to, and I hate to say it, puff diddy asshole and his robbery of the police. Like Flava Flav said, "we ARE rock n roll."

what I care about the hall of fame for is because it is a way to recognize in public, for the masses, the contribution of artists LIKE Patti Smith, or the velvets or the ramones or Billy Preston, who made seminal music but were not huge selling stars. These people rightfully so deserve recognition alongside the biggies like chuck berry, elvis, beatles, stones, jerry lee lewis, etc.

Also, many of these artrists inducted do not perform anymore, they do not have musical careers anymore, and some live in near poverty. Recognition of one's worth and value, even at such a late late date, is something beautiful to me. I foresee a future date in the rock n roll hall of fame for several of our favorite underground/indie acts. Sonic Youth for one. The Pixies probably. Nirvana definitely in like 10 years.

I do doubt the butthole surfers would ever be inducted but I said the same thing about the ramones and the pistols and patti smith.

I would not have thougth any of this at age 21, but now, at age 33, it makes sense to me.

ain't talkin' bout love. my love is rotten to the core, ain't talkin' bout love, just like I told you before, before before...
Old 03.13.2007, 12:47 PM   #8
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I watched the whole thing, mainly for REM who ended up being last...considering what's on tv these days, it was interesting to me...but the whole thing is kind of silly.

If you are inducted, Johnny Rotten said, you have to pay in a bunch of money. I think he said something like 'you pay them to tell you that you are famous'.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 12:55 PM   #9
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I've been to the RnR hall of fame and i think its disgraceful and totally disappointing, and ridden with alot of "non" RnR related material (wardrobe of Britney Spears', Christina Alguira, Back Street Boys, New Kids on the Block...etc etc etc... this is rock-related???)the whole thing is so overly generalized, filled with missing gaps in music (i know they can't touch base on everything in the genre but with the amount of space within the building and knowing that they have a good deal of things not on display and thus in storage, the space is utilized very POORLY!). And its overpriced for what you get...

therefore i didn't watch whatever you may call an "induction ceremony" for what i consider a very ineffective orginization on VH1 that shit crapload for music television programming...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
I've been to the RnR hall of fame and i think its disgraceful and totally disappointing, and ridden with alot of "non" RnR related material (wardrobe of Britney Spears', Christina Alguira, Back Street Boys, New Kids on the Block...etc etc etc... this is rock-related???)the whole thing is so overly generalized, filled with missing gaps in music (i know they can't touch base on everything in the genre but with the amount of space within the building and knowing that they have a good deal of things not on display and thus in storage, the space is utilized very POORLY!). And its overpriced for what you get...

therefore i didn't watch whatever you may call an "induction ceremony" for what i consider a very ineffective orginization on VH1 that shit crapload for music television programming...

I have been there as well. You are correct on all fronts. Howver, the Hall of Fame MUSEUM is NOT the hall of fame. it is just a space to display artifacts of rock n roll. The hall of Fame exists as a list of acts honred. I loved seeing Muddy water's guitars. I loved seeing Neil Young's GIANT speakers from the rust never sleeps tour. I loved seeing the john lennon exhibit and all the ephemera donated by various people dealing with the beatles and lennon.

I woudl say I enjoyed about 25% of it. the rest was bullshit. lots of cool guitars though
Old 03.13.2007, 01:53 PM   #11
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
The EMP is cool...perhaps better?

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 02:14 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I have not been there. seattle is far away.

only reason I went to R n R hall of fme is that this past summer I went to canton Ohio for the Pro Football hall of Fame Induction ceremony. (warren moon from MY houston Oilers)
being in Ohio, and about 27 miles from cleveland, I headed up there one day. cleveland is a nice place. cincinatti is crazy looking with the rivers and the bridges!!!!
I saw my first great lake too.
that shit is huge.

the RnR Hall had a great exhibit of Ramones paraphenelia, and ephemera and instrumenst and clothing.
Old 03.13.2007, 02:51 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I have not been there. seattle is far away.

only reason I went to R n R hall of fme is that this past summer I went to canton Ohio for the Pro Football hall of Fame Induction ceremony. (warren moon from MY houston Oilers)
being in Ohio, and about 27 miles from cleveland, I headed up there one day. cleveland is a nice place. cincinatti is crazy looking with the rivers and the bridges!!!!
I saw my first great lake too.
that shit is huge.

the RnR Hall had a great exhibit of Ramones paraphenelia, and ephemera and instrumenst and clothing.

funny, the father of one of my exes is heavily involved in that football hall of fame.

and btw, did you go to the art museum in cleveland too? egyptian antiquities + picasso = a sweet afternoon
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2007, 04:01 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I did not have enough time. I had to get back to canton for the hall of fame game, and my travel pack o' skunk.
Old 03.13.2007, 10:25 PM   #15
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
I Missed Keef?????
Old 03.14.2007, 09:17 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

you did.

Patti Smith I think it was befor4e talking and accepting her nomination, thanked Keith Richards "for being among us."
Old 03.15.2007, 08:29 PM   #17
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
I want to find the rem performance. I completely forgot to watch it.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 10:03 PM   #18
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
it wasn't mentioned above (or if it was then i am really blind) but REM and Patti Smith played 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' as well

a small nod to the Stooges who were weren't inducted this year? perhaps
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth