Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new / most anticipated albums: 2016
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.06.2016, 01:06 AM   #141
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
but the thing is, they were never even remotely interesting. their sample usage was perfunctory and a gimmick at best -- there was no flipping a la hip-hop, it was just ripped wholesale and stuck together into songs which had boring structures and no new melodic content. also their music plain sounds like shit. sample based music in its genesis was dangerous, and at this point there are so many artists operating out there who make really adventurous music with samples. the avalanches seem antithetical to the whole culture -- the aim isn't to use cultural artefacts to perform straight up mimesis, it's to invert them.

and can you honestly not see that you're complicit in this culture of devaluing music by placing it in extramusical narratives? mbv wasn't a 'comeback' record, it was the third my bloody valentine lp. same with that last boc record. stuff doesn't have to be engaged with in this cold, journalistic manner -- it's fucking music, just listen to it and respond to it in that sense. every single time a new record comes out you go "AOTY, this is going to be in my top 5 yasssss", "can't wait to hear from these guys, they put out a great record 15 fucking years ago yassssss", "my list is overstuffed but yay for music yassssss" when these records are all part of this completely idiotic fabricated canon of 'alt.culture'?? I mean to go up a bit...listening to haino is to be involved exclusively in the music -- there's no gimmick, no wider concept to be gleamed, you're just inhabiting the space with an individual for a period of time. that is explicitly in opposition to this sense of spectacle you're so enamoured by, it's truly ridiculous and makes me feel that you don't like dealing with anything unless it is situated in the fucking doctrine of 'indie culture', it's actually quite depressing...I feel like you think you're under some sort of pressure to like everything at the expense of actually engaging with music in any tangible way.

I get why you feel that way avtually. But you're wrong. I burn through a lot of music, and some of my reactions are totally premature and embarrassing in hindsight, but they alter and change and evolve. I am interested in the cultural aspect of music, but I also experience the music I truly love (which is most definitely not "every"' new album. When you say that it makes me feel like you barely pay attention).

But hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions, right?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2016, 02:05 AM   #142
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmm... understandable. That new Avalanches single is indeed pretty bad. How do you even manage to go wrong with MF DOOM and Danny Brown featured on the same song?
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2016, 08:42 AM   #143
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Hmmm... understandable. That new Avalanches single is indeed pretty bad. How do you even manage to go wrong with MF DOOM and Danny Brown featured on the same song?

You surround their verses with campy unlistenable hokey bullshit, apparently.

Yeah, it makes me mad. I'm still going to listen to the album, but scratch any plans to buy it right away. That Danny verse is so good! What a waste!
Old 06.06.2016, 03:30 PM   #144
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Fuck yall waiting for this tool album

Been waiting, and waiting, and waiting on this... I really hope it will be worth the wait. Their "new song" during the Tool/Primus tour was nice and atmospheric, but still lacked a little something to me dynamically. Has me a little worried about what the new album will eventually hold.

I never did participate in the Tool thread "discussions," but I did get a chuckle at the SuchFriends/Severian dynamic in it. Reminded me of my circle of friends, and how tough it's been for me to stick to my guns supporting Tool throughout the years while all of them hate the shit out of it. They've been a large part of my musical life for many, many years now though, and I am interested in what is next to come. It's just a matter of it actually coming!!!
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2016, 04:16 PM   #145
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2016, 04:18 PM   #146
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I've largely given up on having high expectations for comeback records at this point. So many bands have done it in recent years, and for every success, there have been countless so-so, mediocre, or just downright shitty "return" albums.

The gold standard when it comes to these is Portishead's Third. Nobody expected that group to even equal their '90s material, but by shooting off in a completely different direction, they actually kicked the shit out of their first two albums, and made something that stands on its own merit, almost completely independent from the band's legacy up to that point.
Tomorrow's Harvest and SYRO were also success stories, and so was m b v (to a lesser extent). But for all of these there have been dozens of middle of the road "comeback" albums that didn't warrant being made.

This is what made No Cities To Love so fucking fantastic. It didn't fail. It wildly succeeded

Old 06.06.2016, 05:48 PM   #147
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I've largely given up on having high expectations for comeback records at this point.

New Garbage.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2016, 06:38 PM   #148
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Incidentally, I know a woman who recently finished writing an "authorized biography" or MJK. Maynard was fully involved, and apparently put a lot of work into it. Should be coming out soon.
Old 06.06.2016, 06:47 PM   #149
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Tool=Meh. it's like they grew up with their peckers cut off listening to prog and Rush then heard grunge and grew little pebbles for ballz ever after claiming they where Melvins fans.

boring, with moments that'll make a 90's kid feel like a hotshot. otherwise they are doggshit. should be buried along with Eminem, Marilyn Manson, limp bisquick, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins and Korn and dumped into that 90's garbage pail or flush away from music history. forever.

god forbid our kids to listen the this fake angst brought on by Nirvana.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2016, 08:01 PM   #150
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
Tool=Meh.

What part of

Quote:
Fuck yall waiting for this tool album
was not clear?

Old 06.06.2016, 10:56 PM   #151
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
Tool=Meh. it's like they grew up with their peckers cut off listening to prog and Rush then heard grunge and grew little pebbles for ballz ever after claiming they where Melvins fans.

boring, with moments that'll make a 90's kid feel like a hotshot. otherwise they are doggshit. should be buried along with Eminem, Marilyn Manson, limp bisquick, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins and Korn and dumped into that 90's garbage pail or flush away from music history. forever.

god forbid our kids to listen the this fake angst brought on by Nirvana.

Tool is nowhere near Korn or Limp Biz or even Green Day-level awfulness. Come on dawg, be real.

They do share a certain qualify with SP's, but MJK's bafoonery is intentional, so that right there separates them by light years in my book.

The real embarrassments are A Perfect Circle and Puscifer. Jesus Christ what asinine bullshit. Hyuck-Hyuck! Anus jokes and red neck role playing! Hyuck!
Old 06.06.2016, 11:00 PM   #152
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
What part of

was not clear?

I didn't even know they had a new album coming out. In fact I read a Rolling Stone article a couple months back (March at the absolute latest) with a headline that said something like, "No, Tool is not releasing a new album."

Being a Tool fan must SUCK. Apart from the obvious stuff, you have to wait half a decade minimum for new albums, and there's not enough back-catalog to tide anyone over.

And then there's having to live with the fact that everything they did was done better and cooler by countless artists, both before, during, and after their painfully long existence.

I feel for ya buddy
Old 06.06.2016, 11:01 PM   #153
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
New Garbage.

You're excited about the new album by the band Garbage?
I don't believe you.
Old 06.06.2016, 11:09 PM   #154
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I didn't even know they had a new album coming out. In fact I read a Rolling Stone article a couple months back (March at the absolute latest) with a headline that said something like, "No, Tool is not releasing a new album."

Being a Tool fan must SUCK. Apart from the obvious stuff, you have to wait half a decade minimum for new albums, and there's not enough back-catalog to tide anyone over.

And then there's having to live with the fact that everything they did was done better and cooler by countless artists, both before, during, and after their painfully long existence.

I feel for ya buddy

Old 06.07.2016, 11:29 PM   #155
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
i was surprised and excited by the prospect of a new Pita record.. nice cover image, too. but the recent Autechre DUMP has diminished my enthusiasm, and Rehberg doesn't seem to be exploring much new ground. a lot of elseq is engaging/worthwhile (elseq 1 possibly the best/most consistent), and much of it is comparable, sound-wise, to the areas that Pita has been exploring.. though the Pita stuff does feel more refined and more dynamic (timbrally and volume-wise), and obviously it's less beat-oriented. it's just that there's TON of new, belligerent, wildly vibrating Autechre music... can't help but keep returning to it for the fix of it. the latter three tracks of elseq 5 are gorgeous, and there are gems scattered throughout the rest (2, 3, and 4). Pita feels more relaxed, there are some outright sentimental-sounding/pretty tracks.
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2016, 09:53 AM   #156
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Ha!
Old 06.08.2016, 02:15 PM   #157
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...98&oe=57C1AFD1
Old 06.08.2016, 02:28 PM   #158
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...d.php?t=113573

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2016, 02:53 PM   #159
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

this!
Old 06.08.2016, 03:02 PM   #160
selkcip
bad moon rising

Lucio Capece/Marc Baron (Erstwhile 088)

anybody familiar with Marc Baron's last couple of albums?

edit: https://youtu.be/H9EgVrKED6A?list=PL...fqvnyxxInkZ O

new Pita album up on youtube

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth