Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What are you playing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.20.2010, 06:28 PM   #3201
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
I love this thread.
reminds me of the early nineties especially the last page
!!!!

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2010, 06:41 PM   #3202
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I got an idea, guys...

1) go to a grocery store
2) Put bananas in a cart all day
3) go to your car and go home.

Was that fun?

If so, lemme know, cuz I have an idea for a game where you play a slow monkey juming on bees and collecting letters and ballons and bananas and all kinds of stupid garbage... that's the entire extent of the game. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of SKULLMONKEYS...

in that it's pretty and there isn't a lot to do except get shot out of cannons and stuff. But SKULL MONKEYS isn't as stilted, awkward, and boring as DKC. (of course, SKULL MONKEYS was made by the guys who made Earthworm Jim, of course it's going to be a fun game) I would rather play Boogerman than than DKC! Like I said, I've actually played through ALL of DKC, 1-3, so I feel I can make a decent assessment of those games, this isn't Joe writing off a game because he played 3 seconds of it like whn he wrote off Beefheart because he heard "a song here or there". Either way, Miyamoto saying he thought DKC games were crap is pretty much all I need to know to realize he's a genius... in fact, I thin kthey represent everything wrong with games. Have you guys played ROCKET KNIGHT ADVENTURES? It's a TRILLION times more fun than DKC. You get to fly around and swing swords and in one level you get to get in a gigantic mech. No collecting a bunch of garbage. God, and DYNAMITE HEADDY.. jesus, so many awesome games for this system.. drool.

Anyway, SONIC 2 has a level of artistry, speed, and BRILLIANCE... it gives me chills. The only game that can match it in its artistry is Yoshi's Island. I guess I am into a game as an experience, the whole thing, you know? I really get into. Maybe that's why I love ICO, though some peopel find it boring. And REZ, though some people say it's a boring shooter. I'm just really into gaming as an experience, the atmosphere and music and everything else.. you know? This doesn't have anything to do with the thread, perse.. I just think the Genesis offered better hardcore games. There is literally NOTHING ont he SNES that resembles, say, Comix Zone. Or Splatterhouse 3. I mean, I'm just talking aesthetics here -- the games are really fun, too. But, I mean, that's why I can't get into DKC.. it's just so simple and boring, and annoying. Now, Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid.. yes, definitely, I would say they're two of the most artistic games of all time. But that's about it.

I think the only way a person could say the SNES is a better system is if they only are familiar with mostly the obvious games from both systems. Like, if you were to compare the best selling games on both systems, obviously the SNES looks better! Or say "Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger" to a gamer, it's going to sound better than "Beyond Oasis, Landstalker". So, obviously, the Genesis is the underdog... but it just, flat-out, had more good games... period.

See, I've played through every single game ever made on both systems.. so, Joe, if you were to say "RUN SABRE, SKYBLAZER, JIM POWERS, SUPER TURRICAN 2, DEMON'S CREST, ACTRAISER 2, TERRANIGMA -- the SNES is better!" you might've been able to sway me a bit. But..

then I would've said: "STARFLIGHT, ATOMIC RUNNER, WARSONG, HERZOG ZWEI (blows away every game on the SNES), MERCS, KUJAKOH II, GENERAL CHAOS, BIMINI RUN, ALICIA DRAGOON, ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS, LANGRISS 2, GLEYLANCER, ESWAY, SHADOW DANCER, GRANDA, EL VIENTO, WIZ N LIZ, the WONDER BOY games, the SPLATTERHOUSE games, LAST BATTLE, GOLDEN AXE 3, CRUSADERS OF CENTY, MEGA MAN: WILEY WARS, MARVEL LANDY, SHINING FORCE, TRUXTOY, TREYSIA, VALIS, SWORD OF VERMILLION, PHELIOS, DECAP ATTACK, INSECTOR X, COMIX ZONE, PANORAMA COTTON, MOINSTER HUNTER, PULSEMAN, FATAL REWIND, GAIN GROUND, LANDSTALKER..." all at the top of my head. I tried not to list anything too obvious.

The point is, again, if you plan to only play a few rpg's or some really obvious fun platformers, SNES is the system to get. If you plan on delving deep into hardcore gaming (especially shoot em ups), Genesis is the best.

I'd suggest getting a Genesis-1, since it stil lhad the headphone jack, btw.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2010, 06:47 PM   #3203
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Donkey Kong Country is absolute garbage. Those gams are so terrible. So so so terrible.

You're out of your mind. Lay off the uppers. The 3rd game may not have been so hot, but the first 2 are absolutely brilliant. The barrels, the vine swinging, the bouncy tires, the animals, the fun characters... I adore it all.

Quote:
Your list of games was a joke, btw. Stunt Race FX? Yoshi's Safari? Piltowings? KILLER INSTINCT (horrible game, unless you have no interest in fighting games as a serious genre)?! Those are not games you want to throw in someone's face when trying to defend the SNES (which, btw, is a great system, one I still own -- though, only for Tetris Attack, Metroid, and Yoshi's Island). Also, Wario's Woods was on the NES originally, and was a lot better.

My list on the last page had lots of great SNES games that were somewhat obscure, but I could easily, at the top of my head, make a list of 300-400 great Genesis games with no problem. I thin you seem to to only talk about the most mainstream, obvious choices -- for both systems. Not many people know the game Ranger X, but everyone who has played it for the Genesis will say that it's better than just about any SNES game ever. Also, ALISIA DRAGOON is better than most SNES platformers. Have you even played Gunstar Heroes, BTW?

He asked for a list of first party gems. I genuinely enjoy every game on my list a shit-ton (aside from maybe Pilotwings, but that title is definitely classic enough to be on an SNES collection). I forgot that lack of popularity = quality...

And I've played the GBA version of Gunstar Heroes. I like it. It's fun.

Quote:
I'd say there are about 10-15 completely indispensable games for the SNES, ones that are impossible to live wiuthout, that every gamer needs to play through. I think, in that case, it definitely has more games than the Genesis in that field. But if you just want to talk about an extremely complete, brilliant, amazing system, encompassing all genres... THE GENESIS is where it's at.

Making it a worse system...what?? huh??? Are you drunk or something?

Quote:
No offense, but I really would not use Killer Instinct or the Donkey Kong Country games in any kind of argument if you expect to try to makea case for the quality of the SNES. Those games are embarassing. Funnily enough, Donkey Kong Country looks like a masterpiece next to Donkey Kong 64, maybe my most hated game of all time.

One more thing I'd like to focus on is EXCLUSIVES: the reason to own the Genesis is because of all the EXCLUSIVES; most of those games never ended up anywhere else (except for that recent ps3/xbox port and in some Japanese collections). You can't find Gunstar Heroes or Dynammite Heady or Light Crusader or Landstalker or Beyond Oasis or Ranger X or Pulseman or Granda or Truxton or Subterania anywhere else! Ever! But the SNES? The GBA version of Yoshi's Island is better. The DS version of Tetris Attack is better. The GBA version of Mario World is better. The GBA version of Breath of Fire II is better. The DS version of Chrono Trigger is better. Link to the Past on GBA is better. It goes on and on and on and on (though Super Metroid has never had any re-releases, strangely -- neither did Earthbound, aexcept in Japan, and Super Mario RPG -- the Paper Mario games arew better than Mario RPG, BTW). So, really, the Genesis is a smarter choice of a system to buy if you want some exclusive games.

So the SNES sucks because many of it's games were so classic that they were ported (and slightly modified) to later consoles? Seriously Adam, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Quote:
Anyway, if you want your mind blown bt the snes, play that R2 game I was talking about a few days ago, play some Enix classics like EVO, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia, etc. It will hopefully make you forget about Rare. (and don't get me wrong, I thought donkey Kong Country was awesome when I was 10 years old but...)

Sega was basically the best releaser in the world of truly hardcore games, which is why they failed, since most peopel wouldr ather play boring, obvious crap.

I've played Illusion of Gaia. It's one of my favorite RPGs on the console...yet I still like Rare because they make great games (or at least they used to)!

Quote:
Also, you don't like Sonic games? Haha.. what?! YOU'D RATHER PLAY DONKEY KONG COUNTRY THAN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2? Sorry, man, no one's going to take you seriously after that one, bro.

OH YEAH, nobody will ever take me seriously for liking Donkey Kong Country more than a Sonic game. It's not like there's masses on both sides of the fence with that one or anything like that. You're just being an idiotic troll now, dude, bro, homie.

Quote:
At least we can all agree that the XBOX is probably the worst system ever made.

I'd rather play an XBOX than an Intellivison any day.

And last but not least...

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2010, 06:50 PM   #3204
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, and for the record...

Actraiser > Actraiser 2
Old 11.20.2010, 06:52 PM   #3205
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Sonic blows. Donkey Country games are fun.

Thank you!

But I don't have time to argue... I gotta go defeat Lavos and shit. Have fun being more obscure than everyone else in life ever, Adam.

jk (kinda) you know I admire you. <3
Old 11.20.2010, 06:52 PM   #3206
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
One more thing, even though I like the Genesis better, I traded my Genesis and 175 games and 4 controllers to my friend last year for his laptop. I also sold 74 SNES games to him, and sold a ton to ebay since I had a bunch of rare games like Earthbound, Chrono, FFIII, Mana, Dracula X, and so on.

I now own an SNES, with Yoshi, Metroid, and Tetris Attack (4 copies).

So, even though I like the Genesis better overall, the SNES is one of the only systems I own now (got rid of my Cube, my N64, etc). The only systems I own are a PS2, a Dreamcast, a DS (GBA comatible one), and an SNES. That's the only systems I'll ever own. Well, I still have an NES, I'm going to sell it soon.

Old 11.20.2010, 07:06 PM   #3207
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'm a "troll", for being knowledgable and informed on games and for having an opinion you don't agree with? You are the one who is insulting, can't comprehend simple points that I've made, seems hellbent on proving some non-existent point, and trying to put words in my mouth (how in the world do you get that I think the SNES "sucks"? It's my 3rd favorite system of all time!) You should take your own advice and calm the hell down, re-read the points I'm actually making, instead of trying (failing) to be insulting. You actually learn something in the process.

My original text, reproduced:
"I'd say there are about 10-15 completely indispensable games for the SNES, ones that are impossible to live wiuthout, that every gamer needs to play through. I think, in that case, it definitely has more games than the Genesis in that field."

and your response which is so ridiculous that you can only be joking:
"Making it a worse system...what?? huh???"

Okay -- What are you talking about? I don't think it's possible to make myself clearer here, but I will attempt to. See, I love the SNES -- and I was simply noting that the SNES had 10-15 amazing games that no one should be without, but I liked the Genesis better, since it has like 300 games I love on it. Who said anything about "worse"? If I come off as a "trool", you come off as someone who can't read, or at least can't comprehend simple notions like "I love 2 systems, I just happen to like one better."

You:
"So the SNES sucks because many of it's games were so classic that they were ported (and slightly modified) to later consoles? Seriously Adam, I couldn't disagree with you more."

Who siad the SNES sucks? When did I say it sucked? Again, calling me a troll, yet a "troll" is someone who likes to put words in my mouth, as you are doing.

I said the Genesis has more exclusives worth playing, as many (often superior) versions of SNES games are available elsewhere. Again, that's a pretty damn obvious, clear point to make, but lemme simplify it for you some more:

If you were to buy an SNES and you already had, say, a GBA... you could play many of SNES's best games on your GBA too...

If you buy a Genesis, most of those games are ONLY on the Genesis.

Does that make sense yet?

Sigh. Lemme simplify it a wee bit more for you:

A ton of great SNES games are available elsewhere. A ton of great Genesis games AREN'T. It makes sense to buy a Genesis if you want to get tons of exclusive games.

Are you getting it yet?

Lemme try one more time:

Why do peopel buy Nintendo systems? Is it for the port of TONY HAWK PART INFINITY? Nope. It's for the EXCLUSIVE Nintendo games. The Genesis had more EXCLUSIVE games.

A minor point, but one worth mentioning.

So.. after 3 examples, you get it now........ right?

"nobody will ever take me seriously for liking Donkey Kong Country "

Well, I take that back. Nobody will take you seriously because your reply to my message was absolutely insane -- you are so quick to throw your opinion down my throat that you apparently lost the ability to read in the process. You have a habit of talking about things you don't know anything about (my "friends", bands you haven't even listened to), which you're doing here as well, with your knowledge of the Saturn and the "different versions of the Genesis" and all that stuff. See, the minute anyone suggests that you should perhaps rethink your stance on something, you jump the gun and start firing insults, instead of respecting the fact that, in this case, I'm knowledgable and can reccomend tons of great, obscure games -- I think you're so intent on trying to get me to agree with you that you can't even be bothered to see what I'm actually saying. Personally, I couldn't care less about if you think the SNES is better or if you don't want to play any of the games I reccomend -- if you want to miss out on tons of great games, that's your loss. I don't care at all. That's why I don't get mad. I will just enjoy stuff by myself.

My opinion, though, for clarification is this: seriously, anyone saying Sonic 2 sucks but praising DKC is not something I agree with -- and I doubt many other people would, too, but.. hey... it's your opinion. On the other hand, using it in a list to "prove" why the SNES is a better system is laughable! See, I HATE the Lord of the Rings movies, but I wouldn't say they "suck" perse. I still recognize their value. I was more saying that the way you go about trying to prove your point is something that most people won't take seriously... you come off as someone who likes to argue but can't stand to listen.

"Obscure = quality" is not something I agree with; it was more to prove a point that the SNES is more widely recognized as a great system because of the popular games for it -- EVERYONE knows Mario, for example.

So, "mainstream = quality"? No, I don't think that, and I know you don't either. So, again, it comes down to a non-point.

Anyway, there are way way more obscure games for the Genesis that no one pays attention to, that are worth playing. That you should play too...

Look at THE ADVENTURES OF LITTLE RALPH... it's the best game for the ps1, yet nobody outside of some importers and some people in Japan have played it. That's sad. to me.

Shrug.

Anyway, I just find it pretty funny that you're arguing about this at all, when I love the SNES and the Genesis and pretty much every game system ever made. Why even argue this? There's thousands of great games out there. Go play some and be happy, dude.

Old 11.20.2010, 07:06 PM   #3208
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
@consolewar-guys:

its just a a matter of taste and NOS-FUCKING-TALGIA!
Everybody grew up with one them and prefers it.
a lot of the points asp said are right, if you stay objective.
most of the responses were just reactionary-counter-bashing.
and thats where all the nintendo/sega crazyness started back in the days.
nobody should try to convince the other one of the superior quality of the "enemy"-system, its like trying to convince a fundamental moslem to join the catholics because their "war" was cooler then the other.
ah blablabla
Sonic 3 over Sonic 2 (or maybe they are on the same level, the MUSIC man, its sooo damn good)

@asp: I am one of those "I buy the whole experience-gamers" too maybe thats the reason why so muc of our favourite games are the same?!

Old 11.20.2010, 07:18 PM   #3209
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Right on, man.

I just find it silly that Joe is so fired up when I never even insulted him in any way. Ah well, he wanted the "Sega vs Nintendo" argument for some reason. How about.. they both win, in some way.

For the record, the SNES is a great system. I never said it sucks, I just said that Genesis typically has more artistic games, faster games, and rarer, more obscure exclusive games. HIDDEN GEMS, if you will. That's not something most people are into though.. they just want Mario and Donkey Dong. Also, that's not even my opinion -- that is a fact.. the Genesis is the # 1 system when it comes to someone going, "wow, never heard of this game! it's awesome!" I like that. I like the idea of discovering some hidden treasure. It's awesome!

Old 11.20.2010, 07:24 PM   #3210
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

yeah, nevermind. like I said we are all nostalgia fueled in any way and thats one of the ingredients that makes the whole gaming topic so interesting, at least in my book. I was one of the genesis hardcore fanboys back in the days and learned to love the snes later on. especially all the fabulous ports Ive bought for the gba. I am living through my snes rennaissance while riding the train, most of the time
I still prefer the genesis for the aforementioned reasons, but of course there are a shitload of great snes games.
dont wanna go more into detail now, I think evrybody know where one of us stands here, and I am sure everybody can appreciate the others opinions!

Old 11.20.2010, 07:26 PM   #3211
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, I'd hope people can respect other's opinions, but I'm not sure haha.

Joe, whoever shit in your Wheaties this morning, go yell at him for a while, not me.

Old 11.20.2010, 07:39 PM   #3212
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
pc>SEGA>>>>>>>>nintendo

nintendo is for kids and the people that like to have sex with them. fucking pedos.
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2010, 07:43 PM   #3213
ink.
the end of the ugly

ink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's assesink. kicks all y'all's asses
I like the mario games..
ink. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2010, 07:44 PM   #3214
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

^^hahahaha

Old 11.20.2010, 07:53 PM   #3215
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Strange, I'm actually playing a PC game right now... CAVE STORY!

This game rules. Really Metroid-like in spots. I really hope some homebrew genius puts it on the Dreamcast.

Old 11.20.2010, 07:56 PM   #3216
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/17/dr...d-on-gamestop/

hmm.. what is this? DREAMCAST COLLECTION for the 360/ps3?!

Old 11.20.2010, 07:59 PM   #3217
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Two things I'd like to mention:

a) Cave Story is freeware. And like 2mb.

b) cave Story is also on WiiWare channel, giving you another reason to play the Wii (there aren't too many sadly).

I'm going to download this baby!:
http://www.dcisozone.com/downloads/1...hacksmods.html

329 (!) hacks/mods for Super Mario World! Oh my god! ON THE DREAMCAST! Since Mario World, along with Earthbound and scant few others, is the only game to actually run 100% on the Dreamcast (most games run around 90%; unfortunately, Yoshi's Island runs 40%, which is a testament to how insane that game is and how much juice it sucked out of the SNES..), this will be quite the experience.

Old 11.20.2010, 08:00 PM   #3218
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I can't respect anyone's opinion aside from my own, and my own opinion is a joke, that only a 10 yr old would agree with.
Old 11.20.2010, 08:01 PM   #3219
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
pc>SEGA>>>>>>>>nintendo

I've been downloading some Dreamcast ports of pc games lately, like Duke Nukem, Rise of the Triad, DOOM, and some others (hope someone does one of Strife! And Shadow Warrior!!).. ahh, I remember back in 1993, when I could actually play games on a computer. Back in the days of Myst and uh.. Riven.

And Phantasmagoriana II: Puzzle of the Flesh, or whatever. Anyone play that? there's this fucked up part where Batman shows up.

Old 11.20.2010, 08:03 PM   #3220
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

I recommended this earlier, BUT this is worth it, it got everything, sex, violence, a superb and dark soundtrack and an overall noir/crime/serialkiller story:

fucking great, runs in DOSbox for all you PC loving gamers.

111151158159160 161 162163164171211261 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth