Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What are you playing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.03.2010, 04:26 PM   #2941
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
NR -- You hate the Prime games? I can't imagine you played any of them for more thna a few minutes if you really think that. The first one is absolutely brilliant, and again, the Metroid series is my favorite game series of all time, yet I'm still pretty hard on them (didn't like the ds game prime hunters, didn't really like parts of Echoes, metroid pinball was kinda silly, and OTHER M is horrible). And I hate first person shooters, but i dug the first prime. They've got so many mindblowing moments, actually. But I mean, the 2D ones are the best. Even Metroid II, where everything looks exactly the same (toilet water color).

Man, I don't like the Super Monkey Ball games at all, pretty boring unless you're playin with a friend for 15 minutes. Girls seem to dig em since they're easy to pick up and play, though, so that's a bonus. With my girlfriend, we usually play Tetris Attack, Lumines, Puzzle fighter, Mean Bean Machine, Bomberman, Panzer Bandits, Ikaruga, Streets of Rage 3. I think that's why we'll always be together... she likes puzzle games as much as me!

PANZER BANDITS is absolutely incredible, if you all haven't playd it, it's a ps1 game from japan only, it's a LOT like Guardian Heroes, and kinda like Strets of Rage 3 with weapons and shit. It's actuall similiar to Odin Sphere too now that I think about it. Highly reccomended. JUST LOOK at these screens, and keep in mind this game was released about a month after the psx came out..

You get to ride in vehicles/robots and all kinds of awesome shit. Awesome, throbbing, dark music and all kinds of classic beat em stages (elevators and shit)... bombs, explosions, trains, so fun.

I played through Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy a few years ago and thought it was pretty fun, certainly not bad for a cinematic-type game, a genre I typically hate. If you want some good American released gamecube games, joe, my favorites that aren't on other systems (Ikaruga, Chaos Field, and so on) are probably Tales of Symphonia (my other favorite game on the system -- I put 80 hours into this gam... best battle system in an RPG ever.. maybe Valkyrie Profile 2, Rogue Galaxy, and Star Ocean come close), Pikmin 2 (goddamn this game rules), Neighbors from Hell, Fire Emblem (my OTHER favorite game on the system, though the GBA/DS ones are great too), Paper Mario (probably my favorite game on the system, though it doesn't hold a candle to Mario RPG), Wario's World (by genius developers TREASURE -- by far my favorite game company of all time), Chibi-Robo, Odama (by the team who made SeaMan), Animal Crossing is fun though it gets a bit boring quickly. As far as cross system games go, Alien Hominid on the GC is probably the definitive version, Viewtiful Joe is better on the GC, RE4 is better on the GC, Soul CAlibur II is better on the GC, Skies of Arcadia is better on the GC,KILLER7 is better on the GC... pretty crappy system but way better than the xbox. What's interesting about the Gamecube is that it was the most powerful system of the last-gen (which meant absolutely nothing to anyone at the time), and the Wii is the least powerful system of this generation (which is apparently a big deal to everyone, since the games aren't "shiney"). I was really upset the Gamecube lost Super Paper Mario, I wish more 2D games had come out for the GC.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2010, 04:43 PM   #2942
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
you really need to pick up ALIEN HOMINID, MEGA MAN COLLECTION, MEGA MAN X COLLECTION, and METAL SLUG COLLECTION for the gamecube, too. By far my most played games on the system (too bad the Cube never got the Capcom Classics Collections like the PS2 did.. those things are so brilliant, like 52 games!). ALIEN HOMINID is a game I always see at pawn shops for a few bucks, and it's usually on sale at the developer's website for $10. Fun as hell game. And hard. I beat it recently -- no kidding, I had been played it off and on for 3 years and FINALLY beat it about a month ago.

For those who care, it has probably the best 2D animation ever that isn't made by Vanillaware or Capcom. Eye-searingly beautiful. The entire game was created by a team of about 8 people.

AMAZING graphics, fun as hell/hard as hell gameplay, tons of levels, surprisingly violent, tons of weapons that bring to mind Earthworm Jim at times in their insanity, a good sense of humor, you get to ride in helicopters and cars and all kinds of shit.. great music... so so so so well made and imaginative. Highly reccommended. Though I always see it at pawn shops, I just read the game is out of print, and the Gamecube version is considered the definitive version by the developers and it's now out of print too and they're not planning on making anymore. So, it'll probably go up in value a bit -- who knows, it might end up being $20 eventually. Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE they sold this brand new for $10, though. Jesus.

Oh, forgot to mention, the game has a bunch of fun little mini games that are minimal (is that when "mini" stands for? Er.. no.. MINIATURE) but are almost as fun as the game proper.

Old 11.03.2010, 04:51 PM   #2943
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

anywho, I've been playing

SKULLMONKEYS, which was developd by the earthwomr jim people (not david perry though -- though he always takes credit from earthworm). This game has the best music of any game ever made, and goes for like $80 on the psx, so go download it. It's the only game I think is worth playing through just for the cinemas. Such an insane game. Ther'es a part where the character burps for 2 minutes straight. Literally.

and chocobo's mystery dungeon 2, which sucks

Sorry, I've played tons of fun roguelike games and this one is the dullest ever. For those who don't know, roguelike games are games where you have to die. That's it. You kill things, level up, and die eventually. You keep your level though. So you go back into the dungeon (randomly generated) over and over, and keep leveling up so you can make it down to one extra floor or somthing. You los all your items when you die, too. It's an incredible boring, frustrating game, the only bad game square made for the psx, besides vagrant story and final fantasy 8.

Old 11.03.2010, 05:01 PM   #2944
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
fifa 11. good stuff
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2010, 05:28 PM   #2945
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
The only thing that really gets annoying about Metroid Prime is all of the scanning involved. Shit's weak.

Ikaruga looks awesome. I was this close to buying a copy of it for GC...but the copy I had my eye on was purchased by someone else before I could get it. I'll eventually burn a copy for DC. I couldn't get the one from emuparadise to work properly.

I already own Tales of Symphonia (brilliant battle system, I couldn't agree more), Alien Hominid, Viewtiful Joe, RE4, and Killer7. All great games... with Viewtiful Joe being the weakest of the bunch.

I love the first Pikmin, probably the only RTS game I've ever played...but it's awesome! I'll have to check out the sequel some day...but GameStop still wants $40 for it!

I've never played a Paper Mario game, but I've heard they were incredible! I loved both Super Mario RPG, and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

I'm only familiar with the Fire Emblem series through Marth & Roy being in Super Smash Bros Melee. It's not really a high priority game for me.

Wario World looks cool. I'm a big Wario fan (Waluigi is the worst character ever though) I think I've mentioned that before here...and Treasure does make some sweet games. All of the reviews for it make it sound like shit though.

Whenever I see Odama in a store, I always check out the back...since the cover looks so cool. It's always looked kinda dry, but I'm just going by the rear box art alone. I'm shocked to hear it was by the guys who did Seaman though.

Chibi-Robo looks really unique. I've always wanted to play that one. Oddly enough, they have 2 copies of it at the GameStop less than a mile away from my house. It's a pretty rare title, right?

I have no interest in the Soul Calibur series, and I'd rather just burn Skies of Arcadia for the DC.

WTF is Neighbors From Hell?

I'd say that the Gamecube is far from a crappy system. In fact, it's my favorite system aside from the SNES, and the Dreamcast! It packs so much power for such a cute console, and the tiny little discs! Oh, how I adore them! Most comfortable controller of all-time too.

The one game I've always wanted to play though, was Cubivore. That game just looks FUCKED UP.. and ATLUS is godly.

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2010, 05:30 PM   #2946
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, and I'd like to go on record stating that I really liked FF8. Everyone rips on that one so hard.
Old 11.03.2010, 05:41 PM   #2947
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Adam, first off there is no Metal Slug collection for GameCube. But yeah MMX collection and Alien Hominid are both great.

I played Prime for about an hour. I understand why its so liked. I'ts definitely ambitious and interesting. Just not somethign I enjoyed.
Old 11.03.2010, 05:42 PM   #2948
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
GameCube + GBPlayer = best system ever. But you all already knew that's how I felt.
Old 11.03.2010, 06:24 PM   #2949
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh right, the Cube was dead by then. Well, get it for the ps2 or the wii. The first hour of Metroid Prime introduces the mechanics. As with all Metroid games, the mindblowing stuff happens as you actually get into the game. There's no possible way the Gamecube is the best system ever, there's barely any good games for it! All the worst iterations of Nintendo's franchises, and almost no exclusive games at all. As for the GBPlayer, you can play a one player remake of Gunstar Heroes... and tons of SNES ports. Wooooooooooow. The ps2 had a huge cache of strategy games, puzzle games, RPG's, and truly mindblowing original experineces like Ico and Katamari. It was the best system of last gen. SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI NOCTURNE alone is worth the price of the system.

At least we can agree the xbox was garbage.

Old 11.03.2010, 07:15 PM   #2950
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Oh right, the Cube was dead by then. Well, get it for the ps2 or the wii. The first hour of Metroid Prime introduces the mechanics. As with all Metroid games, the mindblowing stuff happens as you actually get into the game. There's no possible way the Gamecube is the best system ever, there's barely any good games for it! All the worst iterations of Nintendo's franchises, and almost no exclusive games at all. As for the GBPlayer, you can play a one player remake of Gunstar Heroes... and tons of SNES ports. Wooooooooooow. The ps2 had a huge cache of strategy games, puzzle games, RPG's, and truly mindblowing original experineces like Ico and Katamari. It was the best system of last gen. SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI NOCTURNE alone is worth the price of the system.

At least we can agree the xbox was garbage.

wow. If you think the GBPlayer (GB, GBC, GBA library of 1989-2007) is nothing but Gunstar Heroes and a bunch of SNES ports, I don't even know what to tell you.
Old 11.03.2010, 07:35 PM   #2951
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 11.04.2010, 03:44 AM   #2952
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

GC PROS: awesome first party exclusives (SSBM, Mario Kart Double Dash!!, Windwaker, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, F-Zero, etc.), most powerful system of it's gen, shit ton of Resident Evils, GBA Player, most comfortable controller ever, best version of Killer7 and most multiplatform titles, PN03, durability & longevity, 4 controller slots, sweet discs

GC CONS:
significant lack of 3rd party support/exclusives, no DVD player, controller cord length is piss-poor (and I don't want to seek out 4 Wavebirds), could be argued as a "kiddie" system, underused online abilities

PS2 PROS: lots of RPGs, lots of 3rd party support, sweet DVD player that can be operated with controller, decent online support, great controller design, PS1 backwards compatibility, long controller cords

PS2 CONS: quantity of titles over quality, least powerful console, known to break often, only 2 controller slots w/o adapter, responsible for death of Dreamcast

XBOX PROS: hard drive (with ability to replace ost's with ripped mp3s in many titles), nearly as graphically powerful as GC, lots of 3rd party support, decent pc ports (doom 3, deus ex: invisible war), GunValkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, long controller cords with innovative "break" in the middle, XBOX Live, graphically superior to PS2, 4 controller slots, many modding capabilities

XBOX CONS: quantity of titles over quality, horridly awkward controller design, Blinx the time cat, DVD player needs remote, least amount of high quality exclusives and RPGs of the 3 consoles, mine broke on me
Old 11.04.2010, 06:44 AM   #2953
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
The one game I've always wanted to play though, was Cubivore. That game just looks FUCKED UP.. and ATLUS is godly.

aTLUS did Demon's Souls(the game I've been playing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Oh, and I'd like to go on record stating that I really liked FF8. Everyone rips on that one so hard.

and yes. I like FF8 a lot too. My only problem was how the enemies level with your character.....
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2010, 07:41 AM   #2954
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I don't even care if anyone thinks ps2 is better than gamecube. It had full support for ps1, so it's also a huge library. ANd for the record, I'm saying that the gbplayer is the best console. But that's part of the Cube. Ther'es a handful of gcn games I adore, but more than anything I'm talking gb/gbc/gba library anyway. But like I said, there's certainly an argument to be made that PS1/2 library is better than GB/GBC/GBA/GCN -- however it's down to personal taste. Do you NEED a Zelda game? Oh shit then yr out of luck with Sony. At any rate, what I find shocking (Adam) is that you could say that the entire gb/gbc/gba is just "Gunstar Heroes and SNES ports" ... have you never glanced at my blog? Like the games or not, there's a lot of impressive gb stuff out there. (plus I remember you backign up my saying GCN+GBPlayer was best console once becuz you pointed out that until the first Zelda DS game you could at a time play EVERY Zelda release on that one console. I think you had other examples too, so not sure why you disagree now). And if you bring up being single-player only in some cases, well again that's personal taste. For me, I do 99% of my gaming alone and always have (besides my wife I have no gamer friends IRL) so 2Player means very little to me anyway. But anyway, I just feel like yr dismissing a huge library in a way that would be like saying PS2 is "just Shadow Of The Colossus and a bunch of 3D games. wooooooooooooooooow"
Old 11.04.2010, 07:46 AM   #2955
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
ps3 is the best console. /discussion.
Old 11.04.2010, 08:01 AM   #2956
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
ps3 is the best console. /discussion.

yikes. Yr serious? I'd say it's the worst of the current gen. (though I'll give it a nod for 3D Dot Hero)
Old 11.04.2010, 09:11 AM   #2957
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
yikes. Yr serious? I'd say it's the worst of the current gen. (though I'll give it a nod for 3D Dot Hero)

yes. because of its ability when modded.

and worst of current gen? come on....
Old 11.04.2010, 09:17 AM   #2958
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
yes. because of its ability when modded.

and worst of current gen? come on....

Wii could be modded too. Not sure about 360. But regardless, I'm not talking about what emulators or homebrew can be put on a modded machine. I'm saying as far as off-the-shelf systems go...

Wii - great for casual games, light gun games, and virtual console.
360 - great for Shmups
PS3 - 3D Dot Hero
Old 11.04.2010, 09:23 AM   #2959
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Wii's mods aren't anythnig special. Rip games. that's aboot it.
360's mods are just baout the same, except there are better media players to go along and play certain video formats.
ps3 mods. possibilities are much greater than that of the 360.

off the shelf systems.....hmm.......well....they're all equally shitty.
Old 11.04.2010, 09:32 AM   #2960
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
off the shelf systems.....hmm.......well....they're all equally shitty.

off the shelf PS3 is extra shitty
98138145146147 148 149150151158198248 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth