Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What are you playing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.14.2011, 03:46 PM   #4001
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
let's talk about a better game than SSB now.
Old 05.14.2011, 03:59 PM   #4002
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
No such game exists.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2011, 04:10 PM   #4003
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Yeah, I see your point there. Even when I talk them into using items, they demand to turn off the hammer, star, and all the healing items. I tend to agree, I do hate the hammer.

there ya go. We'll use items n stuff....but we really need to be bored or it's on 99 stock(however we never get past 70 lives)

OK Ok! that's the last of SSB talk...I think. Points have been made and some enjoy the items...while others don't. It's cool. and NR doesn't like SSB cause he's a n00b.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2011, 04:19 PM   #4004
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostchase
No such game exists.

that's hilarious if yr serious.
Old 05.14.2011, 04:25 PM   #4005
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Don't worry I'm not. lol
Old 05.14.2011, 05:19 PM   #4006
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
My final note on SSB, I have played through a match with 99 stock, extremely tedious.

Played through Mass Effect recently.

A whole lot of fun. It has a pretty entertaining story with a ridiculous amount of exposition that actually hurt it in parts, but not too much. The RPG mechanics are well, slimmed down from the norm, but aren't so minimized that they're non-existent. The inventory system is an absolute joke, and there are way too many fluffy weapons and mods that just bog you down.

The moral exploration in the game is at the very least decent, and pretty solid in parts, an example being when you choose between releasing a dead soldier's corpse to grieving husband or allowing the military to retain her body for experiments concerning a toxin she was exposed to where the research may save many lives.

The world is beautifully realized and easy to slip into, and the characters are mostly superbly realized. However, there is one huge problem with the characters that doesn't exactly break the game, but severely hurts my enjoyment of it. The characters on your crew almost never speak to eachother. For about 97% of the game, they only talk to you. There is WAY too much of a 'just along for the ride' vibe for your party. And the only time they ever talk to eachother is in those silly little elevator ride sequences. This is with the exception of Virmire, which is easily the best part of the game. Where the members of your party (ie other than you) get injected with some actual drama, Wrex being the particular example. The game would've been so much better if it felt like the members of your party were actually collaborating together towards a common goal, as opposed to everyone just following your lead.

Anyway, very fun game, stole a ridiculous amount of stuff from Star Control 2, but that doesn't bother me too much for some reason. Gonna play the sequel fairly soon.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2011, 06:03 PM   #4007
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
strip solitaire

Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2011, 06:28 PM   #4008
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

It's easily one of the most ingenious franchises, and obviously one of the best party games ever. I don't think that opinion is even slightly humorous.

I agree with Ghostchase/Count Mecha about the items, but I also think it's occasionally fun to play how EVOL does - a true test of skills.

I like the SMASH BALL (is that what it's called?) a lot. It reminds me of Power Stone... with the ability to gain super strength/powers when all 3 stones are collected. Racing one another to crack the SMASH BALL is so much fun or when you hit it, it bounces forward and your opponent gets it. It keeps shit lively and really separates the series from others in the genre.

Also, does anyone think they should have never taken the coins out of any of the Mario Kart games?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2011, 10:33 AM   #4009
noisereductions
invito al cielo

maybe it's cuz I don't really have gaming friends that can easily be in my living room, so Party Games mean shit to me.
Old 05.15.2011, 04:48 PM   #4010
Ghostchase
100%

Yeah I always found the coins annoying, no coins for me.

I finally beat RE:5. Damn, that took me forever.

I got a nice "S" in my first Max mission in Advance Wars while making pancakes. I keep neglecting my DS lately, got to play more.
Old 05.15.2011, 07:25 PM   #4011
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Old 05.15.2011, 09:59 PM   #4012
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

A moody, surreal, survival horror, arcade-shooter-RPG.

I love it.
Old 05.16.2011, 06:23 PM   #4013
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 05.16.2011, 06:50 PM   #4014
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Ikaruga is great.

Old 05.16.2011, 06:56 PM   #4015
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
ps3? what't the verdict.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2011, 08:08 AM   #4016
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
ps3? what't the verdict.

yeah, PS3. I was on the fence about buying it, cuz none of my online friends have it yet -- but I scored it in a really easy trade, so whatever.

basically, i'ts by far the best MK release since the original trilogy. It feels A LOT like those games, which is welcome. It sticks to 2D (thank you!), and keeps the original controls (basically -- instead of LP, HP, LK, HK it's front/back -- but same feel). It's challenging, but not impossible. It also can be cheap, which is authentic to the original games .Haha.

bottom line: I like it. Enough to keep it, and play it for a while.

In fact, I think I'm gonna pick up Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe as well, since a good friend of mine is really into it, and I wanna play online with him. It's supposed to be a similar throwback style.

Having said all that: I still am a much MUCH bigger fan of Capcom games. Honestly SSF4 and MVC3 are just so so so amazing. I probably prefer MVC3, but SSF4 is easily my most played PS3 game right now, since I have a whole fightclub of online friends who own it so we can get together and tourney.
Old 05.17.2011, 11:27 AM   #4017
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

A moody, surreal, survival horror, arcade-shooter-RPG.

I love it.

This game is so unbelievably cool. No wonder ASP was going absolutely nuts over it.

BRILLIANT blend of genres. I swear.
Old 05.17.2011, 02:59 PM   #4018
Ghostchase
100%

Did you play it on Dreamcast or PC?
Old 05.17.2011, 03:38 PM   #4019
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dreamcast. A copy finally popped up at Destiny Games (local game shop). I've been wanting to have a go at it for a while now.

So far, it's sorta like tank-control Resident Evil but with Parasite Eve-like baddies instead of zombies. There's lots and lots of snow, and a very effective minimal moody aesthetic. Things get really weird.

The combat is handled like random encounter RPG battles. But instead of doing turn-based atacks, like in an RPG, it takes you to this FPS arcade shooter screen where you move the cursor around and empty machine gun clips (other weapons available) into these crazy alien-insect-mongoloid things as they shoot their green blood into the white snow. While in battle, you use X and Y to dodge left or right, and will be signaled to do so in typical arcade fashion.

After said encounters, you gain Exp pts and level up-RPG style.

When you're not fighting, it's more than just typical survival-horror fare. As you are given both a camera to take snapshots of the beautiful landscape or peculiar things you'll come across with, and a rifle to hunt down any wild prey to cook meats in your portable cooker. Like RE4, the scope of the rifle goes for realism, and is especially shaky the further you zoom in.

I think the one potential flaw of it, is that it is described as a cinematic game and that's not to be taken lightly. The cut-scenes are in abundance. I haven't played the first D, but the whole concept of that was to be a literal film/game. I usually can't stand most cut scenes, but D2's have been engaging enough, despite the dreadful lip sync, so that they haven't necessarily hindered my experience so far.

So yeah, that's my opinion in a nutshell. It's a moody, surreal, survival horror, arcade-shooter-RPG.
Old 05.17.2011, 03:53 PM   #4020
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Actually, did Parasite Eve have tank controls too? I can't remember.
151191198199200 201 202203204211251 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth