Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page INCINERATE, in depth lyrics... gotcha, Mr. Moore!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.04.2006, 05:50 PM   #1
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
Well, INCINERATE is probably my very fave tune off the whole SY discography right now... I love the song so much. And the lyrics are just WONDERFUL.

So I was surfing the net and came thru the famous "Thurston Story" once again, and read carefully this time around...

there you go:

"I met this girl and became obsessed with being in love with her. She was fucking this older writer poet guy who lived in my building on the top floor.
I would hang out my window from afternoon to evening hoping and waiting for her to turn the corner.
One day she knocked, came in and I knew we were gonna have to be together forever. Five minutes later the writer guy knocked and walked in all innocent and smiling and I realized the two of them had plans that day and she said "OK, see ya later!' and I was like, "OK" and then I blanked out. It wasn't so tragic cuz I did eventually score some quality time with her (she was Swedish!) but too many stupid hours were spent walking from the East Village to Tribeca, back and forth, chanting punker mantras of unrequited desire, hoping to run into this incredible on- the-loose girl.

[...]

I spent a glorious March week end with the Swedish girl I was obsessed with and I figured she would just stay in my apartment forever from that moment on but she left Monday morning wear- ing my overcoat. She actually said she'd be right back but she never returned. I ran into her a couple of weeks later and she refused to address the issue and I told her I needed my coat back. I actually almonst cried in front of her and told her I loved her and all I wanted was a girlfriend to live with and all the while a fire engine was screaming past us. She knew what I was saying and just kind of smiled compassionately because of all the noise around us. We were both a little embarrassed."

Well, not only this story touched me deep inside the very first time I read it (I went thru something like this too...) but right now I think it adds to these lyrics (pay close attention!):

incinerate
i ripped yr heart out from yr chest
replaced it with a grenade blast
incinerate x4
firefighters hose me down
i don't care i'll burn out anyhow
it's 4 alarm girl nothing to see
hear the sirens come for me

you dosed my soul with gasoline
you flicked a match into my brain
incinerate x 4
the firefighters are so nice
i remember you so cold as ice
now flames are licking at yr feet
sirens come to put me out of misery

you wave yr torch into my eyes
flamethrower lover burning mind
incinerate x 8

words: thurston moore / 2006

If this is it, well Thurston... carry on man. You've got my total support.
Ciao all...
Old 06.04.2006, 07:15 PM   #2
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
that's cool. do you have a link to the page?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2006, 07:46 PM   #3
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
well it's really out there, i found it on the old forum a while ago and i recently refound it at the TM fansite here: http://www.leeranaldo.net/starfieldroad/Pages/about.htm

you know what's weird, this is the song i had in mind - and kept playing - when i finally decided to go on and tell the girl i was obsessed with that i liked her.

what a ruin man...
Old 06.04.2006, 11:04 PM   #4
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
aw, wow.
Old 06.04.2006, 11:43 PM   #5
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
Ha, now the lyrics don't seem quite as stupid. Thanks.

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 09:10 AM   #6
max
expwy. to yr skull

you're welcome! but the lyrics never sounded stupid to me. there's a lot of... love in those words. sheer love. passion.

and this is just a personal humble interpretation of the whole thing...
Old 06.12.2006, 08:40 PM   #7
max
expwy. to yr skull

bumpee!
Old 06.12.2006, 11:16 PM   #8
Dan
bad moon rising

Dan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Cool, I always liked that story.
Dan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 03:45 PM   #9
max
expwy. to yr skull

re bumpee!
Old 03.30.2007, 02:05 PM   #10
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
thats awesome, I'm glad I randomly opened this thread on page 54 and read this.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2007, 02:09 PM   #11
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Nice work.
Old 03.30.2007, 04:19 PM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mex
Well, INCINERATE is probably my very fave tune off the whole SY discography right now... I love the song so much. And the lyrics are just WONDERFUL.

So I was surfing the net and came thru the famous "Thurston Story" once again, and read carefully this time around...

"Incinerate" is nowhere near my favorite Sonic Youth song, but, like most, it's a good one.
And, although some of the song's imagery does seem to loosely fit the "Thurston story," I think the song has much more to do with being sort of a corollary or follow-up to some of his best lyrics.

On "Candle," Thurston sings:
I can't stay a candle
Gotta change my mind before it burns out

On "Incinerate," Thurston sings:
firefighters hose me down
i don't care i'll burn out anyhow

Now these songs and lyrics may have absolutely nil to do with each other. There certainly is no reasonable proof that they do have anything to do with one another other than the specific words "burn out."
I, however, think differently. I think the songs have everything to do with one another.

Thurston used to really care; now he really doesn't give a fuck
(or at least not like he used to).
lyrics explained...
RATHER RIPPED, baby!
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2007, 04:32 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
excellent!!!

Love posts like this!

INCINERATE!

IN SIN AERATE!
Old 03.30.2007, 04:40 PM   #14
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
So, he has now resigned himself more, but not neccessarily in a terribly bad way. For all of its rather apparent sense of detachment, the song still praises art and love...ecstatic peace.
"Incinerate" is a reflection of stages on life's way, like max inferred, but it's also an expression of an eventual realization whereby one becomes conscious of their limitations now that they are more wise and mature.

In this way, it's also a "continuation" of "Rain on Tin"'s meditation mantra of what one can do (when the world is runnin' down/you make the best of what's still around) and what is the perhaps the proper response to this world:

We all hope
To signal kin
Rays of gold
Now rain on tin
Gather round
Gather friends
Never fear
Never again
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2007, 01:28 AM   #15
max
expwy. to yr skull

I always perceived T's lyrics as being very well conscious of the state of feelings that surround him. In my mind, it's almost ALWAYS very clear what he is trying to communicate... and that - to me at least - is the point... I mean, that's music, gotta reach your heart + mind.
Old 03.31.2007, 01:28 AM   #16
max
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
So, he has now resigned himself more, but not neccessarily in a terribly bad way. For all of its rather apparent sense of detachment, the song still praises art and love...ecstatic peace.
"Incinerate" is a reflection of stages on life's way, like max inferred, but it's also an expression of an eventual realization whereby one becomes conscious of their limitations now that they are more wise and mature.

In this way, it's also a "continuation" of "Rain on Tin"'s meditation mantra of what one can do (when the world is runnin' down/you make the best of what's still around) and what is the perhaps the proper response to this world:

We all hope
To signal kin
Rays of gold
Now rain on tin
Gather round
Gather friends
Never fear
Never again

and those are very wise words, my friends...
Old 03.31.2007, 03:34 AM   #17
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
excellent. as someone jus said, the lyrics dont seem half as dumb now......
Old 04.01.2007, 04:46 AM   #18
max
expwy. to yr skull

thanx peeps, i'm kinda blushing...! props to Thurston anyway, he did it all himself..
i'm quite sure there's a "key" to unlock almost all of his tunes. sometimes it's just a matter of perception.
Old 04.01.2007, 04:55 AM   #19
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
There's a good Guitar Pro tab of Incinerate: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...guitar_pro.htm

If you don't have Guitar Pro, the demo is there (it actually still works after the 15 days of trial): http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 07:24 AM   #20
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
I always perceived T's lyrics as being very well conscious of the state of feelings that surround him. In my mind, it's almost ALWAYS very clear what he is trying to communicate... and that - to me at least - is the point... I mean, that's music, gotta reach your heart + mind.
I'm jealous of this. I am hardly ever even aware of my emotional state at anytime, let alone in a position where I could actually put it into words.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth