Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.20.2013, 11:29 AM   #16501
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=evollove]

Quote:
SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS- I liked it a lot, particularly the ending which turns the movie's meta ways towards something deeper.

I'm really curious to see that one.

Quote:
ARGO - This film in and of itself is fantastic. It's a classic with the same riveting pace and social/historical import as ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN. But beyond the film itself I've learned that Affleck changed some of the facts. In other words, he didn't trust the drama of the story he chose to tell, so he amped up reality. I know he's hardly the first, but this time it seems so pointless. The real story is great. A film just as exciting could be made based solely on the dry facts, but Afleck couldn't do it or didn't trust himself to do it.

I was really impressed with Ben Affleck's first two films, Gone Baby Gone and The Town, so I'm really looking forward to this. The tampering with facts issue aside (All the Presidents Men did it, too) he's becoming a far better director than he ever was an actor, I think.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2013, 11:33 AM   #16502
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic sphere

Along with Shivers that's my favourite Cronenberg.
Old 01.20.2013, 11:44 AM   #16503
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=demonrail666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

I'm really curious to see that one.

I was really impressed with Ben Affleck's first two films, Gone Baby Gone and The Town, so I'm really looking forward to this. The tampering with facts issue aside (All the Presidents Men did it, too) he's becoming a far better director than he ever was an actor, I think.

You can't deny that when he wants to be, he can be a bloody good actor.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2013, 01:15 PM   #16504
demonrail666
invito al cielo

^^H8kurdt

I completely agree, but I don't think I'd seek out a movie on the strength of him starring in it in the way that I've started to with whatever he directs.
Old 01.20.2013, 09:49 PM   #16505
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
THIS IS 40 - If you liked FUNNY PEOPLE. I kinda like Apatow's new meandering style.

BACHLORETTE - Puts Bridesmaids to shame. Funnier, coarser, wiser.

DJANGO - Bummed me out and left a real bad taste in my mouth.

HYDE PARK ON THE HUDSON - Jesus fuck, what a boring movie, which Bill Murray does not a thing to help.

LINCOLN- Jesus fuck, what a boring movie, which Day Lewis does something to help. Also Kushner's occasionally brilliant script, though there are some flat-out bad moments in there too.

ZERO DARK THIRTY - An oddly cold, emotionally vacant movie. That's the point, I suppose. Left me with a cold, emotionally vacant response.

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK- HATED this movie. Quirky, attractive people initially don't get along, but they are too hot to NOT fuck each other.

LES MIS - Probably a really good movie, just not for me. I started skipping around once my eyes got used to the mindblowing effects. What'sherface is really good.

TEXAS CHAINSAW - Big surprise: it's not too bad. Well made, good enough plot, and there's a moment near the end when Leatherface is getting beat up and we feel kinda bad for him. Neat trick.

SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS- I liked it a lot, particularly the ending which turns the movie's meta ways towards something deeper.

BERNIE- Almost unbearably slow for the first hour, but it's a movie that I've had difficulty shaking off since watching it. Jack Black's performance is lovable, as always. Dude'll win an Oscar someday.

SAVAGES- I guess it's dumb to complain about a movie with such a title, but this very unnecessary violence and lack of moral center (and really lousy ending) put me in a queasy, bad mood.

ARGO - This film in and of itself is fantastic. It's a classic with the same riveting pace and social/historical import as ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN. But beyond the film itself I've learned that Affleck changed some of the facts. In other words, he didn't trust the drama of the story he chose to tell, so he amped up reality. I know he's hardly the first, but this time it seems so pointless. The real story is great. A film just as exciting could be made based solely on the dry facts, but Afleck couldn't do it or didn't trust himself to do it.

So the best movie of the year is actually not. Very frustrating.

Thats a good roundup of films. My faves of the year shook out like this:

15. Once Upon a Time In Anatolia (total mood film)
14. Cloud Atlas (ambitious and oddly moving)
13. The Grey (existential and not what I expected in a great way)
12. Perfect Sense (truly under rated and released apocalypse film)
11. Beasts of the Southern Wild (profound, like New Orleans David Gordon Green)
10. Kill List (the less you know, the better off you are)
9. Rampart (rambling but corrosive)
8. Killer Joe (brutal and brutally funny)
7. Rust and Bone (another masterpiece for Audiard)
6. Oslo August 31 (deeply moving)
5. Looper (best sci fi in years?)
4. Anna Karenina (love how it manipulates time and space, formally ravishing)
3. Moonrise Kingdom (surreally sweet, as usual for Wes)
2. Zero Dark Thirty (a crackling procedural.... Chastain deserves the Oscar)
1. The Master (a towering, oblique masterpiece)
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2013, 11:22 PM   #16506
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
MARS ATTACKS

and then i thought, why not listen to it with the audio only soundtrack?
which is something i've been wanting to stick onto a cd
Dr Chocolate is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2013, 07:31 AM   #16507
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2013, 02:10 PM   #16508
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

watched this classic again with my wife. she had not seen it. Great flick.
Old 01.22.2013, 02:20 PM   #16509
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The pic isn't showing. What is it?
Old 01.22.2013, 02:23 PM   #16510
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
sorry, Day of The Jackal, original 1973 one.
Old 01.22.2013, 03:56 PM   #16511
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
sorry, Day of The Jackal, original 1973 one.

Somewhere up there, my dad's reading that and thinking, now there's a man who knows how to educate a woman.

Must spread more rep, etc
Old 01.23.2013, 12:41 AM   #16512
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah Jessica Chastain will win this year. I'm surprised at the response to Django, I thought it was a blast.

Jessica is quite the workhouse it seems. Good choice of roles. And her lips are mighty pouty.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2013, 06:48 AM   #16513
Stijn
bad moon rising

Stijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's asses

Great
Stijn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2013, 02:40 PM   #16514
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Cabin in the Woods

The last half hour of this film effectively saves it for me, going from "what was all the fuss about?" to, "oh, so that's what all the fuss was about."
Old 01.23.2013, 10:00 PM   #16515
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

"no jews were hurt in the making of this film"

i liked it a lot-- actually i'm probably overrating it, but eh.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2013, 11:59 PM   #16516
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
just finished part 2 of barry lyndon-- watched part 1 last week

to those who think blu-ray makes no difference---- daaamn it looks amazing

web pictures don't do justice, but i believe stills from this movie ought to be hanged in modern art museums all over the world, as postmodern reconstructions of classic painting

absolutely exquisite. the way kubrick made use of bad actors to fit his style is just genius.
Old 01.24.2013, 03:12 AM   #16517
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't seen that movie all the way through.
Old 01.24.2013, 09:02 AM   #16518
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Very enjoyable and odd movie. JB has done it again.
Old 01.24.2013, 09:48 AM   #16519
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't seen that movie all the way through.

i know you like the more what should i say the more actor-oriented films? dramas, you know, what bresson called filmed theatre, and yes there are great great movies in that style, but this one is just so much eye candy, so much of a visual pleasure, primarily, and then only everything else.

it can be exhausting and boring and all that-- but it's beautiful.

like i don't know- l'avventura is also visually gorgeous slow and boring.

anyway i hope you get to see it-- the bluray is the wrong aspect ratio, but it's still amazing for the quality it brings to the screen

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/ba...-aspect-ratio/

^^ look, even this man calls it boring. but i call it delicious!

---

ps- read this if you wanna nerd it up!

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/d...erview.bl.html
Old 01.24.2013, 01:07 PM   #16520
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Anyone who thinks L'avventura and/or Barry Lyndon are boring ought to be sterilized (Just kidding, but still)
well they are "boring" in that a lot less happens between the actors than in other films. the narration is more visual in style.

if you consider that the snappy dialogue of "the maltese falcon" makes it one of demonrail's favorite movies you can see how the polar opposite of more cinematography-based films wouldn't tickle him so much. (im going to venture a guess and presume he's probably not crazy about"kooyanisqatsi" or tarkovski's "solaris" either.)

these are difficult movies in general because they depart from the conventions of filmed theatre that inform traditional film. you have to get accustomed to their language and that's not always an easy transition-- and even if you get their alternative conventions it doesn't mean that the movie itself has to be your thing. i think i get matthew barney but i still hate a number of his movies.

and while i take delight in many so-called boring movies, i really draw the line at david lynch's inland empire wankery-- that's both boring an irredeemable for me, except for some select snippets. maybe some day i'll have a chance to alter my evaluation of it, but definitely not today. regardless, david lynch doesn't need me to love his every movie and i'm sure he's not even aware of my existence.
726776816823824825 826 827828829836876926 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth