Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Live Youth - How do they pull it off?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Burzunium
empty page

Burzunium has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
So recently I was listening to the soundboard from LA in 1998, and it struck me how smooth the transitions were live. If you factor in the complex arrangements of many songs from A Thousand Leaves and of course, Anagrama, it becomes apparent that pulling such smooth transitions with such different parts of the songs must be a pretty difficult thing to do.

So, how?

In my listening, I've noticed that Steve is usually the big queuer, or Kim, since she plays the most rhythmic parts (at least for this era), but sometimes, there is no Steve intervention, and going back perfectly to a section of the song, among so much noise and feedback must be a terribly daunting task to time and get it so perfectly.

Then there are visual queues, but Sonic Youth doesn't really seem like the band with the biggest eye contact amongst its members.

Finally, I am curious as to how much improvisation goes in into certain songs, like Hits of Sunshine. With such a steady beat with Lee and Thurston playing their parts over it, can we be 100% sure these are improvised? Some noises are really reminiscent of the respective studio versions.

However they do it, it's really fascinating.
Burzunium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 09:06 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
they...like...ya know....just do man...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
i wink, you jump.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth