Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Goodnight, Sweet Prince - atsonicpark extended remix
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.05.2014, 09:24 PM   #21
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
in his CHILDHOOD the guy had already written novels and books of short stories and about 10 other genres of things that i can't remember off the top of my head.

how prolific this guy was in what he created, and also, how encyclopaedic he was in what he consumed, is just staggering. someone should write out the entire adam cooley discog.

we talked about this once and he told me he just thought other people were lazy. i wish i knew how to disagree with that.

his films were post post modern masterpieces. i encourage everyone to watch them. this is the kind of guy he was, he simply decided one day in his 20s to make a fucking movie. and he did. he made like 3 of them in fact.

the aesthetic this guy had wasn't self consciously diy or anything. he just DID stuff. he picked up a cheap camera and made a film on windows xp. this is the kind of attitude he had - he just did things. the camera he used cost like $25. he had those films screened in public. he took every opportunity there was, or made them happen himself, with his work. and the joy and passion he had for what he did shines through in everything.

i felt like he had life utterly sussed. he worked shifts in wall mart and saved his money carefully. he never had any idiotic dreams or narcissistic fantasies about his celebrity self. of course, its easy to think that about other people, but its not often other people really make you believe it.

none of what im saying is hype or over estimation or an attempt to glorify the guy. there wasnt anything magic about him, he just went out and created stuff.

what was also so unique was how adam didn't have a vindictive streak whatsoever. even when he talked about other peoples failings, there was no mean spiritedness. he was a man who knew his own mind.

i know all of this sounds like bullshit, and i am a bullshitter, but despite that, i dont think im exaggerating or saying any of this out of some tragic romanticism or anything. its all true.

rest in peace adam you were an absolute legend.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 09:29 PM   #22
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Such GREAT advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
This sucks so much and I'm crying and I love you all. Please please take care of yourselves
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 09:33 PM   #23
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think Bytor was being sarcastic.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 09:35 PM   #24
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Rip. I'm saddened by this.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 09:39 PM   #25
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry bytor. I deleted it. I'm just really shaken up right now
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 09:40 PM   #26
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I totally agree. I'm going to bookmark this thread for whenever I get sad about him:
http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10801

Such a great thread.

Ah, the memories.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 09:43 PM   #27
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
nik, that post was so spot on. He couldn't even play an instrument when he started Scissor Shock. He just picked up a guitar and casio and made stuff. That was part of how his art was so unique. He did things his way and had such a great outsider perspective. Same with his films like you said, he didn't know how to make films but he just DID IT and his personality just consumes his work through it. He still had way more movies and music to make.

Here's the 2 scissor shock songs he sent me a few weeks back. I don't think anyone's heard them except me:
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/21323225/file.html
Old 02.05.2014, 09:44 PM   #28
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Tonight I will watch the DVD he sent me. The NO trilogy.
Old 02.05.2014, 09:46 PM   #29
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
nik, that post was so spot on. He couldn't even play an instrument when he started Scissor Shock. He just picked up a guitar and casio and made stuff. That was part of how his art was so unique. He did things his way and had such a great outsider perspective. Same with his films like you said, he didn't know how to make films but he just DID IT and his personality just consumes his work through it. He still had way more movies and music to make.

Here's the 2 scissor shock songs he sent me a few weeks back. I don't think anyone's heard them except me:
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/21323225/file.html

Thanks!

Derek I lost my scissor shock, robe., and ruinhorse files, by any chance can you direct me to where I may be able to recover these files?
Old 02.05.2014, 09:46 PM   #30
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't think Bytor was being sarcastic.

Thanks Derek!

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic in any way......just wanted to be clear about that for anyone who may read this later.

Taking care of ourselves for ourselves and for those who love us is the greatest / least selfish thing we can do!

For those who were close to him, I'm so sorry for your personal loss. For the rest of us who got to interact with him via SYG, I'm sorry for our loss.

IF someone knows what / how it happened and can bring themselves to share the details, it would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
Sorry bytor. I deleted it. I'm just really shaken up right now

No problem at all, I more than understand!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 09:53 PM   #32
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
For the rest of us who got to interact with him via SYG, I'm sorry for our loss.

this of course.

I think we were all blessed to have him around us when we did. I know he exposed me to all kinds of things - music, film, games, and just a way of thinking. He was so OK with liking what he liked. He had a way of being so excited by the things he was enjoying and that was a great thing to be around.
Old 02.05.2014, 09:56 PM   #33
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Thanks!

Derek I lost my scissor shock, robe., and ruinhorse files, by any chance can you direct me to where I may be able to recover these files?

If you have soulseek then my username is black mage, I have the full discographies. I also have the RANGER RACCOON album he did when he was 15. It's fruityloops techno and he randomly just bursts in screaming halfway through every song. It's awesome.

If not, then type his name into archive.org and most of his stuff should come up. He was really into uploading his stuff to archive.org. He'd never take my suggestion to upload all his stuff to bandcamp but I may do that someday for him.
Old 02.05.2014, 10:05 PM   #34
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
this of course.

I think we were all blessed to have him around us when we did. I know he exposed me to all kinds of things - music, film, games, and just a way of thinking. He was so OK with liking what he liked. He had a way of being so excited by the things he was enjoying and that was a great thing to be around.

This. No one matched his excitement for art.

(And n'ik thanks for that)
Old 02.05.2014, 10:23 PM   #35
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
ok...this is now the fourth time I have tried to type this....I feel it is important to say though so here I go again damn it

#1 You will never convince an addict to change...it is something we must find on our own

#2 As an addict you find yrself with only 2 choices either succumb to the pain (KURDT) or pick yrself up and keep fuckin fighting

#3 I believe Adam was a fighter...but he died for the common good

#4 I also believe that Adam died as a martyr for those of us who will struggle daily with the disease. He will live forever as a reminder to me of the life I have taken for granted and how quick and unexpectedly it can be snatched away.

#5 Yall already know my stance on god....if ya don't look up some of my old posts....I ignored my beliefs for a very long time and my situation simply grew worse. The only thing in this world that was able to change my perspective was my belief in a higher power. I have witnessed too many coincidences in my life to just agree that we are not alone.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 10:25 PM   #36
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
in his CHILDHOOD the guy had already written novels and books of short stories and about 10 other genres of things that i can't remember off the top of my head.

how prolific this guy was in what he created, and also, how encyclopaedic he was in what he consumed, is just staggering. someone should write out the entire adam cooley discog.

we talked about this once and he told me he just thought other people were lazy. i wish i knew how to disagree with that.

his films were post post modern masterpieces. i encourage everyone to watch them. this is the kind of guy he was, he simply decided one day in his 20s to make a fucking movie. and he did. he made like 3 of them in fact.

the aesthetic this guy had wasn't self consciously diy or anything. he just DID stuff. he picked up a cheap camera and made a film on windows xp. this is the kind of attitude he had - he just did things. the camera he used cost like $25. he had those films screened in public. he took every opportunity there was, or made them happen himself, with his work. and the joy and passion he had for what he did shines through in everything.

the world was constantly disappointing him because it couldnt keep up with him, and it burnt him out i think.

talking to this guy for any amount of time was a pleasure. he was never mean or vicious like i am. but he could keenly discern why so many of the other "artists" around him would end up accomplishing absolutely nothing. and he was right. he could see the forest for the fucking trees allright.

i felt like he had life utterly sussed. he worked shifts in wall mart and saved his money carefully. he never had any idiotic dreams or narcissistic fantasies about his celebrity self. of course, its easy to think that about other people, but its not often other people really make you believe it.

none of what im saying is hype or over estimation or an attempt to glorify the guy. there wasnt anything magic about him, he just went out and created stuff.

what was also so unique was how adam didn't have a vindictive streak whatsoever. even when he talked about other peoples failings, there was no mean spiritedness. he was a man who knew his own mind.

i know all of this sounds like bullshit, and i am a bullshitter, but despite that, i dont think im exaggerating or saying any of this out of some tragic romanticism or anything. its all true.

rest in peace adam you were an absolute legend.

Yes his attitude about life was so admirable!!!! He accomplished so much in his short life.

Old 02.05.2014, 10:25 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
This is fucked up. Melly just told me what happened. Adam had demons man, and he fought through shit. This sucks to hear. Don't know what to say right now.
Old 02.05.2014, 10:33 PM   #38
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

20 fuckin 7??????? I am still in shock

Old 02.05.2014, 10:33 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Http:// fuppets.blogspot.com/2010/08/blaze-pot-smoking-deer.html

That is a post I did bout one of his cartoon collaborations.
Old 02.05.2014, 10:40 PM   #40
Derek
invito al cielo

Here's Adam's last imdb post, left 6 days ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/...8164#225268164

He discusses a fallacy in logic in regards to The Wire and The Sopranos. He changed his little picture to Quasimoto that day too. That's so fucking Adam.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth