Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page top 5 sonic youth albums, part infinity
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2012, 10:31 PM   #61
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Sister
Sonic Nurse
Washing Machine
Rather Ripped
Daydream Nation

That's the most concrete list I seem to have.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2012, 12:54 PM   #62
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelocia
EVOL
Sister
Daydream Nation
Goo
Dirty

I ordered these in the order of release on purpose for a few reasons: Sister is my personal favorite but it is not their best. Whether it's your favorite, not your favorite, or didn't even make your top five, Daydream IS their best album. Dirty is not as good of an album as the four that preceded it but it is still fucking amazing. My two favorite Sonic Youth songs ever are Theressa's Sound-World and Wish Fulfillment.

Though I agree that Daydream is definitive, I think that Murray Street is equally brilliant. It is every bit as seamless and perfect. As good an album for the band SY became in their later era as DN was for the SY of the '80s.

Neither album is my personal favorite, but they are two sides of the same coin.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2012, 04:32 PM   #63
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Though I agree that Daydream is definitive, I think that Murray Street is equally brilliant. It is every bit as seamless and perfect. As good an album for the band SY became in their later era as DN was for the SY of the '80s.

Neither album is my personal favorite, but they are two sides of the same coin.

I really wanted to include Murray Street and Sonic Nurse as part of my top five because I love those albums to death, but I just couldn't. I really feel that between '86 and '92... they reached a level of greatness that cannot be matched ever again. And the majority of the reason for that is just the time period. Just with music in general I have a hard time listening to anything past '93. I make exceptions of course but not many.

When I was waiting in line to see Lee at Other Music on the 20th of March, I was talking about why I loved those five Sonic Youth albums and my friend said to me "You gotta include BMR." And I just always say no because I feel that Thurston and Kim's songwriting on that album (and Confusion) pales in comparison to EVOL, Sister, and Daydream. I do love BMR and Confusion though.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2012, 05:39 PM   #64
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I really wanted to include Murray Street and Sonic Nurse as part of my top five because I love those albums to death, but I just couldn't. I really feel that between '86 and '92... they reached a level of greatness that cannot be matched ever again. And the majority of the reason for that is just the time period. Just with music in general I have a hard time listening to anything past '93. I make exceptions of course but not many.

When I was waiting in line to see Lee at Other Music on the 20th of March, I was talking about why I loved those five Sonic Youth albums and my friend said to me "You gotta include BMR." And I just always say no because I feel that Thurston and Kim's songwriting on that album (and Confusion) pales in comparison to EVOL, Sister, and Daydream. I do love BMR and Confusion though.

I just mean that Murray Street was as beautiful and perfect a representation of their music in 2002 as Daydream was in '88. Neither is my favorite, but I can't deny that those two albums are the true peaks of the band's career.

Some will say Washing Machine was one as well-- that on it the band (finally) put together an accurate representation of what they wanted to be in the '90s. And while I think that's true, I see WM as a lead-up to A Thousand Leaves.

Nurse, though great, will never make a list of mine, because I believe "Dude Ranch Nurse" should have been a b-side. It would have been a fun track on Destroyed Room, but on Nurse it just serves to interrupt and confound. Funnily enough it was my favorite track when I first heard the album. Now I skip it every time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2012, 01:30 AM   #65
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I think Sonic greatness has never fallen, it has just become mature in the 2000-decade when they´ve got older. And if they will split, I am of course sad because my favourite band will split, but glad about that they´ve never made any lousy record.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2012, 07:00 PM   #66
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think Sonic greatness has never fallen, it has just become mature in the 2000-decade when they´ve got older. And if they will split, I am of course sad because my favourite band will split, but glad about that they´ve never made any lousy record.

I never said that their greatness fell, they've always been great and always will be. It is just that their absolute strongest period, I feel, was between 1986 and 1992. It doesn't really have anything to do with them, they did nothing wrong. It is just the time period. Music in general just went downhill in 1994. Though I do love Experimental Jet Set, it was a big step down from Dirty.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2012, 08:38 AM   #67
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
My list...

1. Daydream Nation
2. Sister
3. Dirty
4. EVOL
5. Washing Machine

Honorable Mention: Murray Street
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2012, 01:03 PM   #68
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I never said that their greatness fell, they've always been great and always will be. It is just that their absolute strongest period, I feel, was between 1986 and 1992. It doesn't really have anything to do with them, they did nothing wrong. It is just the time period. Music in general just went downhill in 1994. Though I do love Experimental Jet Set, it was a big step down from Dirty.
I was also very disappointed to Experimental at first when I heard it after Dirty. But after that came Washing Machine and I immeadiately knew I got my old great band back. And same experience has been after ATL, Murray Street, Nurse, Rather Ripped and Eternal. About general music downhill going I think it happened already in the middle of seventies. But there have been some very great albums also in 2000-decade (like those SY-records).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 10:41 AM   #69
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Changes all the time but right now:

Confusion is Sex
Sister
Bad Moon Rising
Evol
Daydream Nation
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 11:15 AM   #70
frades
children of satan

frades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's asses
1. experimental, jet set, trash and no star
2. a thousand leaves
3. Goo
4. sonic nurse
5. the eternal
frades is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 12:25 PM   #71
Sonic Al
little trouble girl

Sonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's assesSonic Al kicks all y'all's asses
1. Daydream Nation
2. The Eternal
3. Sister
4. EVOL
5. Murray Street
Sonic Al is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 01:29 PM   #72
lalalalies
empty page

lalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asseslalalalies kicks all y'all's asses
Daydream Nation
EVOL
Bad Moon Rising
Sister
The Eternal
lalalalies is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 02:36 PM   #73
Lazewski
little trouble girl

Lazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's assesLazewski kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Nurse.
Sister.
Dirty.
Evol.
Bad Moon Rising.

Lazewski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 04:26 PM   #74
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
A Thousand Leaves --this album is just untouchable once you GET it
Sister -- just rocks!
Bad Moon Rising --i think this defined the SY sound more than any other record
Sonic Nurse --beautiful production and i love the 3 guitars + JIM
NYC Ghosts --yeah, i went there
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 04:43 PM   #75
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah. People who say NYC Ghosts + Flowers are pretty ballsy.

butt fuck it, more power to 'em.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 07:41 PM   #76
canabero
children of satan

canabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard sucka
a thousand leaves
confusion is sex/ kill yr idols
bad moon rising
sister
nyc ghost & flowers

www.myspace.com/canabero
canabero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2012, 11:51 AM   #77
boxofburton
empty page

boxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's assesboxofburton kicks all y'all's asses
Daydream Nation
Bad Moon Rising
Evol
Sister
Murray Street
boxofburton is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth