Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Glenn Branca/LOS ANGELES/5/29/2006
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2006, 07:05 PM   #1
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Glenn Branca and his 80 guitars, 20 bass's and drummer will be performing this Wed. at the Walt Disney Theatre in Los Angeles. Tickets are 10 dollars and some great seats are available right now. Go to http://www.glennbranca.com and take it from there.
Along the same lines I have an interview set up for after the concert with Mr. Branca, now I'm not asking for someone to do my work for me. But if anyone that reads this has any questions they feel needed to be answered post em, I might pose them. I'll post the interview in a upcoming post. Cheers and gold chandeliers.
SD.

PS. THE SUBJECT DATE SHOULD read 3/29/2006
its March not May hey hey hey
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 07:49 PM   #2
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Wow....10 bucks. That's great.
Old 03.27.2006, 07:50 PM   #3
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I'll be there.
Old 03.27.2006, 08:32 PM   #4
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
really, have you been to the space before? Its built for an orchestra so it should be good sound but I've never seen this piece performed indoors before so who knows maybe the roof will collapse under the intensiy. You know Mike Watt will be on bass (1 of 20)?
Old 03.27.2006, 09:11 PM   #5
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
really, have you been to the space before? Its built for an orchestra so it should be good sound but I've never seen this piece performed indoors before so who knows maybe the roof will collapse under the intensiy. You know Mike Watt will be on bass (1 of 20)?

No, I've never been there before. To tell you the truth, I don't even know where the Walt Disney Theatre is located. See, I live in San Diego and a couple friends and I decided we would drive to L.A. to see this show when we heard about it.

I've never seen this piece before period, and I'm a bit more worried about my ear drums collapsing than the roof.

Yeah, I heard Mike will be on bass. That's cool, I love the Minutemen. So Glenn Branca will be there in person? I saw that he would be the director, not the conductor. Not sure what that means.
Old 03.27.2006, 09:32 PM   #6
the destroyed room

I don't see why he wouldnt be at the show. He'll be in town.
Summer of '01 this piece was performed (i'm guessing its the same orchestration I imagine its difficult to write several pieces for 100 guitars) at the base of the World Trade Center. It was great, summer sun afternoon and bunches of friends were around and lots of normals were stunned at the sound. My friends and I joked that the sound was powerful enough to bring down the towers. It really sounded like a swarm of bees and it was very visual, well visual if you like checking out guitars. That's normal right? Checking out guitars? Outside the volume was tolerable but inside? Hmmm I'm hoping for VOLUME.
You live in San Diego? I was there last last weekend. Is it true that no one is actually from there? Everyone a transplant?
Old 03.28.2006, 12:24 PM   #7
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
I don't see why he wouldnt be at the show. He'll be in town.
Summer of '01 this piece was performed (i'm guessing its the same orchestration I imagine its difficult to write several pieces for 100 guitars) at the base of the World Trade Center. It was great, summer sun afternoon and bunches of friends were around and lots of normals were stunned at the sound. My friends and I joked that the sound was powerful enough to bring down the towers. It really sounded like a swarm of bees and it was very visual, well visual if you like checking out guitars. That's normal right? Checking out guitars? Outside the volume was tolerable but inside? Hmmm I'm hoping for VOLUME.
You live in San Diego? I was there last last weekend. Is it true that no one is actually from there? Everyone a transplant?

Sounds awesome. I can't wait.

Yeah, I think most San Diegans are transplants because it's a military town. Personally, I was born here, but since my dad was in the navy we left before my first birthday and moved to several locations before returning when I was 5 or 6.
Old 03.29.2006, 02:36 AM   #8
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
It's tonight and I would love to go to this... you are very lucky in America... being stuck here in London it's a no go for me... I saw Glenn play in London in 2001 supporting SY on the Goodbye Twentieth Century tour so I can't really complain... but it would be sweet to witness his 80 guitars, 20 bass's and 1 drummer... someone please post a report!.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2006, 10:08 AM   #9
the destroyed room

Very overwhelming last night. John Myers conducted, Branca in the wings. 4 Seperate pieces around 1hr in total time. Mike Watt in Flannel and an impressive Virgil Moorefield behind the drum kit.
The Concert Hall was modern and sleek with 360 degree seating. All for now.
Old 03.30.2006, 10:23 PM   #10
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

It was great, I loved it. Even with my seat looking down over the orchestra, the sheer volume of it was intense. My ears are still throbbing. I remember this kind of interplay or counterpoint thing happening between the different parts of the guitar orchestra, this wall of sound just building and buildiing to a climax. Branca popped out after the performance was over to congratualte John and some of the players. So I got to see Gleen Branca in the flesh for about 2 minutes. Cool.

And if that wasn't enough, I got to shake hands with Mike Watt who I saw afterwards in the parking garage. I told him how I was watching him during the performance and he was constantly shaking his legs, acting like he could hardly sit still. It looked like he just wanted to stand up and start jumping around the stage.
Old 03.30.2006, 10:57 PM   #11
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
NICE!
Old 03.31.2006, 05:21 PM   #12
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for that... more details anyone?

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2006, 03:31 PM   #13
the destroyed room

sOmEone already linked the interview but here it is linked a second time.
http://pitchforkmedia.com/interviews/b/branca_glenn-06/

It seems foreverago, better late than dead.
Old 05.01.2006, 04:21 PM   #14
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
HALLUCINATION CITY!!!!

i wish i could see it. anyone got a recording?

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth