Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Nirvana Thingy
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.06.2008, 07:47 AM   #1
DON
empty page

DON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly, I never liked the music of Nirvana in any way.
Even before I started listening to SY, i already knew and hated Nirvana!
Once, as a 15 year-old teenager, I bought myself a Nirvana best-of CD and an album by The Smashing Pumpkins at the same time.
And while I felt myself more and more falling in love with the pumpkins-album (it was Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness, i think) i disliked the Nirvana Cd with each more listening. The songs bored me, I couldn't see any ideas or emotions behind them and i didn't like that the band always succeeded in returning to the same chorus in EVERY damned song.
For me Nirvana was (and still is) the worst 90s rockband.
When I stumbled over Sonic Youth years later (and red about their relationship with Nirvana) I tried to give them another chance and bought myself the critically acclaimed Nevermind.
It was a single torture...I forced myself to listen to it 4 times (i really tried to get in some kind of "flow"), but it just felt uninspired and like 12 times "Smells like teenspirit".
I sold it someone at ebay later on.
Yes, i am a big fan of (classic) independent/experimental rock, and I love to listen to bands like Smashing pumpkins, anathema, porcupine tree, jane's addiction, TDB....
But I never ever really got the point of the hype around Nirvana.
Of course, it's a question of personal taste, but what's so magic about Nirvanas boring MTV-pophits???
Old 06.06.2008, 07:48 AM   #2
sarramkrop

Seminal bands thread on the right just down the corridor. Ask reception if you have any problems finding it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 07:54 AM   #3
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
mmm
that's radical
i understand
they were mighty powerful and crazy
i don't ever listen to them anymore, but still
great band
inspired shitloads of other
i'm not sure about the same chorus thing u're claiming.

Have u listened to "In utero"? It's way more varied in that it's true that Nevermind was monolithic in its own way.
I really like both.

nobody HAS TO love Nirvana

They might be a little overrated if u ask me
Old 06.06.2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON
Honestly, I never liked the music of Nirvana in any way.
Even before I started listening to SY, i already knew and hated Nirvana!
Once, as a 15 year-old teenager, I bought myself a Nirvana best-of CD and an album by The Smashing Pumpkins at the same time.
And while I felt myself more and more falling in love with the pumpkins-album (it was Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness, i think) i disliked the Nirvana Cd with each more listening. The songs bored me, I couldn't see any ideas or emotions behind them and i didn't like that the band always succeeded in returning to the same chorus in EVERY damned song.
When I stumbled over Sonic Youth years later (and red about their relationship with Nirvana) I tried to give them another chance and bought myself the critically acclaimed Nevermind.
It was a single torture...I forced myself to listen to it 4 times (i really tried to get in some kind of "flow"), but it just felt uninspired and like 12 times "Smells like teenspirit".
I sold it someone at ebay later on.
Yes, i am a big fan of (classic) independent/experimental rock, and I love to listen to bands like Smashing pumpkins, anathema, porcupine tree, jane's addiction, TDB....
But I never ever really got the point of the hype around Nirvana.
Of course, it's a question of personal taste, but what's so magic about Nirvanas boring MTV-pophits???

nirvana were great but the other bands you mentioned are all shit (aside from porcupine tree, who are OK)
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 08:17 AM   #5
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
at the first time i listened to nevermind i was hooked, same goes with mtv unplugged and in utero.. however eventually they got old on me. now i feel like i've had enough of nirvana for the rest of my life..

btw i think incesticide has their best songs, so maybe you should try that one.
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 08:19 AM   #6
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON

You've clearly never heard Red Hot Chilli Peppers then.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 08:25 AM   #7
DON
empty page

DON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's asses
*lol* of course i heard Red hot chilli peppers and they are anoying, but Nirvana are much worse, i think!
Old 06.06.2008, 08:28 AM   #8
DON
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
nirvana were great but the other bands you mentioned are all shit (aside from porcupine tree, who are OK)
That's radical aswell, i tried to mention well-known bands, and by the way: Porcupine tree are pretty great (even tough there best times were in mid 90s).
Old 06.06.2008, 08:30 AM   #9
sarramkrop

God help you if you think that Nirvana are worse than Red Hot Chilli Shite.

Kidding, if you don't like them you don like them, it's not like you have to force yourself to appreciate their music. If you do that you'll end up mad or on a wheelchair.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 08:31 AM   #10
luisxvi
bad moon rising

luisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked Nirvana a lot when I was younger and occasionally listen to them now. There was too much hype over them and they just imploded but they still were better than Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day etc.
Old 06.06.2008, 08:33 AM   #11
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON
just curious, which one is the best for you?
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 08:37 AM   #12
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
he he
Old 06.06.2008, 08:39 AM   #13
DON
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
You guys will hate me for this but (for personal memories) I'm traped between classic Smashing Pumpkins (from 1987-2000, not that reunion Zeitgeist shit, which I definitly hate) and SY of course...but SY are no "classic 90s rockband", but genious all-around talents.
Old 06.06.2008, 08:48 AM   #14
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, you sound like me some time in the 90's. Stole my brother's Nevermind and Melon Collie. If it wasn't for In Bloom, I probably never would have cared for Nirvana and Melon Collie also was hit or miss on some songs. But then eventually I got into Radiohead and, after that, Dinosaur Jr.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 08:50 AM   #15
DON
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
But then eventually I got into Radiohead and, after that, Dinosaur Jr.
Radiohead were amazing...
And i care more about the more unknown but emotional Pumpkins songs (like Ruby, In my body or Soot and Stars) those pop hits (33, Perfect & bullet with butterfly wings) never really got me, they're kind of flat and boring
Old 06.06.2008, 09:34 AM   #16
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Melon Collie also was hit or miss on some songs.

I'm going to jump in here.

Yes, it was hit and miss- that album shouldn't have been a double album by any means. I like the concept of it, having an album for day and an album for night, and the whole victorian-romantic art and symbolism, but I think the achilles heel is the sheer number of dud tunes.

Don't forget "Lily (My One And Only)", "Tales Of A Scorched Earth" and "To Forgive" though, they are some classic songs regardless of how much Billy Corgan had to do with them.

Anyways, in regards to Nirvana, I'd say Nevermind is their worst album and definitely the album I listened to least. In Utero is infinitely more interesting and is almost bursting at the seams with ideas. Try listening to it.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 09:40 AM   #17
DON
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Anyways, in regards to Nirvana, I'd say Nevermind is their worst album and definitely the album I listened to least. In Utero is infinitely more interesting and is almost bursting at the seams with ideas. Try listening to it.
I've lend In utero from a friend some months ago...it feeld better than Nevermind, but still not very interesting.
I really shouldn't try to force myself to like them; I just want to get what's the point about them.
SY defintly deserved more to be hailed that much by everyone!!!!
But maybe they are to brilliant for the masses...
Old 06.06.2008, 09:45 AM   #18
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i pity radiohead and smashing pumpkins fans
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 09:50 AM   #19
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
what's interesting to me is your feeling that you have to like nirvana and think you have a problem for not liking.

while i like nirvana, i always thought they were ok, i remember watching the video for "come as you are" when i was like 9 and thinking it was a neat song, nothing more nothing less. i still remember when kurt died but it was like "ah, pity".

i like some of their songs ("drain you", "about a girl", "territorial pissings", etc.), i don't think they were that awesome.

they are historically important to the mainstream and underground scenes and probably the last time a single band launched a whole genre to the mainstream, represented it and also filled the archetype of the troubled rocker/disfunctional band/destructive couple in one.

i don't hate nirvana the band or even kurt cobain as much as their fans, the media and certain songs ("smells like teen spirit" and "rape me" chief among them).

not the worse band but not the best band either.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 09:55 AM   #20
sarramkrop

I pity more young people who are still worrying too much about Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr, Radiohead etc when there are so many younger good rock bands putting out records right now. It's not like you shouldn't listen and love the music of whatever band you decide to make your own, it's just that if I was that age I'd prefer to have some peers playing the sort of music I like in a way that I felt was cool and relevant to my present existence.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth