Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Sport
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.06.2009, 02:32 PM   #41
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
and no one, ever, not even stupid fucks, will pay for something they can get for free.

you explain how In_Rainbows sold so many copies online?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2009, 02:34 PM   #42
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
high rennaissance art was PAID FOR by the churches! come ON!

and also, a great deal was actually paid for by wealthy elites, and donated to Churchs in memorium or penance etc etc

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2009, 02:36 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you explain how In_Rainbows sold so many copies online?

most paid near to nothing for it.
Old 10.06.2009, 02:37 PM   #44
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
rennaissance wealthy elite = the catholic church man!
they all were preators or deacons or had their children ordained into the chur ch. it was aall bouts the MONEY and still is.
Old 10.06.2009, 02:38 PM   #45
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

churches fooled everyone into paying for their shit, and you know this. the vatican sits atop a pile of the world's money, much of it pilaged from south and central america. they rule because they have the money to back up their shit. it all feeds the godhead.
Old 10.06.2009, 02:39 PM   #46
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
It's funny when people in the UK talk about America's most popular sports. They're basically macho derivations of UK sports.

Netball = Basketball.
Rounders = Baseball.
Rugby League = American Football.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2009, 02:40 PM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I call religion the true opiate because it is all lies. it is al lies fed to sheep to make them think that they have earned eternal life, that the cares and concerns over this current (and ONLY, in my opinion) world are just a pr4eclude, a segue into eternal life sucking at some deity's teat.

THAT is the true opiate. the fastest growing religion worldwide is pentecostal. a religion that preaches the end times as coming soon, that preaches that life as we live it now is worthles and the real life is the afterlife. this is growing fastest ion the nations that have the most poor the most needy the most people who need actual real help, instead of platitudes and fucking lies, ouright LIES told to them t let the accept theirstate in life.
Old 10.06.2009, 02:42 PM   #48
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
This is true regardless of your career path. In regards to art, as an artist, i both download art and free distribute my own art as best as possible. Art should come first, then the ability to feed and clothe and supply the artists. Let the art shine above the commercialization. If the people like the art, assuredly they will inevitable contribute their money. And if they do not, just them listening to a band and promoting it will inevitably get other people to spend $$$ down the chain. Radiohead especially proved this a reality when they publically gave away In_Rainbows, and yet at the same exact time from the same exact source as the free copies, sold millions of copies! IT WAS COMPLETELY FREE! I paid NOTHING! and yet millions of people spent upwards of $70!

BESIDES, ARTISTS DON'T MAKE SHIT ON RECORD SALES, THEIR MONEY IS TOURS! SUPPORT THE SHOWS! SUPPORT THE MERCH! STEAL THE ALBUM! FUCK THE BOGUS CAPITALIST PROCESS WHICH IS DESTROYING YOUTH CULTURE with the RECORD LABELs

instruments/pedals/studio time/recording costs etc. all cost money. i think that music should be something which is accessible to all - both to create and consume. didn't sonic youth rely on the money of a couple of wealthy scene ppl in nyc to get their stuff recorded at first? not everybody can afford to take out loans. and music should not be hierarchical (with only the stuff that the rich like being produced...the competitive nature of capitalism makes it so that people have to compete to get the $$$ approval of a relatively select few)

also yeah, i'm talking about ppl who download music for free from their favorite artists but dont ever support their tours/merch etc.

anywho, i think that we can all agree that the problem rests in the music industry

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2009, 02:46 PM   #49
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
What's any of this got to do with sport?
Old 10.06.2009, 02:49 PM   #50
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i know they used to for sure...

im also convinced they have plenty money now.

bands that make money should make it by touring....thats where most of the youth's coin comes from. touring. NOT album sales.

I'm also convinced that they have (enough) money...however, the youth seem pretty open about the fact that the record industry has been one giant headache...and that they have had to consciously make some decisions that many of us call "selling out" in order to be able to afford to support their children/pay their bills

also, lots of artists are just trying to cut it even by touring...

Old 10.06.2009, 02:52 PM   #51
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

music being accessible to all does not equal being FREE

if CD's were sold at a reasonable cost, which it is not now, as the markup on a $16.99 CD is around $10.00, it wopuld be fine. a person working a minimum wage job could afford to bvuy two or three CD's a paycheck.
that is the way to go.

giving it away for free accomplishes nothing. people just do not take care of, or truly appreciate, that which they did not have to sacrifice for, wether that is in terms of work, or money, or a trade of some kind.
they just DON'T. the one exception I can think of is in gifts, and even those are easily disposed of or re-gifted by people.

music costs money to make. rehearsal studios cost money. equipment costs money. pressing your own CD-R's to give away at shows costs MONEY.
to ask that someone recompnese you for the LP you are selling them is a small thing.

fuckers who steal and download everything their hard drive can stand can go fuck themselves. they are thieves flat out, outright. they deny this to fiurther their own self-delusion.

while most bands in record contracts do not make money for themselves through record sales, what they DO make money for is t pay their tours off, their advertising, the cost of presing CD's and making t shirts and posters and of paying promoters to make sure the local radio station interviews you when you are in town, etc etc etc. the more a CD makes the more of a chance the band will get a longer contract, and be able to function as a touring act for the next decade or so.

BIZ-NASS.
Old 10.06.2009, 02:52 PM   #52
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Frisbee and Hacky-sac are my favorite 'sports.'

Edit: oh, what? we're talking about piracy now? thats a fun sport too
Old 10.06.2009, 02:54 PM   #53
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
music being accessible to all does not equal being FREE

if CD's were sold at a reasonable cost, which it is not now, as the markup on a $16.99 CD is around $10.00, it wopuld be fine. a person working a minimum wage job could afford to bvuy two or three CD's a paycheck.
that is the way to go.

giving it away for free accomplishes nothing. people just do not take care of, or truly appreciate, that which they did not have to sacrifice for, wether that is in terms of work, or money, or a trade of some kind.
they just DON'T. the one exception I can think of is in gifts, and even those are easily disposed of or re-gifted by people.

music costs money to make. rehearsal studios cost money. equipment costs money. pressing your own CD-R's to give away at shows costs MONEY.
to ask that someone recompnese you for the LP you are selling them is a small thing.

fuckers who steal and download everything their hard drive can stand can go fuck themselves. they are thieves flat out, outright. they deny this to fiurther their own self-delusion.

while most bands in record contracts do not make money for themselves through record sales, what they DO make money for is t pay their tours off, their advertising, the cost of presing CD's and making t shirts and posters and of paying promoters to make sure the local radio station interviews you when you are in town, etc etc etc. the more a CD makes the more of a chance the band will get a longer contract, and be able to function as a touring act for the next decade or so.

BIZ-NASS.

yup. let's not forget how many in the music industry are also thieves. it's total bs that somebody such as patti smith is still in debt...

Old 10.06.2009, 02:56 PM   #54
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Frisbee and Hacky-sac are my favorite 'sports.'

Edit: oh, what? we're talking about piracy now? thats a fun sport too

Do you play conkers in the States?
Old 10.06.2009, 03:06 PM   #55
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Do you play conkers in the States?
No. I've never seen anyone play it, but it sounds fun.

'Mother May I,' anyone?
Old 10.06.2009, 03:19 PM   #56
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
and there really isnt much of a difference between downloading music + listening to it on youtube.

except for that when you listen to it on youtube you don't own it/can't put it on yr ipod...or maybe im incorrect & computer illiterate.

Old 10.06.2009, 03:19 PM   #57
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

I buy music when I can afford it. There, you happy? I'm not talking about sports and games anymore.
Old 10.06.2009, 03:21 PM   #58
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I think music is competitive and it's a sad thing.
The interest in watching athletes lay in that they're better in their category than most human beings. (or faster, stronger etc.)
Some people expect the same from musicians, they want the BEST, objectively.
Satriani, Hendrix, Steve Vai, few people can play like them, therefore they' re the best.
It also apply in classical: there are piano contests, and the winner is the one who plays the fastest, without fawls.
Also in jazz.

In that context, I find The Ramones and The Fall very refreshing.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2009, 03:25 PM   #59
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ahh, but if the contest were to play the most raw shit, the Fall or the Ramones or Unsane would undoubtedly win right?

all human endeavor is competetive, and only thsoe who are coddled or who have never had to work for jack shit in their lives would think otherwise.
Old 10.06.2009, 03:29 PM   #60
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
No. I've never seen anyone play it, but it sounds fun.

'Mother May I,' anyone?

There's a World Conker Championships that's been going for the past 45 years.

http://www.worldconkerchampionships.com/

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth