Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page boring bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.30.2010, 07:03 PM   #121
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I find that Boris bore me a lot now. They never really excited me that much to start with anyway. I like some of their songs a lot but it doesn't justify love. I'm giving away all the records of theirs I own to a charity shop this xmas.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2010, 07:08 PM   #122
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, a lot of that type of stuff bores me now, and has for a while. FLOOD is an amazing album, but that's about it.

Also, Polvo bores me, aside from Celebrate.. and Lifestyles. And even those can be hard to sit through at times. While they are clearly guitar wizards, I just don't find their sound enjoyable to listen to, aside from a few songs, and I think the "weird guitar interplay" thing was done better with TFUL#282, amongst others. I loved them a decade ago, but hadn't listend to them since that new record came out and tried to listen to their stuff a few weeks ago and just didn't find much to enjoy, aside from some interesting riffs here or there. THey basically sound like a more complex Sebadoh or something, but constantly holding down a whammy bar for everything they play. Which is interesting in theory but can be a bit too abrasive at times.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2010, 07:21 PM   #123
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Polvo and Boris are still awe-spiring.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2010, 07:26 PM   #124
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
And Low hate on the previous page. This thread is terrible.
Old 11.30.2010, 07:31 PM   #125
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I don't hate Boris.
Old 11.30.2010, 07:33 PM   #126
Derek
invito al cielo

I know, but Boris and Polvo are the exact opposite of 'boring' I think.
Old 11.30.2010, 07:38 PM   #127
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I've just been listening to both of 'em for a long time now.. Boris for probably 8 or 9 years now (whenever Absolutego came out), Polvo for nearly 10. I still think both bands are just fine (though Polvo really does have some stuff that is hard to listen to -- I also think "Shapes" is a horrible album), just not the type of stuff I'm really into anymore... I also used to listen to tons of math rock, drone, and all sorts of other stuff, and I'm not into a lot of that stuff anymore either. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with those bands/genres, but I am giving away a big chunk of my albums, as I can't see myself wanting to throw in the A Minor Forest discography anytime soon. Plenty of great bands like Slint, Rodan, and Squirrel Bait will stay in my collection though.

Also, even if I LOVED Boris, I could see how someone would be bored by them. Most of their songs don't really do much...

Another band I find boring is Jesu. I love Heartache and Silver, but I'm never listening to them again probably.

Old 11.30.2010, 07:40 PM   #128
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

There isn't a written rule that dictates what should or shouldn't be deemed as boring.
Old 11.30.2010, 07:42 PM   #129
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

As it happens, Polvo always bored me.
Old 11.30.2010, 07:44 PM   #130
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I find MELVINS extremely boring. I think they've got some really well written songs though.

Old 11.30.2010, 07:47 PM   #131
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
As it happens, Polvo always bored me.

See, I can see that, because I think they just kinda sound like any old indie rock band, who just happen to be really really out of tune-sounding. They were a great band for me when I was learning to play guitar, but... I've been really nostalgic for bands lately that I was into many years ago, like Wire, PiL, Gang of Four, Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu, Le Shok... all those bands still hold up pretty well, but Polvo just don't sound that good to me anymore. But, again, even if I loved them to death, I could totally understand how someone would be bored by 'em.... I used to be really interested by Minus the Bear, also, when I was learning to play guitar. I guess I just got bored with a lot of those "weird guitar trick" bands, once I figured them out... But, like, THINKING FELLERS still hold up, since there was a lot more to their sound than the weird guitar shit... King Crimson still hold up to me, too, as far as my guitar heroes go... and so on. Also, as I said on the last page, I love Low, they're "boring" technically but that's what makes 'em great. "Boring" isn't always an insult -- unless the band is trying to be a really dynamic, explosion indie rock band. Some more bands I used to love that I now find boring... Deerhoof, aside from the drumming and some of the songs. I gave sold all their cd's to a pawn shop recently. Polysics. All their songs sound the same, really (and they're another one I've been listening to for so so so long now). XIU XIU... the last few albums were terrible, I find them hard to listen to... a guy yelling over really abrasive noises... I dunno, just don't find it pleasant, too dry and monotone. I can respect all the bands I just mentioned for various reasons, but it just doesn't move me, unlike when I put in a Drexciya album or a Bedhead album or a Tangerine Dream album or something.

Old 11.30.2010, 07:50 PM   #132
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I find that Boris bore me a lot now. They never really excited me that much to start with anyway. I like some of their songs a lot but it doesn't justify love. I'm giving away all the records of theirs I own to a charity shop this xmas.

you can send them here.....

I hitnk boris kicks ass.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2010, 07:52 PM   #133
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Most Boredoms
Most Merzbow
Most of Sonic Youth's newer output
Most Bob Dylan
Most of Thurston's solo output
MV & EE
Most Pavement
Most Modest Mouse
Most Dinosaur Jr
Most Sebadoh
The Decemberists bore the absolute shit out of me
Most Beatles

Really, most bands I hear fall under "boring".

I put most before most of the aforementioned artists because most of them have at least some material I like...
Old 11.30.2010, 07:56 PM   #134
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I mostly agree with all those. I think ALL Modest Mouse except the early stuff (even then, the songs go on too long, always -- they released like 3 double albums in a year! Jesus). ....I hate to say it, but I've ALWAYS liked Boredoms' side projects better -- like Omoide Hatoba. Late period Boredoms is amazing, early stuff is boring. Pavement -- Slanted and before is awesome, the rest is so dull... But yeah, never understood something like Dinosaur Jr to begin with.. it ALWAYS sounded like boring guitar solo stuff to me... don't like his voice at all, either. Ick... And then, that newish band Deer hunter, they sound like the most boring parts of all the bands you just mentioned. Where is that explosion, that excitement of something like BASTRO or RODAN or SWEEP THE LEG JOHNNY or BIG BLACK or countless other great bands from years before? Where are the Captain Beefhearts?!

...I guess the only one I'd disagree with you on is Merzbow, for the most part -- I have nearly 100 albums by him and I actually find most of em pretty exciting (though they do drag). He just did that 13 Japanese Birds thing that blew me away, honestly.... I also listen to Jandek more than most bands, even though people probably find him boring as hell. But I find his stuff interesting... I guess that's why I mainly listen to wonky, I kinda just got bored with all the "indie rock heroes" of the past 2 decades for the most part.

Old 11.30.2010, 08:23 PM   #135
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I can appreciate someone like Merzbow, and I like some of his stuff (Merzbeat is my favorite)...but with so much output I highly doubt much is going into each individual release. Thus, I find most of it boring. He certainly talks more about quantity than he does quality. I don't dig that, no matter how influential he may be. I forget how many thousands of albums he hopes to do before he calls it quits....but really, why not just a few really good ones? I get it, I just don't relate.

I dig Dinosaur, aside from the fact that most of their material (or should I say J.'s material...) goes in the same exact direction. Sloppy Asheton meets metal soloing over whiney/slacker vocals (and I DO like J.'s vocals). I just don't want to hear the same thing from album to album...kinda like with the Ramones. The Ramones were great, but really, if you've heard the first three albums, you've more or less heard everything.

Deer Hunter used to be good. I caught some of their earlier shows (saw 'em open for Afrirampo once, fantastic show). I liked their avant-garage meets Joy Division sound...and while I can appreciate them moving away from that (evolution is always good), the newer ambient/drone/shit-gaze/what-the-fuck-ever doesn't do much for me. There's just so much of that going on already. I thought they sounded pretty neat + unique as a rock band...definitely not something easy to pull off.

Modest Mouse...kinda the same thing as Dinosaur. I liked some of their earlier stuff (esp. "The Fruit That Ate Itself"), and a few other random tunes...but for the most part it's been the same thing over and over. And most aspects of them I do like, I already got out of the Meat Puppets and Pixies ages before I was exposed to Modest Mouse (roughly nine years ago). (and oh, I should have added "Most Pixies" to my list as well...some of the worst albums I've ever been forced to sit through, and damned sure one of the worst shows I've ever had the misfortune of attending).
Old 11.30.2010, 08:35 PM   #136
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
i'll kindly accept any and all boris albums if anyone's bored with 'em.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2010, 08:38 PM   #137
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Once upon a time I couldn't stand Boris...they've grown on me though. I find myself listening to Heavy Friends on repeat for hours on end sometimes.
Old 11.30.2010, 08:40 PM   #138
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
i've only been listening to them for three years and have seen them five times since "smile" came out. i just can't imagine ever getting bored of them.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2010, 08:43 PM   #139
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
fugazi
guided by voices (never liked them anyway)
melvins
sebadoh
sonic youth in the last few years
pavement

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2010, 09:03 PM   #140
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yeah ive never really understood why they are as popular as they are

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth