Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page A Public Apology
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.02.2006, 04:07 PM   #1
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I would like to publicly appolagize for the amount of bad reviews I have given Sonic Youth's yet to be released album "Rather Ripped". When I first listened to it, I could barely listen to a full song. Reena just kinda dissapointed me, and still does. It's a decent song. But not very great. But after a few tracks in, I really discovered that the album is pretty good. Very good infact. Not as good as Sonic Nurse in my opinion, but a worthy follow up.
It still has it's share of flaws. But thats ok. I made assumptions of the whole album based on a few of the first tracks which, while catchy, have some compositional issues that displease me. The second half of the album is much more adventurous. I shouldn't have been so quick to judge. It really has left me feeling bad about the things I have said to other members on this board about their opinions on the album and to the band members themselves.
So......sorry.

Mea culpa.

I'm not looking for any responses to this thread. I am just making an apology.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 04:16 PM   #2
spiritbears
bad moon rising

spiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-festspiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
personally...I don't care if they made a shitty album..... I love them....all the time..
Old 06.02.2006, 04:37 PM   #3
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Ya see, thats the thing, they didnt make a shitty album. I was just being hyper-critical without any reason other than my own laziness.
Old 06.02.2006, 04:41 PM   #4
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses

Old 06.02.2006, 04:43 PM   #5
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I would like to publicly appolagize for the amount of bad reviews I have given Sonic Youth's yet to be released album "Rather Ripped". When I first listened to it, I could barely listen to a full song. Reena just kinda dissapointed me, and still does. It's a decent song. But not very great. But after a few tracks in, I really discovered that the album is pretty good. Very good infact. Not as good as Sonic Nurse in my opinion, but a worthy follow up.
It still has it's share of flaws. But thats ok. I made assumptions of the whole album based on a few of the first tracks which, while catchy, have some compositional issues that displease me. The second half of the album is much more adventurous. I shouldn't have been so quick to judge. It really has left me feeling bad about the things I have said to other members on this board about their opinions on the album and to the band members themselves.
So......sorry.

Mea culpa.

I'm not looking for any responses to this thread. I am just making an apology.
You don't need to bother honey.Most SY board memebers are illiterate like me.So they can't probably read your reviews.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 07:10 PM   #6
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

I just felt like I was being a jackass. Just wanted to set the cosmic order right.
Old 06.02.2006, 08:33 PM   #7
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
i was the same, i posted my initial disappointed impressions... the album has since grown on me somewhat... but... be honest... this has to be among the weakest SY releases ever... don't you think? this hits me the hardest when I hear Nurse material... I recall how good the last two LPs were and what a relative anticlimax this one is... I guess I would feel very much the same if I had heard Goo on its day of release, comparing it to Sister and Daydream Nation... even though Goo is a good album in its own right... you dig?
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2006, 11:37 AM   #8
eastjesus
empty page

eastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asseseastjesus kicks all y'all's asses
this thread sucks big time.
eastjesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2006, 04:32 PM   #9
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastjesus
this thread sucks big time.
Then don't post here.........bitch.
Old 06.03.2006, 04:34 PM   #10
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
i was the same, i posted my initial disappointed impressions... the album has since grown on me somewhat... but... be honest... this has to be among the weakest SY releases ever... don't you think? this hits me the hardest when I hear Nurse material... I recall how good the last two LPs were and what a relative anticlimax this one is... I guess I would feel very much the same if I had heard Goo on its day of release, comparing it to Sister and Daydream Nation... even though Goo is a good album in its own right... you dig?

Yeah, I agree. The album has really grown on me too. I think what my problem was is that I was expecting the album to be in the same vein as Sonic Nurse. I was even expecting the album to be better than Sonic Nurse. In that sense, it is a dissapointment. But the album still has a lot to offer. It's just not what I was expecting.
Old 06.04.2006, 02:13 PM   #11
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The Kinks - Flash's Confession by Ray Davies from Preservation Act 2

I've just had a dream that I never will forget.
And I wish I could erase.
I was standing on the street with a whole crowd of people
And no one knew my name.
And I was just another face
No one looked at me or touched me
Spoke to or acknowledged me.
I had no identity or individuality
No thoughts of my own, no mind or personality.
I was just a no one, a total nonentity
I'm just a number waiting to be called.
It is time for confessing it all,
I'm just another face,
Yes, it's time for confessing it all.

Been a cheat, been a crook,
Never gave I always took.
Crushed people to acquire
Anything that I desired.
Been deceitful and a liar
Now I'm facing Hell Fire.
I can't believe that my time has come
For confessing all the evil
And the wrong that I've done.
The reckoning's come
And now I'm just a no one.
I confess to the timid and the meek
To the cripples and the beggars
And the tramps in the street.
I confess my cruelty, my ego and conceit.
I've opened up my body and looked inside
And I'm everything that I once despised.
I confess for the thieves,
The affected and deranged,
I confess for the muggers and incurably insane.
I confess to the ugly for being vain,
I confess to those I hurt for causing them pain.
I'm just a number
Waiting to be called
And it's time for confessing it all,
And I'm just another face,
And it is time for confessing it all,
Yes, it's time for confessing it all,
Yes, it's time for confessing it all.

This'll come off as rather arbritrary, but:
You don't even have to be able to write a song this good (who here could even hope to do so?) but you must own each Preservation album or have at least heard of them to be able to justify that you can criticize anything musical.

How many people here other than myself own Preservation Act 1 & 2?

one, maybe two?
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth