Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Odd Future
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.28.2010, 08:02 PM   #1
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus. Are any of you guys into this stuff? Just got introduced by a friend, and damn if it isn't sounding absolutely stunning to me right now. They're near impossible to find out much about (I mean THIS is their site), but as far as I can work out, they're a collective of Los Angeles (I think?) rappers, but they're all like 17-18, and yet genuinely, in a totally non-'aw, look at the ickle kiddies saying naughty words' kind of way, are making some of the most exiting and original but UTTERLY messed up new hip-hop I've heard in forever.

As I said, I've only just started listening, which usually makes me not want to post a thread, because I do sometimes have a massive but short lived liking for stuff that I then realise is shit, and don't want to run on here claiming this generation's Wu have arrived or anything, but as it stands my mind is well and truly blown.

Describing music in words always ends up as a mess, but the nearest I can get is something like 'Some teenagers equal parts into southern rap and vintage MF Doom decided to a modern update of Gravediggaz, and then Flying Lotus and Odd Nosdam did a load of remixes on the worst day of their respective lives', but that doesn't come close. More creatively, one blog I read wrote about the kind of semi-head of the group:

'Imagine, if you will, that in some parallel dimension, Zev Love X and the bastard female offspring of satan had a child together. Now, lets say that this same daughter of satan happens to be one of the hoes in N.E.R.D‘s “Lapdance” video, and that she leaves the little dude on the set upon finishing her scene. Then, when he gets old enough, he goes to his father only to find out that he’s changed his name to DOOM, he’s one of the most respected MC’s in the world, and wants nothing to do with the little shit. This little shit in our dimension would probably parallel Tyler, The Creator'

This is the track that got my attention (warning, NSFW/HORRIBLE), and somewhere between there, downloading a load of their stuff, and the first track on Tyler's album 'Bastard' (which is one of the best full releases I've yet heard by them), or Earl rapping about his mum getting him out of bed (and calling him a faggot) in the most horrible terms possible, I became totally hooked. I don't know, maybe I've just totally flipped and it's not all that great. I know I've hyped this a lot and thrown some big comparisons around. But for some reason the more I listen to this stuff the more it sounds kind of like when I first heard Anticon, in terms of just being totally out of left field and fantastic. It's also kind of very retarded at times, in a totally genuine teenage way. It's hip-hop Jim, but not as we know it...

Have I gone crazy? Feedback people.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
This is the track that got my attention (warning, NSFW/HORRIBLE)

Death Valley 2010.

Neat.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2010, 08:38 PM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'll have to check them out Earl. If you have any mixtapes or whatever PM me... I dont' like to get into something new based on stray tracks. I like hearing a full length.
Old 07.29.2010, 03:26 AM   #4
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
This Tyler, The Creator LP is really, really good. This is a goddamn 17 year old who makes all his own beats. I mean I know he's far from the first teenage prodigy in rap, but damn, if he keeps getting better...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 10.14.2010, 08:15 PM   #5
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

So I'm fully aware how bad form it is to necrophiliac your own thread which got like 2 responses the first time, but can I just say that 'I'm going harder than a midget jumping over me/chronic youth, I'm shoving blunt wraps in bitches ovaries'. That was pretty much it.

EDIT: Oh, and to point out that they got in The Wire, but I missed it. Anyone get that issue?
Old 10.16.2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Good shit. Thanks! I was wondering what the hell that EARL album you posted in "What are you listening to?" was.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2010, 03:46 PM   #7
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, this is good. i get why you revived the thread. worthy of being spread.

but don't ever use the phrase "this generations xxxx" because it makes you sound like a retard journo who should never be listened to, and should in fact be robbed.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2010, 06:35 PM   #8
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Noted.

Did you hear the 'Rolling Papers' album? 'Earl' is still my favourite, and 'Bastard' is close behind it, but this is among the best stuff they've done. Just beyond any imaginable level of stoned. The whole album is kind of a concept album, beginning with his smoke of the day, and then ending up totally wrecked, with a few detours, which sounds like it could be super dull, but is actually really very well done. There's this track about trying to buy some food while utterly baked ('Super Market'), which is one of the best explicitly stoner rap things I've heard in ages. Makes a nice contrast with the full on violence/rape of most of the other main projects...
Old 04.13.2011, 12:42 AM   #9
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses
GOLF WANG
Old 04.13.2011, 08:08 AM   #10
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
GOLF WANG

1. where you been son??????????????????????????
2. we have another OF thread that's been more alive than this one
Old 04.14.2011, 01:03 AM   #11
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
viewtiful alan acting like we aren't already on that of tip. nigga please. based god spoke to me and told me to download earl.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth