Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.01.2017, 07:50 PM   #20341
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51
It is quite divisive. The first half of the film is so utterly weird- full of exquisitely framed images, harsh lighting (with strobe effects) and to top it off, every word from every actress is mumbled in this half-druggy state of awareness. It's hard to make sense of it and then, yes, it does turn into a bit of a horror film whose second half doesn't quite live up to the first. You have to give Refn credit for trying something bold, though. He seems to be one of the few out there given green lights for stuff and then experimenting heavily to see how far he can push it.

Ok, I want to see it now. Thank you.

I remember, when Only God Forgives first premiered on the festival circuit, reading a review that said it was the most polarizing film the reviewer (I forget his/her name) had ever seen. That at the end, about half of those who hadn't walked out booed furiously, and and the other half literally stood and cheered.

I'll admit that while I was watching it, I felt as though I'd been baited and fucked with by Refn. He follows up Drive (already a pretty divisive film, but a huge hit with critics and a cult smasharoo) with another stylized Gosling flick, which he says is about a man who "wants to fight God." Sounded like another anti-hero flick. What did he give us? An unlikable weakling -- the embodiment of physical impotence, some weird ass Oedipal shit, and one long anti-climax extending over 2½ hours. I still respected it, liked it even, but damn.

Now I'm hearing that Neon Demon makes Only God Forgives look accessible.

I will watch, with caution, based on your recommendation. I do respect Refn as a filmmaker and I want him to be able to continue pushing buttons, but I'm more intrigued by how much he seems to be trying to get me to NOT watch than I am genuinely interested in watching.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2017, 10:36 PM   #20342
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Krampus was horrible.
Old 01.01.2017, 11:28 PM   #20343
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

It was. But that image I posted is badass. Fact.

If the movie had been anything like what I thought it was going to be based on seeing that, it would have been legit.

Also I just watched DEADPOOL again.

Before that, Barry (the Netflix movie about Obama's time at Columbia.
Old 01.01.2017, 11:59 PM   #20344
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Deadpool is fucking amazing.
Old 01.02.2017, 07:50 AM   #20345
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
my last movie of 2016

criterion just put out a new blu-ray release, and it's fucking glorious. what is it about fellini that has such potent magic?

reminded me at the same time of amarcord and satyricon, but it was something completely different-- documentary, satire, memoir, political commentary, all at the same time. spectacular visuals of course.

brilliant features on the disc as well (interview w/ the guy who did the great beauty, etc)

Roma always disappoints me a bit. Given the subject matter it should've been the ultimate Fellini film (and it does have some of his greatest scenes) but it never quite holds together for me in the way that his best films do. Not saying I don't like it, I just wish it was better.

Anyway ...

Anger Me

A documentary about Kenneth Anger. Mostly him talking through his life and films. Not a great documentary in its own right but a must for any Anger or Underground film fans.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2017, 10:48 AM   #20346
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Roma always disappoints me a bit. Given the subject matter it should've been the ultimate Fellini film (and it does have some of his greatest scenes) but it never quite holds together for me in the way that his best films do. Not saying I don't like it, I just wish it was better.

you're right that as a whole it lacks a glue, it's a bunch of moments pieced together, but some of those moments are so amazing! the people eating in the trattoria, the arrival by modern highway, the wartime brothels, the subway tunnel scene, the fashion show, the motorcycles (speaking of anger)... oh man... the variety show was a bit too long for me, but the social interactions that happen in it are great (and it reminds me of altman's usual chaos). but yeah, as a memoir for example, amarcord is better. still, fellini fails better than 99% of other filmmakers succeed, so it's kind of a contest with himself at that point (for me anyway--i'm a huge fan).

the other thing is that here he has such tremendous creative freedom! maybe it's the excess freedom that makes it fall apart a bit, but the freedom itself is amazing to witness. things like his own role in the film are not surprising in out post-python super-meta age, but when he's interrogated by the students and he decides to do the variety show instead ("i'll do it my way")... that-- did something to me. it's the vision of the poet over the ideologist.

i'll check out the anger movie. that still looks great!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2017, 09:16 PM   #20347
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
my last movie of 2016

criterion just put out a new blu-ray release, and it's fucking glorious. what is it about fellini that has such potent magic?

reminded me at the same time of amarcord and satyricon, but it was something completely different-- documentary, satire, memoir, political commentary, all at the same time. spectacular visuals of course.

brilliant features on the disc as well (interview w/ the guy who did the great beauty, etc)

Cant wait to see this one. I got the Satryicon blu ray for Xmas. Fellini is truly a master and the transfer is unbelievable. Very happy criterion is taking a crack at his mid-period works where he had all the freedom he wanted.

Kicked off the new year with two new ones for me!

June Night with Ingrid Bergman. Blind bought this with no reference. It was her last Swedish film before moving to Hollywood and of course she is an angel. It is an okay movie itself but for a blind buy I didn't expect much from I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of her many roles of playing a mysteriously detached but passionate woman. The DVD I got though had some hilarious dubbing they must of added? The music is obviously not from 1940 and some foley is way too crisp and high in the mix.

One Eyed Jacks. Damn. Shouldn't work but it does. I'm on a bit of a Brando kick and this is one I hadn't seen. Plus westerns are a go-to genre for me and this more than satisfied an itch. Absolutely gorgeous in parts and of course Brando is a mad man. Would have loved to see more directors by him, though maybe he got lucky wth how good this one is? Very very highly recommended. Great performances all around too, not just the almighty Marlon. Got a sealed blu ray copy for $10 at a used book store too!
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2017, 03:56 AM   #20348
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Nosferatu

For me it's still the greatest, if the most atypical, 'dracula' film of them all. A masterclass in eeriness.
Old 01.03.2017, 11:38 AM   #20349
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Nosferatu

For me it's still the greatest, if the most atypical, 'dracula' film of them all. A masterclass in eeriness.

Oh man, it's so goddamn good.
Old 01.03.2017, 11:54 AM   #20350
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Nosferatu

i was meaning to rewatch it this past halloween season. now i'm in the middle of the farces.
speaking of farces (voluntary or involuntary ones) have you seen SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE? it's about the making of nosferatu. some indie/malkovich thing. i did, didn't like it much, though some people might. don't wanna throw spoilers yet so i won't comment why in this post (maybe in another one i might)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Cant wait to see this one. I got the Satryicon blu ray for Xmas. Fellini is truly a master and the transfer is unbelievable. Very happy criterion is taking a crack at his mid-period works where he had all the freedom he wanted.

Kicked off the new year with two new ones for me!

i got the rentals-- netflix is great for that. i got it like the day after it was released & held on to it for a proper occasion.

as for the transfers--- it's this place in bologna called "l'immagine ritrovatta" that's doing amazing work with these films. like, seriously madly great. they're my cultural heroes for 2016. the image quality in the roma bluray is simply spectacular. THAT FASHION SHOW. will haunt your dreams.

i'm making a note of your other movies to watch later in the year. i'm focused on farces and satires at the moment, due to some lunatic seasonal scheme i've adopted. yeah...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2017, 12:18 PM   #20351
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
!@#$%! - I highly recommend One-Eyed Jacks. I remember years ago I watched The Wild Bunch due to yr discussion about it in this thread and it is like a bridge point between something like the romantic westerns of the 40s and 50s to The Wild Bunch.... but with the madness of Brando.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2017, 12:59 PM   #20352
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
speaking of farces (voluntary or involuntary ones) have you seen SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE? it's about the making of nosferatu. some indie/malkovich thing. i did, didn't like it much, though some people might. don't wanna throw spoilers yet so i won't comment why in this post (maybe in another one i might)

I haven't, but I've always wanted to. Straight on the to-watch list.
Old 01.03.2017, 01:03 PM   #20353
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
i was meaning to rewatch it this past halloween season. now i'm in the middle of the farces.

I saw it way back when but don't recall much. I remember hearing great things about Malcovic's performance, but to me it didn't measure up to Martin Landau's morphine-addicted Bela Lugosi from Ed Wood. I'm sure the films have almost nothing in common and my comparison was trivial, but that's how I felt at the time.
Old 01.04.2017, 03:51 AM   #20354
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Haven't seen the movie, but what's the deal with the "Krampus" idea being pushed as some sort of new anti-Christmas holiday? Perhaps because it was our own holidays last week, the idea seemed to get lots of publicity from stories I heard both on TV and a long segment on "Coast to Coast" radio about these Krampus festivals in Europe where everyone dresses up and marches in costume. And now they've started several here in the U.S. The fuck is up with people?
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2017, 07:35 AM   #20355
demonrail666
invito al cielo

There's a big article in this month's Fortean Times. Krampus is obviously the new 'bad clown'.

Anyway, just watched Alien v Predator 1 & 2

I quite enjoyed the 1st one, mainly for its back story, but ended up barely able to finish the 2nd one.
Old 01.04.2017, 08:08 AM   #20356
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I actually preferred the second AvP haha. Oh well. Are you going to watch Predators next? I loved that one... but I don't think that necessarily means you will.
Old 01.04.2017, 11:27 AM   #20357
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I never liked any of the Predator films. I've never been that into the Predator itself. The alien in the Alien films was always more interesting to me and was my only real incentive to watch the AvP films. Problem is I just wanted the aliens to win: against the predators in AvP1 and everyone in AvP2.

It'd be cool if they did a Planet of the Apes style Alien film, where the aliens have completely taken over.
Old 01.04.2017, 11:52 AM   #20358
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
There's a big article in this month's Fortean Times. Krampus is obviously the new 'bad clown'.

Anyway, just watched Alien v Predator 1 & 2

I quite enjoyed the 1st one, mainly for its back story, but ended up barely able to finish the 2nd one.

Wait, there's a second Alien vs. Predator movie?!

Sweet merciful Christ.
Old 01.04.2017, 12:12 PM   #20359
Severian
invito al cielo

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

6.5/10 I guess.

Y'know, it's Star Wars, and there was nothing BAD about it. It was well made, so overall it was definitely worth seeing. But there was something missing that made it feel sort of detatched and dragging. I noticed this almost immediately and spent a lot of the movie trying to zero in on exactly what that missing piece was. I came up with some thoughts:

First, I think the absence of a John Williams score had a much bigger impact on the way this movie felt than anyone would have guessed. I've actually always considered his SW score to be overrated. But, like, when the "Long ago, in a galaxy far away" line appeared on screen, it felt REALLY WEIRD to not have that music kick in, accompanied by the vertical scrolling expository text! It was like the whole theatre was ready and raring to go, and then... bloop, we're on this planet. This had an actual physical effect on me, making my stomach sink a little. So I guess the Williams music really is an extremely important thread for the series, and it as more variation than I give it credit for. I missed it.

Also, this really wasn't a character-driven story at all. Star Wars has always been about these huge characters... what's next for them, what they are to each other. This one played out more like military science fiction (which I respect), but in that respect, I can see how it disappointed some people.

I appreciated the story. They built an entire stand-alone film based on one stupid inexplicable plothole in the original Star Wars. Rogue One presented a backstory for it and "explained" it in a way that at least kind of made sense.

But honestly I felt that it was a bit dark. Not in tone necessarily, but.. like.. visually. It was hard to see at times, kind of an eye strain. I got tired. Zap zap boom! Ugh. All of the Star Trek reboots have held my interest straight through, and The Force Awakens kept me glued to the screen. This one, not so much. Makes me nervous about future standalone films. I don't care about young Han Solo. I think they could easily overdo it with too much of this kind of thing.

One thing that was GREAT about it was Darth Vader. Not to spoil anything, but he's only in it for a few moments, but they make those moments count big time. They finally have the technology to show Vader as the ominous, unstoppable, badass motherfucker that he was always supposed to be.
It's probably (hopefully) the last time we'll ever see him in a movie, but MAN did he go out on a high note. Best Vader scene ever.

Overall, it wasn't terrible, but it was no Force Awakens. I don't feel any need to rewatch it, but I'm glad I went.

Still made me think of how much we Whovians are getting the shaft from Hollywood. One episode in the past year, no movies. I'd freaking kill to have just ONE big, well-made Doctor Who movie. Just one. This is the TENTH Star Wars movie (if you count the Ewok abortions, which you kinda have to). It pisses me off from time to time, thinking about it.
Old 01.04.2017, 12:22 PM   #20360
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
I never liked any of the Predator films. I've never been that into the Predator itself. The alien in the Alien films was always more interesting to me and was my only real incentive to watch the AvP films. Problem is I just wanted the aliens to win: against the predators in AvP1 and everyone in AvP2.

It'd be cool if they did a Planet of the Apes style Alien film, where the aliens have completely taken over.

fair enough. I love both franchises, but definitely prefer Alien stuff. Are you going to watch Prometheus now? Or did you already? I Feel like you did. I'm getting confused now.
5189189681008101510161017 1018 101910201021102810681118 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth