Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Recommendations
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.07.2008, 06:50 AM   #1
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I'm going music shopping tomorrow, and I haven't got any specific albums to buy. I want something metal, preferably black metal (the only BM I know is Mayhem and Darkthrone), and I've only got enough money for one album (or two cheap ones), so please keep you recommendations short.
Thanks on advance.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 06:58 AM   #2
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
When you're not at your local town meeting, take the time to check out Melvins - Stoner Witch
Old 06.07.2008, 07:08 AM   #3
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I don't think there'll be any town meetings/riots for a while because the council voted no to the Islamic school, so I'll have time to check that out.
Old 06.07.2008, 07:14 AM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
If you're looking to get some more BM, maybe try Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse. An absolute masterpiece.

Aside from that one, some BM must haves are, IMO

Mayhem, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Burzum, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

Darkthrone, A Blaze in the Northern Skies

Immortal, Pure Holocaust

Also, if you can ever find it, Graveland's Carpathian Wolves album is quite incredible.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 07:31 AM   #5
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
I don't think there'll be any town meetings/riots for a while because the council voted no to the Islamic school, so I'll have time to check that out.
Haha yeah lol @ bogans.

I've gotta say that it's a bit of a silly place for such a school. Given that those areas of outer Sydney are generally exclusively white trash. I'd be concerned about the safety of the kids if the school was built, I can imagine some white guys in a v8 Commodore throwing shit at the students as they drive by, obnoxiously yelling something like "We grew here, you flew here".
Old 06.07.2008, 07:41 AM   #6
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Graveland's Carpathian Wolves:

http://rs77.rapidshare.com/files/543...28_Kbps_.ra r
Old 06.07.2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Haha yeah lol @ bogans.

I've gotta say that it's a bit of a silly place for such a school. Given that those areas of outer Sydney are generally exclusively white trash. I'd be concerned about the safety of the kids if the school was built, I can imagine some white guys in a v8 Commodore throwing shit at the students as they drive by, obnoxiously yelling something like "We grew here, you flew here".
Yeah, that's the argument all the intelligent people had if they were against the school. Ignorant people would say things like "Keep Australia Australian, and keep where ever Muslims come from Muslim!" and we'd get pamphlets in the mail about how the group planning to build the school are similar to the group responsible for the September 11 attacks, so Camden was definitely going to get bombed if we allowed the school to be built.
Edit: the white trash bit - I just realised my school is almost exclusively white, it's a rarity to see someone with a darker skin tone.
Old 06.07.2008, 07:57 AM   #8
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
get any gorgoroth cd, or any immortal cd. those are my other two fave black metal bands besides darkthrone. other records you should check out are the new sissy spacek and the new kevin drumm.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 08:09 AM   #9
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Burzum - Filosofem
Or
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales.
A guess you could call it proto-black metal. Really great, primitive almost punk-y riffs. I listen to this one more often than any other black metal album I own.
Old 06.07.2008, 08:11 AM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Morbid Tales is an excellent call, also try Venom's album Black Metal.

Filsofem is an incredible album too!
Old 06.07.2008, 08:16 AM   #11
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I LOVE the first two Venom records but they're a bit too "dumb" for most of this crowd.
Old 06.07.2008, 08:23 AM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Venom? Dumb? Surely not: http://youtube.com/watch?v=udBKbqeSgOg

In the Woods are totally underrated in my opinion. Although their style might be a bit soft for some, their first two albums, Heart of the Ages and Omnio are amazing. They're dreadful now, but those two are sheer class: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MEDz_Y_6MaE

No other BM song comes close to Burzum's Dunkelheit though.
Old 06.07.2008, 09:18 AM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
DODHEIMSGARD - 666 Internationale... or Supervillian Outcast.

Frightening complex black metal with insane riffs; actually pretty well produced -- scary? Pretty much the most technical black metal ever -- without having cheesy strings and synths. Completely over the top in every way.

I'd also like to nominate Gorgoroth, easily my favorite black metal band.

Also check out Graves at Sea. Epic-as-fuck black-crust-metal. Hah.. black crust.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 09:32 AM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I like Gorgoroth, although I've never found anything particularly original about their stuff. It's like a fusion of all the usual suspects, done really really well. I think one of the problems facing ('True') BM is that it's so clearly defined. There's very little space for musicians to really move within it. Xasthur is one of the more innovative names currently working in the genre, but even he's too closely bound up with the Burzum sound to really be able to push things forward to any significant degree.

Old 06.07.2008, 11:31 AM   #15
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
the burzum anthology is incredible. the last three xasthur records have been really good. but if you want some burzum inspired electronic black metal, check out the new leviathan album, massive conspiracy against all life. its a doozy.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 11:44 AM   #16
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
craft-fuck the universe
but this burzum song is mindblowing. probably my favorite metal song, or at least one of them
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fv_uQ7ZT8h0

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 11:51 AM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
the burzum anthology is incredible. the last three xasthur records have been really good. but if you want some burzum inspired electronic black metal, check out the new leviathan album, massive conspiracy against all life. its a doozy.

I have the last Leviathan album before that and I agree, they're very good.
Old 06.07.2008, 11:54 PM   #18
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Disappointingly, the music store was sadly lacking in black metal, so I couldn't get anything that was recommended. Instead, I bought Candlemass' Nightfall. Thanks for the recommendations anyway.
Old 06.07.2008, 11:59 PM   #19
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
Disappointingly, the music store was sadly lacking in black metal, so I couldn't get anything that was recommended. Instead, I bought Candlemass' Nightfall. Thanks for the recommendations anyway.

Oh, Nightfall is a BRILLIANT album!

"You are Bewiiiitched!"
Old 06.08.2008, 12:35 AM   #20
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Oh, Nightfall is a BRILLIANT album!

"You are Bewiiiitched!"
Phew, that's good news. I was looking at the liner notes and thinking "oh no, is this a Swedish Iron Maiden?"

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth