Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page TM / Michael Chapman - UK dates Jan 2013
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2012, 08:23 AM   #1
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Newcastle date announced (& sold out in 2 hours) this morning. Presumably more to follow?

http://tuskmusic.co.uk/events
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2012, 08:29 AM   #2
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Manchester http://m.ticketline.co.uk/thurston-m...orm=mobile#bio

Preston http://nme.seetickets.com/Event/THUR...src=id1nmecity
Old 12.06.2012, 02:23 PM   #3
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
The Preston date is just incredible. How the bookers managed to get that one I've no idea but the great thing is it's just a 2 minute walk from my place. AWETHUM.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2012, 04:08 PM   #4
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Norwich date added! I'm so happy!

http://norwichartscentre.co.uk/thurs...chael-chapman/

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2012, 02:32 AM   #5
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
and London on Feb 1st at Southbank Centre

Old 12.08.2012, 02:37 AM   #6
stu666
Super Moderator

more dates:
Michael Chapman + Thurston Moore UK Tour
February 1 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman London, UK – Purcell Room
February 2 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman Norwich, UK – Norwich Arts Centre
February 3 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman Hebden Bridge Trades Club
February 4 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman Hull, UK – The Adelphi
February 5 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman – Preston New Continental
February 6 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman Manchester, UK – Band on the Wall
February 7 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman Birmingham, UK – Glee Club
February 8 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman Bristol, UK – Colston Hall 2
February 9 Thurston Moore – Michael Chapman – tba

Old 12.08.2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Who is Michael Chapman?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2012, 12:50 PM   #8
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I'm Michael Chapman!
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2012, 12:54 PM   #9
stu666
Super Moderator

Michael Chapman (born 24 January 1941, Yorkshire, England) is a highly regarded English singer-songwriter and a worthy guitar player.

With a back catalogue boasting such gems as ‘Rainmaker’ and ‘Fully Qualified Survivor’ (featuring Mick Ronson, Rick Kemp, and others), it’s a mystery to all why he hasn’t been afforded more mainstream recognition. With his often quirky songs and vocal style sometimes eerily reminiscent of David Bowie, one can only assume that Chapman’s hardy reluctance to bow to the commercial pressures of his record companies served only to afford him scant recognition from the record-buying public. With a muse falling somewhere between Kevin Ayers and Warren Zevon, Chapman is a folk-rock, psychedelic jazz troubadour. A quality artist both then and now.

1977 saw the end of Chapman’s Decca deal, and the beginning of an association with Criminal Records in 1978; both record labels released versions of The Man Who Hated Mornings. He continued to gig and record consistently, varying styles and sounds, sometimes working with a full group, more often working with Rick Kemp alone.

The 1980s was a quieter time for Chapman. He continued to make recordings that straddled musical genres and pushed his guitar playing to the fore, but had neither the profile nor sales of the previous decade.

The late 1990s onwards represented a period of continued rebirth for Chapman. He embraced the ‘elder statesman’ role and enjoyed critical acclaim for albums like Navigation, Dreaming Out Loud and Still Making Rain (a wry pun title that looked back to his debut album). With the 1997 release of Dreaming Out Loud, Chapman was releasing albums at the rate of one every two years, and still attracting high praise, if not great sales.

The new century saw Chapman exploring his guitar player roots and releasing instrumental albums alongside his song based sets. Americana and Words Fail Me feature soundscapes that recalled travels in America, and featured a dexterity and inventiveness on the guitar equal to the classic Harvest and Decca periods.

Old 12.13.2012, 11:41 AM   #10
cjkisaragi
little trouble girl

cjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's assescjkisaragi kicks all y'all's asses
Michael Chapman is great and I'm really looking forward to this.
cjkisaragi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Dariusdrewe
empty page

Dariusdrewe has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Michael is playing tonight in HIGH WYCOMBE at the ARTS4EVERY1 CENTRE, DESBOROUGH ROAD. Tickets £10. dOORS 7 30. Come along. 01494 445517.
Dariusdrewe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2012, 01:08 AM   #12
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't that Michael Chapman chap also kill John Lennon?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2012, 12:15 PM   #13
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
and London on Feb 1st at Southbank Centre
Tickets on sale.

http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co....?dt=2013-02-01
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2013, 10:15 AM   #14
stu666
Super Moderator

I have 2 tickets for sale for the (sold out) Norwich show. If anyones interested then message me.

Old 02.01.2013, 07:12 AM   #15
stu666
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
I have 2 tickets for sale for the (sold out) Norwich show. If anyones interested then message me.

BUMP

I will sell these cheap and possibly give you a lift for free if you live near me...

Old 02.01.2013, 11:20 AM   #16
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

I was at last night's gig - really good evening, Michael & Thurston both in fine form and offering excellent stage patter (TM dispensing cough sweets to the audience at one point). Thurston played a mostly Trees/Demolished selection, but had to cut a couple after overrunning the previous evening. Michael joined him onstage at the end for a 20-minute improv skronk-out Paul Smith and Stuart Braithwaite in the audience too..
Old 02.01.2013, 11:24 AM   #17
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2013, 12:59 PM   #18
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
I was at last night's gig - really good evening, Michael & Thurston both in fine form and offering excellent stage patter (TM dispensing cough sweets to the audience at one point). Thurston played a mostly Trees/Demolished selection, but had to cut a couple after overrunning the previous evening. Michael joined him onstage at the end for a 20-minute improv skronk-out Paul Smith and Stuart Braithwaite in the audience too..

sounds good. Off out to tonights performance in about 20 mins, i'll bring enough germs for everyone.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2013, 04:37 PM   #19
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker

Which Trees/Demolished songs did he play?
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2013, 07:33 PM   #20
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
A list of highlights

Thurstons story about being in Newcastle and ordering Newcastle Brown Ale, and confusing CAMRA (The Campaign for Real Ale) with an actual drink.

Michael Chapmans story about having dinner with John Fahey, and the subsequent song written for the event. When he was doing the slide guitar bit i could only imagine the flag slipping from Fahey's body and revealing the full Fahey beneath.

Michael Chapmans last song, which he dedicated to Jack Rose, and was the best piece of music of the evening.

Psychic Hearts - One of my top 3 favourite Thurston vocal performances, it was fantastic to hear him sing it live.

The final improv work between the two of them - I felt it could have gone on a good while longer than it did, but whilst it was there it was great

The fact my seating arrangement was :

NICE COUPLE _ ME _ JAPANESE GUY WHO WAS ZONED OUT WITH JOY
and the fact I had a very nice chat with the lady of the nice couple about why Thurston's combining with Chapman made such sense.

The fact the bar only charged me for one drink when i got two - YES!

All in all, a 9.5/10 evening. And i cheated the fucked up public transport on the way home. So that makes it 9.6

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth