Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 2 records we never seem to discuss...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2008, 11:49 AM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
1. In The Fishtank 9

Personally, I was never too crazy about it. I just think that with the size and combined talent of the ensemble, I find it frustrating that none of the tracks seem to ever find a form at all. I understand that that probably wasn't the point, but I just don't find myself returning to it often at all. I remember running into Thurston soon after its release and I mentioned it to him, and he hinted that he wasn't all that happy with the outcome.

2. Hidros 3

This I enjoy. Kim's vocal tracks remind me of "Contre Le Sexism," and Jim's work is rather interesting. Though it came out during the NURSE period, I find it has more of A THOUSAND LEAVES feel to it (in that it sounds somewhat akin to SYR2 and 3.)
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 03:36 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Both decent.

In other news, my computer's fucked. See ya guys later!!!!!!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 03:45 PM   #3
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
both shite
Old 06.20.2008, 04:31 PM   #4
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
hidros 3 is pretty cool. didn't someone here write a paper or review of it that was really good?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
hidros 3 is fantastic, i love it; very atmospheric...it's like a more arthouse j'accuse.

i still need to purchase tons of in the fishtank volumes.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 07:33 PM   #6
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
hidros 3 is fantastic, i love it; very atmospheric...it's like a more arthouse j'accuse.

i still need to purchase tons of in the fishtank volumes.

Same here, I have vol. 9 of course, but the only other one I have is vol. 14 w/ Isis & Aereogramme. So, needles to say, I also would like to hear the rest of the series.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
1. In The Fishtank 9

Personally, I was never too crazy about it. I just think that with the size and combined talent of the ensemble, I find it frustrating that none of the tracks seem to ever find a form at all. I understand that that probably wasn't the point, but I just don't find myself returning to it often at all. I remember running into Thurston soon after its release and I mentioned it to him, and he hinted that he wasn't all that happy with the outcome.

i agree w/ this. almost never listened to it.

Quote:
2. Hidros 3

This I enjoy. Kim's vocal tracks remind me of "Contre Le Sexism," and Jim's work is rather interesting. Though it came out during the NURSE period, I find it has more of A THOUSAND LEAVES feel to it (in that it sounds somewhat akin to SYR2 and 3.)

it was recorded in october 2000 at the end of the 'nyc ghosts' tour, so you're close w/ thousand leaves. if you haven't read the stories behind those shows, take a look in the concert chronology. interesting ideas.

edit: just reread those entries myself, wow! they should release every night!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2010, 09:52 AM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
hidros 3 is pretty cool. didn't someone here write a paper or review of it that was really good?

I'd like to read this.
Old 07.01.2010, 11:53 AM   #9
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
me too. me too.

still diggin ITF for sounding exatly like you would put the yoof into: a fishtank

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
I kind of have a problem with the idea that the musicians didnt hear each other on Hidros 3. Did not enjoy it very much, But then again I havent listened to it in probably 4 years, so I should revisit i guess.

Another one that rarely gets mentioned (correct me if Im wrong..) is
the Thurston/Flaherty/Corsano/Shoup record called The Roadhouse Sessions Vol. 1

More in a Free Jazz / Dream Aktion mode. Great stuff.
Anyone heard?
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2010, 06:31 AM   #11
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
1. In The Fishtank 9

2. Hidros 3

I think "VI" and "X" are quite good (they both ends the vinyl sides). They are the most structured pieces in that album. The whole album is ok, but it´s not also my favourite Sonic album. I listen it sometimes, when I need chaotic music (maybe four times a year). I haven´t got Hidros and never heard it.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2010, 07:00 AM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Hidros is really cool.
Old 07.03.2010, 05:19 AM   #13
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
In The Fishtank 9 - Leans a bit close to the "boring" side of the fence. I remember thinking (before it was released) that it sounded promising, considering the talent involved. Then I bought it and felt a bit disappointed.The thing just goes nowhere. Sounds too much like improv for the sake of improve which is (almost...) always boring. Doesn't take too many directions, kinda feels the same way from begining to end.

Hidros 3 - FANTASTIC! I love the utter-strutter-weird-creepiness of Kim's vocals. + Mats G.'s contrabass sax sneakin' in and out, sounding like a a small prairie creature being sodomized by a Hippo. Very colorful record, full of surprises....Vulgar and fun and bloody and pretty and all sorts of this 'n thats. And that thank you section in the liner notes, probably the largest I've ever seen. Mats seems to dig almost everything, not a bad thing.
Old 07.03.2010, 07:48 AM   #14
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I must admit that I haven't played Fishtank in a very long time. This has inspired me to start spinning it again. i will re-evaluate and report back.

Hidros 3 is one of my all time favourites. Whatever happened to the promised Jim O'Rourke remixed vinyl version ?

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2010, 07:53 AM   #15
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i haven't listened to either record in years, in the fishtank probably listened to last time in 2004, i like it, but i guess not that much to actually pull it out at any time in the last 6 years.
hidros 3 - i just don't like mats gustaffson
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2010, 08:22 AM   #16
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic johnny

Hidros 3 is one of my all time favourites. Whatever happened to the promised Jim O'Rourke remixed vinyl version ?

I've never heard of this?
Old 07.03.2010, 08:23 AM   #17
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i just don't like mats gustaffson

often I feel the same. But I do like Hidros 3
Old 07.03.2010, 10:52 AM   #18
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I've never heard of this?

I remember reading about it on the Smalltown Supersound website. But I got this from the excellent Jim O' Filmography and Discography page...

Mats Gustafsson
Hidros 3
CD (Smalltown Supersound) 2004
LP (Smalltown Supersound) forthcoming
O’Rourke is credited with “live mix” and “making it work”
the LP will be released in 2005 and will be a different mix, made by O’Rourke; according to the label’s website “in many ways this will be a new and different album than the CD that is out now”

I need to have this, it's such a shame that it didn't see the light of day.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2010, 11:00 AM   #19
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
In the fishtank - III track is just awesome, I'm listening to it from time to time, but I don't like much the rest so I agree with the above.

Hidros3 is not for my ears, nothing interesting is going on in all that noise, fails. One short moment that I admire there is Part two (voice) minutes from 9:46 to when this awesome break with space ends.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth