Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Making noise music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.29.2011, 03:11 PM   #1
woofwoof
little trouble girl

woofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asses
After being enthralled by the SYR stuff and the alternate take of Diamond Sea, I wanted to know just how one goes about making similar noise music. Do you need a thousand different pedals? Is a whammy bar a must? Do you need some kind of percussion behind it all?

Please! Answer my questions if you can.
woofwoof is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Scroll down to 'effects': http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gear.html

Looks like it's a relatively small set-up (by comparison to complete gear monsters like the Edge/ Kevin Shields).

Honestly though, you're better off going down the playing route. A lot of SY's early greatness was due to not having much in the way of effects and using physical mods rather than falling back on pedals. A pedal isn't a shortcut to creativity.

Though I say that, there's good in most techniques - Keith Rowe, Kevin Drumm, My Cat is an Alien - all worth checking out (this is, obviously, a massively incomplete list).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 03:44 PM   #3
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Skinny Puppy tried to make a noise album. they pussy'd out.

it takes testicles the size of grapefruit to attempt the feat. testicles that Skinny Puppy were lacking.

if only they had one of those pc komputer widgets. that would have helped.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Depends on what kind of noise you're supose to do.

Lots of pedals is cool. Noise thru computer is gay but cool sometimes.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 05:06 PM   #5
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
woof.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I'd say before you start making noise get a grasp of various techniques in composition. They don't have to be particularly complex ones, but a better undertstanding of making music, rather than making noise, will potentially work to your advantage if you intend to progress. You can make noise in so many ways; it really is that easy. Your best friend is a good recorder, so you can capture the majority of enviromental sounds around you, which you can then manipulate into ''controlled'' freakouts. Using a computer is perfectly fine, but if you want to stand out from the crowd you'll need to start working on your own preferences in how things should sound, rather than just emulate what's been done by others. In other words, do make noise but make it with a musical mind/soul, rather than just channeling some aggression. That will naturally come out if it's meant to be there.

One good method of practice to decide if pedals are fitting into what you do is to familiarise yourself with the different sounds that various objects make when you hit them with your hands or with other objects. That gives you an idea of how much you can get out of them before you resort to the help of alien (figure of speech here, since pedals are often used in banal and unimaginative ways) sounds.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
You need three things:

VOLUME

HATE/ANGER

and an extensive knowledge of hardcore punk bands.

Have Fun
^ The (very) easy route.
Old 11.29.2011, 06:53 PM   #8
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
there are no fuckign rules and anyone who tells you 'how' to make noise music is clueless. if you want to make noise music 'like' someone that is just stupid. You need carve out a distinct niche otherwise you're no better than Live ripping off Pearl Jam, and probably even less interesting. Or, of course, just do what you like. Noise is not sustainable, from my experience, and usually ends in madness, of which I offer myself as proof. NOISE IS ABOUT FREEDOM NOT LIMITS.
if you like it, do it. if you don't like it but do it anyway, whats the point?

After 25 years I'm finally finding the totalizing bass sound I've always wanted, I plan to get a Boss RC3 soon and then I can play with myself forever, although I would like to work with a heavy free guitarist or two again.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
there are no fuckign rules and anyone who tells you 'how' to make noise music is clueless. .
Try explaining this to all the noisemakers who sound the same. And like shit.
Old 11.29.2011, 07:16 PM   #10
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
W/ noise, it's all about being creative. Trying to come up with new sounds in unconventional ways, or at least attempting (I say "attempting" because in 2011 it can seem impossible sometimes) new approaches to more traditional instruments. Weird oddball tunings/strumming patterns/etc. Pedals are not necessary even though they can make creating noise easier or make one sound more experienced than they actually are (in other words, I enjoy pedals but feel people hide behind them sometimes. It's easy to make something sound interesting with pedals). Whammy bars can be fun and useful but get old fast. Mine has spent most of the four years I've owned my guitar in the guitar case. Come up with an idea, a sound, and figure out how to obtain it. Or just use what ya'v got while saving/investing in new stuff (yes, this can mean pedals) and experiment until ya find something you like. The music of others, in my opinion, should be used more so as a guide to ideas than a "how to", at least when it comes to noise. noise is based on improvisation. And despite what some will say, learning to play an instrument in traditional ways/tunings can pave way for new exciting ideas even when it comes to noise. First Sonic EP had some hella noisy moments, and from what I understand they used standard tuning on that one.

Listen to music you normally wouldn't have much interest in.
Read books above yr ability level.
Get sad/get angry/get happy...
And just explain it via yr guitar however you know how.

There are no rules to noise, as someone else has said. If there must be rules, make yr own.
Old 11.29.2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
First Sonic EP had some hella noisy moments, and from what I understand they used standard tuning on that one.

Good point. If you think that to make weird sounds you necessarily have to use unorthodox tunings doesn't always mean your music will sound weird to certain ears. I often feel that what made SY special isn't so much their tunings, but how they approached their instruments as performers, down to the way they handled them while playing. Besides, I am not a fan of weirdness at all cost because too often I perceive that attitude as trying too hard but not trying hard enough.
Old 11.29.2011, 07:50 PM   #12
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
don't try and emulate anyone else. if you use a guitar for god sakes use it creatively.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
there are no fuckign rules and anyone who tells you 'how' to make noise music is clueless. if you want to make noise music 'like' someone that is just stupid.

In practise, the above is a tautology. And if I thought you'd read it, I'd explain why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 09:12 PM   #14
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Good point. If you think that to make weird sounds you necessarily have to use unorthodox tunings doesn't always mean your music will sound weird to certain ears. I often feel that what made SY special isn't so much their tunings, but how they approached their instruments as performers, down to the way they handled them while playing. Besides, I am not a fan of weirdness at all cost because too often I perceive that attitude as trying too hard but not trying hard enough.

Agreed. Weird for the sake of weird is often boring.
Old 11.30.2011, 04:24 AM   #15
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
i'd say just listen to the sounds you're making.. take your cues from the sound...

the ultimate error is stop listening - often happens to some...

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 04:32 AM   #16
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan

the ultimate error is stop listening - often happens to some...

best advice i've ever seen during the history of this board.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 10:26 AM   #17
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
In practise, the above is a tautology. And if I thought you'd read it, I'd explain why.

I understand tautology, no need to be douchey.

Let me say it another way.

If you aren't trying to innovate new sounds, why the fuck are you bothering?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 11:11 AM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
firstly, you have to have noise music in your heart bleeding into your head and daily reality before you can even begin to start to try to capture it with your instruments. Its not a manner of tuning, or tone, or set up, or wiring, or guitar selection, or effects chain, or any such matters. If you have noise music in your head, you can make it with nothing, the way Bach and Beethoven composed symphonies by notation without even having to play the instruments out.

Once you realize you have this in your head, if you have a bit of natural talent, you will find it sublimely coming out of your instrument. when natural harmonics or feedback arises, you will play with it and ride the resonance like a surfer rides a wave. You may discover certain tricks, such as ways to manipulate the wiring to get certain sounds, or to tap the neck to get feedback, or certain knob settings, various effects chains etc etc..

But the truth, is these will only accentuate what is already in your head.

From my perspective, I say start simple. Turn the volume down and the gain up on your amp, plug in a guitar and play around with the introductionary open tuning, (the drop D) and see what comes out. A simple effects chain to play with this is a delay pedal. From there, let the guitar take you on an adventure. The tricks of the trade to get noise, these only come from experience so keep literally playing around with your guitar, and you will stumble into the right things. Also, smoke some weed, it helps.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 05:20 PM   #19
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
this thread has inspired my bowels to make noise music.
Let them take me to an adventure.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 05:55 PM   #20
gast30
invito al cielo

gast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's asses
made this music

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e7pf00

what you think woof woof
gast30 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth