Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page asp's classic albums # 91: le shok - we are electrocution
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.08.2011, 08:49 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Lately, I've been digging into some records I really loved in high school. Some still hold up, others don't thrill me like they used to (honestly, REFUSED - A SHAPE OF PUNK TO COME has some great songs on it, but back when I first got that album, I was more impressed with "OH! THEY'RE KINDA PUNK! BUT KINDA HARDCORE! BUT KINDA GOT THIS ELECTRONIC THING GOING ON, TOO! WOWEE!" Now I'm like "oh, hm, yeah, some of these songs go on too long, some have dull riffs, but I like em).

Albums like this? Sound better than ever!

I was huge into synth driven punk type stuff back in the day, you know.. Lost Sounds, Mocket, Causey, Phantom Limbs, and so on. I got into this band around the same time, since they have a very very present organ in all their songs (played fast and with actual skill). A lot of the songs almost come from the Screamers school, albeit with a very distinct garage band element to them.

Basically, these are mini epics -- not really in the "prog" sense, like Miracle Chosuke's "7/8 Wonders of the World" (which I'll get to in my next post probably) -- but moreso in that they're SO addictive and catchy, you'll be epicly hitting repeat to play 'em again and again. Honestly, I've rarely heard such PERFECT songs, usually at a minute a piece or under.

Ratty sneering vocals, a competent rhythm section, and distorted jangly guitar riffing aside, the star of this record is probably the organ. This guy can just kill on the thing.

This album can't really be categorized. "Garage punk"? "Noise punk"? "Organ punk"? Who knows... who cares? All I know is, you'll rarely hear songs so addictive and perfect, while still being pretty fucked. Le Shok played by their own rules. On one hand, you get this image of a band getting fucked up and trashing the place and playing like shit.. on the other hand you have these damn-catchy, well-written songs. Very calculated and intelligent and unconventional.

A short album, basically an EP, but you'll wear it out from playing it so much.

Just a great album. Enjoy. http://www.mediafire.com/?g2mitunjmnz

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2011, 03:13 AM   #2
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Love this fucking album! Just dug it out a few weeks before this actually. Always on point, Adam.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 05:18 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
thanks hayden. I'm definitely getting back into some old classics lately. But I want to assure everyone, it's not nostalgia, these albums just sound awesome.

Who knows, I might just have to do OTHER MATHEMATICS soon..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth