Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Be Your Own Pet censored by Universal
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.24.2008, 10:47 AM   #1
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/n...ue-to-violence

Punk rock has always had a destructive, thrill-seeking streak, going back to such early rabble-rousers as Blondie's "Rip Her to Shreds", the Ramones' "Beat on the Brat", and the Stooges' "Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell". The havoc-wreaking songs on Be Your Own Pet's brand new album Get Awkward are just the latest additions to this lineage of cartoonish mayhem.
But three Get Awkward tunes were removed from the album's U.S. version at the last minute, having been deemed too violent by Universal Records. (Universal releases Be Your Own Pet's albums through a deal with the band's U.S. label, Ecstatic Peace.)
"Blow Yr Mind", "Black Hole", and "Becky" all appear on the international version of Get Awkward, released by XL Recordings.
Yes, Universal, an imprint of the Universal Music Group, home to such family-friendly artists as Eminem, 50 Cent, Marilyn Manson, and (formerly) Nine Inch Nails, thinks these songs are too violent to be heard by American audiences. Yes, this is the same company that once put out records by a band that calls itself ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead. However, none of those acts features an adorable, barely post-teenage blonde girl as a frontwoman, as Be Your Own Pet do.
"Blow Your Mind" is a 45-second juggernaut that turns its title into a threat. "Black Hole" bitches about living in a dead end town with nothing going on, so "let's go and kill someone". It also contains the immortal line, "Eating pizza is really great / So is destroying everything you hate!"
"Becky" tells a Heathers-style tale of best friends turned worst enemies:
Doesn't matter anyway, 'cause I've got a brand new friend, OK
Me and her, we'll kick your ass
We'll wait with knives after class!
If only what you wrote in my yearbook was true
Then I wouldn't be stuck in fucking cell block 2
But I don't regret what I've done,
'Cause in the end, it was fun!
Andrew Kesin, General Manager of Ecstatic Peace, finds the matter confusing and disheartening. "This is not indicative of how we've operated with Universal," he said. "They've never said a word about anything we've ever done before. This took us all by surprise."
Kesin said that the decision to axe the three songs from the U.S. version of the album came "very late in the game, three or four weeks before street date." (When we originally reported the album's tracklist back in November, they were on there.) "It's such a drag. There was nobody to even talk to about it."
In an interview with New York University's Washington Square News, Pearl spoke out about the matter:
"When I found out that the songs were going to get taken off, I was just like, 'Is there anybody I can talk to?' It's like, I don't even really know who these people are. There's no one you can talk to to try to argue your case. Other than that, Universal has been great. But I guess that's just what happens when you decide to have something to do with a major label. They're going to be scared of anything that's not completely cookie cutter."

"I also feel like it's a good thing to have an outlet. Like, maybe I would be a very violent person if I didn't have the chance to sing about what I want to sing about and express things I want and it's definitely helped me from being a destructive person in my life. And I think tons of people relate to that, so it's kind of frustrating that they want to censor me or whatever."
Currently, "Black Hole" is streaming from Be Your Own Pet's MySpace page, and "Black Hole" and "Becky" are streaming on Be Your Own Pet's website. Kesin said that plans are in the works to release the three songs in the U.S. as a single via XL.
Be Your Own Pet are on tour in the UK and Europe now, with plans to tour America this summer with She Wants Revenge, whose breakout single "Tear You Apart" concerns wanting to tear your hair out and "fucking tear you apart". Wanna guess what company put out that record?

http://assets3.pitchforkmedia.com/im...gif?1200372477Stream: Be Your Own Pet: Black Hole / Becky [from the Get Awkward LP, non-U.S. version]

that's kinda disheartening, even if people aren't fans of them here, no need to be censored
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, I'm not a big fan of Be Your Own Pet, but it's really sad when a major label fucks with a band.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2008, 10:55 AM   #3
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
That's crazy, but knowing how those high-end entertainment companies do things, it's hardly shocking. My guess the main reason has something to do with how popular they are. If Be Your Own Pet were going to sell like the forementioned 50 cent, Eminem, Marilyn Manson, etc then I'm sure those songs would be acceptable, because who cares if it's violent? They are making money. Which is all kind of funny really, because if their concern was with protecting the youths of America, then it would make more sense to censor the MORE popular artists since they are reaching more kids. But like I said, the idea that it's actually about the money is not a huge shocker.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2008, 11:06 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This band is awful. Someone should censor their existence.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2008, 11:17 AM   #5
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
That sucks, because those three songs are my favorite from that album.
Old 03.24.2008, 09:02 PM   #7
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
This band is awful. Someone should censor their existence.

hahaha

i don't like them, but i don't think they're awful.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2008, 09:25 PM   #8
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
that's balls. i wonder which one of them is going to grow up and become a senator.

hmm...

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
This is fine for me since I'm in the UK. Going to see these mofos tomorrow in Manchester!
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2008, 11:45 PM   #10
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Frank Zappa, where art thou?

also BANG BANG Maxwell's silver hammer came down upon her head doo dee doo doo
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2008, 02:12 AM   #11
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
For once I agree with censorship!
Old 03.25.2008, 02:57 AM   #12
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Let's all just shirk the matter at hand in order to look like even bigger hipster douchebags than we already are!
Old 03.25.2008, 03:01 AM   #13
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I'm the hippest. I have every Sonic Youth album on Vinyl*

*may be a lie
Old 03.25.2008, 03:07 AM   #14
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Lame, seems to me they want to shove BYP down the throats of 14 year old girls. 'How are we going to get them to play BYP on "Gossip Girl" or in on the soundtrack of the next Miley Cyrus movie if the song is about killing somone?' 'The frontwoman isn't being a role-model for young girls the way Gwen Stefani is/was.' Tsk Tsk. BYP are bad, but censorship is worse.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2008, 03:12 AM   #15
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

"Everybody here is popping pills" Not very role-modely
Goddamit I hate that song.
Old 03.25.2008, 03:17 AM   #16
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I'm the hippest. I have every Sonic Youth album on Vinyl*

*may be a lie
SYR 6
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2008, 03:29 PM   #17
pbradley
invito al cielo

I think it is radical for 14 year old girls to make roll models out of people that advocate violence.

"We're going to kill the Californian girls"

GOSH, Thurston! You're such a band influence on the children!
Old 03.26.2008, 04:00 AM   #18
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Or simply just in the title of the song Tom Violence.
Old 03.26.2008, 01:22 PM   #19
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I live in the UK, so i got the proper full version...they just censored the best tracks too, very irritating for american fans.

I do love this band! Get Awkward in particular is a cathartic teenage riot, it just feels like it gonna come off the rails at any point.

All in all a set of extremely fun songs...and Christ, a set of fun songs is what we need...the 00's have been such a bummer.
Old 03.26.2008, 01:23 PM   #20
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I live in the UK, so i got the proper full version...they just censored the best tracks too, very irritating for american fans.

I do love this band! Get Awkward in particular is a cathartic teenage riot, it just feels like it gonna come off the rails at any point.

All in all a set of extremely fun songs...and Christ, a set of fun songs is what we need...the 00's have been such a bummer.

Yes, that is what I said. Those songs are amazing, the music is in sad shape with depressing music, it really is a bore.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth