Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Arab On Radar?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2009, 11:24 AM   #1
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Do you like Arab on radar & Chinese stars?
i've been trying to force myself to love them, but i only really like Soak the Saddle and the Chinese Stars stuff. The Stolen singles is also quite good, but i really came to the conclusion that all the rest is pretty weak.

You like.
You don't like.
You argue.
You shake hands.
Havin' a good time.

Old 03.13.2009, 11:53 AM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I saw AOR once. Mr. Potty Mouth scared the hell out of me. They played IN THE CROWD, and he was violent (and I'm a small dude.)
Old 03.13.2009, 12:07 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Not really.

Decent weird guitar lines and some nice-sounding distorted bass lines. Annoying vocals. Extremely boring band. Can't write a song for shit. Why waste your time. Chinese Stars are terrible.

We've had threads on 'em before.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...highlight=arab

Don't waste your time, get some U.S. Maple or Bride of No No.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i don't like arab on radar either.
don't feel obligated to like stuff, life is too short
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 07:57 PM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
US Maple IS good
Old 03.14.2009, 03:46 AM   #6
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
US MAple bore the hell out my brains. so sketchy and desertic.
bride of no no, what i listened to, i i lked but i don't see the link between AOR and BONN.
Old 03.14.2009, 08:06 AM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
You don't see the link between fucked up riffs, distorted bass lines, annoying vocals, prog sensibilities in otherwise noise/no wave-influenced rock music?

Old 03.14.2009, 08:20 AM   #8
greedrex
invito al cielo

huh i don't see AOR as no wave but anyways; yeah
Old 03.14.2009, 08:23 AM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

After decades of Sonic Youth and the Swans keeping the flame alive, No Wave started finding favor again, inspiring and influencing new bands to pick up instruments. Besides Arab on Radar, bands like Black Dice, Lightning Bolt, The Locust, Lake of Dracula, Wolf Eyes, and Pink Brown were formed, seemingly coming out of nowhere. These bands were much noisier and more dissonant than the hardest of the hardcore bands of the 1980"s, making Black Flag look like the Knack. The bands shared a penchant for experimental music, strange lyrics, and playing anywhere, including warehouses or abandoned buildings. Truly the best part about this No Wave resurgence was that this time it was much better received by people. Positive encouragement of the music allowed them to grow and be able to tour--something that the original No Wave bands couldn't have dreamed of. There's also the benefit of no crossover appeal to ruin the integrity of the musicians.

Old 03.14.2009, 08:26 AM   #10
greedrex
invito al cielo

hehe
of course, but in my book AOR is too structured to be labeled no wave .
i always regret they've never updated their production to something bassier.
too much high medium in there.
Do you like Chinese Stars, i'm really into them.
Old 03.14.2009, 08:30 AM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

No.

It has a member of Six Finger Satellite in it and it still sucks.

Old 03.14.2009, 08:32 AM   #12
greedrex
invito al cielo

mmmm
anyway off to listen to lots of Six Organs of Admittance.
Old 03.14.2009, 08:35 AM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha well I love Six Organs.

Chinese Stars are just one of those bands.. I listen to 'em and think, "oh, that's a cool riff there. Oh, that's a nice little section." But none of it ever sticks with me. You know a band who does something similiar but way better? This band called Make Believe. It's one of the thousand Joan of Arc, Cap'N Jazz, etc. offshoots. But it doesn't sound like any of them. It's got all those weird riffs and slinking bass lines that Chinese Stars have.

I really don't mind "Turbo Mattress" or whatever it was called, the 5 song ep, and they were good live, I saw 'em uhhh... fuck, 5 years ago I think? Back when they first started. But I heard another album after that ep and it just didn't do a damn thing for me.

Old 03.14.2009, 08:53 AM   #14
greedrex
invito al cielo

yes the last Chinese Stars album is awfully dull.
For me it's only their first LP + first EP.
Old 03.14.2009, 09:31 AM   #15
sarramkrop

I've listened to them before but never remember them, so probably I don't like them.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2009, 08:49 PM   #16
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I love them.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth