Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.07.2015, 04:00 PM   #18441
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and all those movies criticizing materialism and greed were used by idiots to model their own search for material wealth and greed.

Those movies were a subtle cause of the massive investment bubbles of the past 20 years
Old 01.07.2015, 04:55 PM   #18442
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Those films may have criticised it morally but it was an era when the evil capitalists were suddenly getting the most appealing roles, with all the best lines. Gordon Gekko, J.R. Ewing. They were baddies only in the way that Dracula was a baddie, or Hannibal Lector, ie they were portrayed in a way that was a million times more appealing than their good-guy adversaries. It was a complete reversal of the logic that underpinned films like It's a Wonderful Life.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2015, 05:02 PM   #18443
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
is he negative about it? i thought he was fucking proud. get the discs (2 of them) & check out the commentaries, etc. he's pissed that it was cancelled but both him and pamela adlon were very proud of their work-- which btw c.k. compares it to the honeymooners (they even went for a similar look in the apartment).

can't think of any blockbusters that were about rags to riches stories but for example there's this class-conscious comedy from late 80s/early 90s called "dutch" featuring the al bundy guy as some working class dude dating a rich lady and he goes to pick up the lady's kid for thanksgiving... all kind of shit ensues. but the thing is that this working class schmoe is a millionaire who owns a fucking construction company. and so love triumphs in the end. al bundy the shoe salesman on the other hand is painted as a loser and an object of ridicule.

oh wait there is plenty of that material in the yuppie age about "getting out". the secret of my success, trading places... even a pink-collar revolt like "9 to 5" ends up in marriage and yuppiedom. the 80s were a time of ideological carnage. after that, if you don't have a trust fund it's your own damn fault.

the british thank fuck gave us mike leigh who is still making films. haven't watched his latest. last i saw was vera drake which in recollection was very good. but that's just a drop in the bucket.

if you want working class british films watch Selfish Giant. Brilliant film.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2015, 05:34 PM   #18444
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I think the years are significant, and i suggest that after two terms of Reagan there was something of an appetite for questioning the dream that had been sold. Same time as Roseanne, in fact.

But I certainly take the point.

Apparently it caused Oliver Stone some chagrin when yuppie scum saw Gordon Gekko as a hero. From what I remember, Stone made him unlikable enough. But yes, I doubt anyone goes up to Oliver Stone and quotes any of Martin Sheen's lines.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2015, 05:36 PM   #18445
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

surprisingly i really enjoyed this flick.. it was a classic thriller with a dozen completely unpredictable turns i was hooked! Possibly im just biased as a devotee of Willam Dafoe

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2015, 06:19 PM   #18446
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

the british thank fuck gave us mike leigh who is still making films. haven't watched his latest. last i saw was vera drake which in recollection was very good. but that's just a drop in the bucket.

Politically, Mike Leigh's generally been more about poking fun at the lower middle class than anything to do with the working class. He's closer to someone like Alan Bennet in that sense. Ken Loach is probably the only overtly political (from a class perspective) filmmaker Britain has left. (If you'll pardon the pun.)
Old 01.08.2015, 10:41 AM   #18447
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Politically, Mike Leigh's generally been more about poking fun at the lower middle class than anything to do with the working class. He's closer to someone like Alan Bennet in that sense. Ken Loach is probably the only overtly political (from a class perspective) filmmaker Britain has left. (If you'll pardon the pun.)

i'm sure you know him better than i do, and a film like life is sweet would fit that description (only in part, because after the comedy it gets really serious), but films like "vera drake" or "naked" are not about that nor funny at all.

i suppose what i find praiseworthy in him is not some sort of political commitment (i am not really fond of overt ideologues), but his realism, in opposition to hollywood which is all about brainwashing through aspirational fantasies of impossible lives.

speaking of realism-- that is a reason why the wire was so great. so things like that are possible, but they are extremely rare.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2015, 08:09 PM   #18448
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Better Off Dead
Old 01.08.2015, 09:24 PM   #18449
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Fallen also better than i remembered.. ending had the potential to have been epic good then turned out to be epic #fail for literally no reason

Old 01.08.2015, 10:07 PM   #18450
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Fallen also better than i remembered.. ending had the potential to have been epic good then turned out to be epic #fail for literally no reason
So you can say that Fallen's ending.....fell flat.....yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh </caruso>
Old 01.08.2015, 10:17 PM   #18451
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
i'm sure you know him better than i do, and a film like life is sweet would fit that description (only in part, because after the comedy it gets really serious), but films like "vera drake" or "naked" are not about that nor funny at all.

i suppose what i find praiseworthy in him is not some sort of political commitment (i am not really fond of overt ideologues), but his realism, in opposition to hollywood which is all about brainwashing through aspirational fantasies of impossible lives.

speaking of realism-- that is a reason why the wire was so great. so things like that are possible, but they are extremely rare.

Haven't seen Vera Drake but you're right about Naked. But for me he really defined himself with his earlier tv dramas, which I imagine are harder to get hold of in the US. Stuff like Abigail's Party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hXUehyRlE
Old 01.08.2015, 11:14 PM   #18452
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Haven't seen Vera Drake but you're right about Naked. But for me he really defined himself with his earlier tv dramas, which I imagine are harder to get hold of in the US. Stuff like Abigail's Party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hXUehyRlE

oh, i see. i only learned about him in the 90s via "secrets and lies." and more or less kept up since.

i've been planning a retrospective of his movies via netflix, which has "hard labour" (1973), and i think maybe i'll start it sooner than planned.

looking at the selection seems like he covers the whole social spectrum though, including an "affluent snobby couple" in "nuts in may" (1976), a postman, office workers, mortician's assistants, very poor people, etc. is he maybe your contemporary balzac? hmm....
Old 01.09.2015, 07:25 AM   #18453
demonrail666
invito al cielo

He does cover the full range but his most fruitful/insightful area is definitely those petty cultural snobberies that so pre-occupy the upper working/lower middle classes. So Balzac maybe, I dunno, haven't read him, but probably more straight-forwardly comparable with the way Dickens dealt with those areas.
Old 01.09.2015, 11:29 AM   #18454
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Not sure abt Mr Turner, although I think Timothy Spall is pretty great in just about anything he does, I distrust the historical bio films in general....
Another year was fantastic, L Manville and Broadbent. Plus, my being a geologist also helped me like Broadbent's character.
Happy Go Lucky had a stellar performance by Eddie Marsan, who I just about always see as "Scott" now.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2015, 01:20 AM   #18455
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. So good, imho.
Old 01.10.2015, 02:34 AM   #18456
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

i love it. It seems by coincidence ive been watching a bunch of movies with willem dafoe..i also watched Grand Budapest Hotel last night which had dafoe in it. Speaking of which recently i also watched the all time great To Live And Die In LA.

Old 01.10.2015, 09:50 AM   #18457
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
The One I Love

Contrary to the so-so reviews, I enjoyed it completely.
Old 01.10.2015, 01:35 PM   #18458
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I found the movie Ce Sior ou Jamais (Tonight or Never) on Youtube, with english subtitles, and watched that last night. An enjoyable film with the lovely Anna Karina not directed by Jean-Luc Godard.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2015, 11:10 AM   #18459
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

had a surprising revelation w/ a belgian film, from directors i had never heard about-- they're fantastic though

THE KID WITH A BIKE (JP & Luc Dardenne, 2011)

what can i say? everything that's written on that poster is true. watch it. came out in a nice criterion blu ray.
Old 01.12.2015, 09:33 AM   #18460
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. I have never seen Danny McBride do anything that did not make me crack up, from his small role in Tropic Thunder to Pineapple Express ("I'm wearing a fucking kimono, man.") to the genius of Kenny Powers.
823873913920921922 923 9249259269339731023 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth