Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Possible Replacements for.... Sonic Youth???
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2011, 05:03 PM   #21
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
The identity of SY will never be duplicated. I'm sure most of us know that already. It is interesting though to wonder if after the resignation of the band there will ever be a new band or one currently that can evolve into something as exciting or innovative. I don't foresee it happening anytime soon. Of course it remains surmised, but hopefully one will come along eventually with that unpredictability and spark and ability to create something important.

Edit - this was sort of a response to evol
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
slavo is one of the stars of this forum. I'll get my bodyguards to sort you out. Enough is enough.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2011, 05:05 PM   #23
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I just don't get why people respond so arrogantly and heatedly to stuff posted on here. It's like.... why bother?

yeah. No big deal or anything but it is unnecessary to insult random users because they make a thread or two that doesn't interest you. Oh well.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2011, 05:06 PM   #24
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
They'll Sonic Youth you well and good, buddy.
Old 11.23.2011, 05:36 PM   #25
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Ok ok. If you guys are seriously talking about someone replacing SY. You're stupid. Can a band replace another band? Fuck no.

Man, I don't mean literally. Of course it's not literal!!!

It's figurative. Jesus christ.

I just mean: WHO'S NEXT, basically. As in, do you think there are any little baby Sonic Youth's out there who will carry us into the next era?

Christ on a stick!
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2011, 05:37 PM   #26
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
husker du
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2011, 05:40 PM   #27
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
The identity of SY will never be duplicated. I'm sure most of us know that already. It is interesting though to wonder if after the resignation of the band there will ever be a new band or one currently that can evolve into something as exciting or innovative. I don't foresee it happening anytime soon. Of course it remains surmised, but hopefully one will come along eventually with that unpredictability and spark and ability to create something important.

Edit - this was sort of a response to evol

Right.

Nobody's saying they are literally replaceable.

But either the avant-noise-rock genre will continue, or it will die. To continue, it needs new blood and innovation.

Does anybody know of a band that might have 30 years worth of awesomeness in them? A band with "SY potential"?
Old 11.23.2011, 06:55 PM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
interestingly, I saw a report on BBC World which was suggesting the same kind of problem in mainstream music as a whole, with the market being dominated by nothing but "heritage" groups that have been holding it down for decades. I adore most of these still playing heritage groups, and SY is definitely in that category after three continuous decades, however young artists are unable to get the kind of airplay, media coverage, and touring support because all the OGs are still running the game..

however Kurt was right..

"this is to all the dinosaurs out there, who will die, and then we will move into their homes.."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2011, 07:28 PM   #29
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
don't mind slavo. He's a dick.
Probably, but he's right.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2011, 12:12 AM   #30
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Ok ok. If you guys are seriously talking about someone replacing SY. You're stupid. Can a band replace another band? Fuck no.

I agree, sorta...but that one still depends on how you look at it.
Old 11.24.2011, 03:24 AM   #31
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by monostereo
As amazing as the Velvet Underground were, I always think of them as being one of the most overrated bands of all time. I think "The Parable Of Arable Land" and "God Bless...." by The Red Crayola are much more reminiscent of so-called "free music" and "avant-noise - indie Rock" than anything else that was recorded in 1967/68. The Velvet Underground are great, though, I do have all their records and highly worship them because they made some real good music, wrote great songs etc, but personally I never thought of them as being a main influence on Sonic Youth, although VU surely paved the way for "avantgarde noise" within a "song" context.... VU were more of a "folk" influenced band, SY is more "punk rock".... I would say Can is more of a predecessor to SY than any other band, in a way how they put together their musical work through improvisation (although Can came from a more classically trained jazz background).
Motorpsycho from Norway definitely follow the SY tradition, although they come from heavy rock (Sabbath) and mix it with SY elements....

The Red Crayola sounded very great to me and I´m going to listen them more but still...I think VU is lot greater and more personal band and really doing something almost anybody else didn´t do that time. The Red Crayola sounded more like early Pink Floyd, 13th Floor Elevators and Pretty Things at that time.

But I also have been wondered, is there a tradition that started with VU and continued in SY? Of course VU influences are heard in SY music, but so there are also lots of other influences. Maybe only real unifying factor is that both bands haven´t been part of the bigger pop movement in their careers, but doing very personal, own stuff. Although I think popular culture has degenarated since the mid-seventies, I believe there always will born at least few new creative, interesting bands. And I don´t believe it will not be a good start to any band to try to continue "SY-tradition", of course all the bands have influences, but if you try to put your influences intentionally in your music, I don´t believe you can make interesting, creative music.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2011, 01:09 PM   #32
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Probably, but he's right.

And brilliant! And important! And eloquent!
Old 11.24.2011, 01:48 PM   #33
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Say what you will about me, but talk about my boy E. Noisefield, well....

his jaw's in for a crushin

Do you know what my favourite food is? Raw chicken tits. That's how hard I am.
Old 11.24.2011, 04:14 PM   #34
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Do you know what my favourite food is? Raw chicken tits. That's how hard I am.

Mine's raw cow dick.
Old 11.25.2011, 01:36 AM   #35
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Slavo is a punk. I'll kick his pony ridin ass.

I'm just about to start crying.

you want that? you really want that?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2011, 02:27 AM   #36
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
interestingly, I saw a report on BBC World which was suggesting the same kind of problem in mainstream music as a whole, with the market being dominated by nothing but "heritage" groups that have been holding it down for decades. I adore most of these still playing heritage groups, and SY is definitely in that category after three continuous decades, however young artists are unable to get the kind of airplay, media coverage, and touring support because all the OGs are still running the game..

however Kurt was right..

"this is to all the dinosaurs out there, who will die, and then we will move into their homes.."

I think it´s not reasonable to blame artists and companies about that situation. It´s the people who want those heritage artists. If nobody bought their records or went into their gigs, there would been soon support from the companies to the new artists. I think people wants those heritage artists, because this world is these days quite uncertain and people want to listen something safe, not fresh and renewed music.

Parodoxically most of my favourite artists are also "the old ones" (only one album I´ve bought this year is made by artist who started 2000-decade). But my reason is not that I want safe music. It´s just that I´ve heard so much music that it´s hard to find anything nobody has ever made (of course I know it´s very rare anybody make something completely new in popular music, but I mean unique, personal mix of older elements). Of course I know somebody new is still making great music, but there is also new music in this world so much that it´s hard to find the great ones (anything that I´ve heard for example here in SYG hasn´t touched me, of course I´ve not heard all that is recommended). When some of my favourite old artists still make fresh, great music, why don´t I listen them instead trying to find new artists? To me it´s quite the same, is artist new or old. And I have also record-collector nature, so if the old artist could offer me new fresh records, I want to collect all his records.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2011, 11:00 AM   #37
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
pussy

nice to meet you.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 11.25.2011, 11:44 AM   #38
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
the only replacement for sonic youth is death.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2011, 02:26 PM   #39
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:

Hello slavo. I'm Russian-Canadian

Hello. I am Slavo and I don't fucking care who you are.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 11.25.2011, 04:47 PM   #40
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Anybody who read this title (or worse yet, actually read the thread) and thought that I was proposing a literal replacement is probably either learning disabled, or non-English speaking, and somehow the way I phrased the nature of SY as symbols escaped them.

By the way, I don't know of any bands who are up to the task. None. This generation is painfully lacking in significant noise-rock bands, despite all the "noise-rock" bands it's been spitting out by the thousands.

And hey, foreverasskiss... Wolf Eyes does suck at times, but they were pretty badass back in the early auts. I haven't been keeping track of them, not for years, but I remember liking their split with Black Dice and seeing them live a few times. It was enjoyable.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth