Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Win Tix To Dylan Tribue Concert
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.05.2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Win Tix To Dylan Tribue Concert
2007-11-05 12:06:46.620,
Story by: Kevin Kampwirth
I'm Not There, Todd Haynes' upcoming biopic-of-sorts, which was inspired by the life and music of Bob Dylan, will be celebrated in concert this Wednesday at 8 p.m. at the Beacon Theatre in New York. The show will feature many of the artists that contributed to the film's soundtrack including My Morning Jacket, Yo La Tengo, Mark Lanegan and J Mascis. Tickets for the show are currently running anywhere from $150-$1,000, but fear not—CMJ is here for you. Just e-mail contest@cmj.com by noon tomorrow (November 6) with the subject line "I'm Not There," and you and a friend could very well be there Wednesday night if yours is one of the five randomly selected entries. Transportation and lodging, should it apply, is not included, but surely that's a small price to pay to hear John Doe, Calexico and the Roots pay tribute to one of the greatest songwriters of all time. The movie opens nationwide on November 21 and its soundtrack is out now.

www.imnotthere.info
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
thats not really true, tickets are from $50 to 150. Hopefully some surprise guests will be there, Im hoping for Karen O, Vedder and all of SY.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 12:36 PM   #3
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
The after-party will be held at 10:30pm at the Royalton (44 West 44th Street - between 5th & 6th Avenues) and will be strictly limited to the first 200 VIP ticket buyers.
Todd Haynes and several actors have confirmed their attendance including Heath Ledger, Marcus Carl Franklin, and Bruce Greenwood. All the performing musicians plan to attend. There will be an open bar and should be a lot of fun - a rare chance to party with the stars!

Sounds like a fun thing to crash
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
oh wow, I was not aware of this VIP pricing scheme. So, I take it back.
Old 11.08.2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Georgekrz
stalker

So, did anyone else go? Best band on the night for me was The Roots, with "Masters of War" version which was just amazing. They got a standing ovation (only band to get one).

Lee and his band first backed some girl whose name I forget now on about the third song of the night. Later they came back at the end of the night for about 4 songs, one with John Doe, they did "Ballad of the Thin Man". Lee sang one number, it was an unreleased song from 1966, called shit Im drawing a blank- "I can't Leave Her" something like that? Mascis also sang one. The closing jam was "All Along The Watchtower" - which frankly was a mess since the mics seemed to be turned off. and BTW- Lee played acoustic, electric and keyboard. Al Kooper also pitched in on the keyboards, Mascis did the guitar leads. and another guitar player was there, again I forgot the name.

What else, Michelle Shocked wasn't there because she missed the flight. The "special guest" was Tift Merritt, and she did "Hard Rain", which was nice enough, but I think people were expecting something more special?
Old 11.08.2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...york-ny-110707

Old 11.08.2007, 03:09 PM   #7
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Chan pulled a no show!
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 01:15 AM   #8
Moshe
Super Moderator

All-star Bob Dylan tribute show hits New York

Sonic Youth, J Mascis and My Morning Jacket all play

08.Nov.07 11:05am
An all-star cast of musicians gathered at New York's Beacon Theatre last night (November 7) to celebrate Todd Haynes' Bob Dylan biopic 'I'm Not There'.

Although contributor Cat Power was absent from the proceedings, My Morning Jacket, Calexico, Yo La Tengo, Dinosaur Jr.'s J Mascis turned up to play their favourite Dylan songs.

The acts were accompanied by The Million Dollar Bashers, a house band put together by Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo, featuring J Mascis on guitar and 'Blonde on Blonde'-era Dylan collaborator Al Kooper among others.

Actor Heath Ledger, who plays one version of Dylan in 'I'm Not There', introduced several acts, including the ramshackle Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros.

Hip-hop troupe The Roots earned a standing ovation when they reprised their arrangement of 'Masters Of War', which set the song's first verses to 'The Star Spangled Banner' before referencing Jimi Hendrix's 'Machine Gun' while sousaphonist Tuba Gooding Jr. hopped into the crowd with his brass.

The following songs were performed:

'When The Ship Comes In' (Marcus Carl Franklin)
'Billy 1' (Calexico)
'Goin' To Acapulco' (Jim James and Calexico)
'Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)' (Joe Henry with Calexico)
'Long Black Veil' (Mark Lanegan with Calexico)
'All I Really Wanna Do' (Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros)
'It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry' (Al Kooper and the Funky Faculty with the Uptown Horns)
'As I Went Out One Morning' (Mira Billotte and the Million Dollar Bashers)
'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' (Ian Ball and Olly Peacock)
'Subterranean Homesick Blues' (Dan Licks and The Hot Licks)
'Rainy Day Women #12 & 35' (Terry Adams)
'I Wanna Be Your Lover' (Yo La Tengo)
'Fourth Time Around' (Yo La Tengo)
'Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You' (My Morning Jacket)
'The Times They Are A-Changin'' (Mason Jennings)
'Pressing On' (John Doe)
'Buckets Of Rain' (Jimmy LaFave)
'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall' (Tift Merritt)
'Can't Leave Her Behind' (Lee Ranaldo and the Million Dollar Bashers)
'Santa Fe' (J Mascis and the Million Dollar Bashers)
'Ballad Of A Thin Man' (John Doe and the Million Dollar Bashers)
'Masters Of War' (The Roots)
'All Along The Watchtower' (The Million Dollar Bashers and guests)

http://www.nme.com/news/bob-dylan/32383
Old 11.09.2007, 01:17 AM   #9
Moshe
Super Moderator

On the Scene: The 'I'm Not There' concert at New York's Beacon Theatre

Nov 8, 2007, 04:43 PM | by LaRue Cook
Categories: Music, On the Scene

In honor of director Todd Haynes' new Bob Dylan-approved biopic, I'm Not There, a host of talented musicians, young and old, contributed to the movie's soundtrack of 33 Dylan songs. And a handful of those artists gathered last night at New York City's Beacon Theatre to pay homage to the greatest songwriter of the 20th century. Coordinated by Haynes, Michael Dorf, and others, the event raised money for 826 National, a non-profit organization established by authors Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida to encourage young students in creative writing.
I could throw out names that you may or may not know. Old-timers like X frontman John Doe, Blonde on Blonde collaborator Al Kooper, Jimmy LaFave, Dan Hicks & the Hot Licks, and Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo. Okay, I'll admit it: I wasn't there to hear "Blowin' in the Wind" or "The Times They Are a-Changin'" — and the stuff played by these grizzled vets might've fell deaf on 22-year-old ears. But in front of a crowd that spanned at least three generations, I could grasp the significance of how one man influenced so many kinds of music, from John Doe's punk rock to The Roots' hip-hop.
Haynes' film follows Dylan through the various stages of his career, with a different actor (Cate Blanchett, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale, Richard Gere) playing a Dylan from a particular era. And mimicking the way Haynes shifts perspectives, the concert began with a performance of "When the Ship Comes In" by the young Marcus Carl Franklin (remember that name), then rolled forward to My Morning Jacket's Jim James (backed by Calexico) doing a sublime rendition of "Goin' to Acapulco." Fast-forward just a bit further to Joe Henry, coming off his new album, Civilians, acting almost as event maestro, rarely leaving the stage, whether as guitarist or singer on songs like "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)."
addCredit("My Morning Jacket: Brian Ach/WireImage.com")
There was the occasional hiccup — an interesting yet unsettling performance by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes and an obligatory emcee appearance by Ledger — but the night belonged to two bands: MMJ (pictured, with James at right) and The Roots. For tradition's sake, it was right to have Kooper, Terry Adams, and Mark Lanegan on stage. In all honesty, though, I would've been content to listen to MMJ and ?uestlove play Dylan all night. Although they were mistakenly introduced as being from Lexington (they actually hail from Louisville, Ky.), MMJ and James connected on a version of "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You" that nicely showcased James' uncanny reverb. With a fresh haircut, James didn't look his normal shaggy self, but his voice echoed through the Beacon like he wanted Dylan to hear him, wherever he was.
The Roots? Well, The Roots literally brought the crowd to its feet. I remember rumblings of the group playing Bonnaroo this summer, including a chilling performance of "Master's of War," which is what they played as their set's penultimate song. Capt. Kirk let loose on guitar, singing the first verse to the tune of the our national anthem, and channeling Jimi Hendrix throughout. ?uestlove, on the skins, was worth every penny of the $150 ticket (which, in the spirit of full disclosure, I procured for free), and Tuba Gooding Jr. jumping into the audience with his sousaphone made it hands down one of the top performances I've seen this year. (You can see a YouTube video of them performing the song at another venue here.)
To make this a true, interactive PopWatch experience, I'll throw out a question I was pondering last night. What's the best Dylan cover you've ever heard? Or, better yet, what's your favorite cover album/cover song? Because I've got MMJ on the mind, their re-imagining of Erykah Badu's "Tyrone" keeps popping up in my mental list.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007...-scene-bo.html
Old 11.09.2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Georgekrz
stalker

thanks. and I agree with that guy above me, The Roots performance was prob one of the best Ive seen this year, and justfied the price of my ticket which I paid 50 bucks for btw..

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth