Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Need advice from other musicians
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2010, 03:25 AM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
OK, it's way too late for me to up posting on here (quarter after 4 am on the eastern coast of the United States), but I know a lot of other people on this board are musicians, and they play shows, and I'm sure a few must have some degree of success...

The other members of my band don't want to play too many shows in our area at once, saying people will just go to the next show if they know there will be more after the next one...I've thought this is crazy/lazy, that people who like the band would want to catch as many shows as they can, but the people I've talked to agree with them, citing factors I never thought of like distance from the show, how much money they have, etc.

But I know that in order to build a following, we have to make ourselves known, and to do that, shouldn't we play as many shows as we can? We've always had issues bringing people to shows...what can we do to change this?
Old 04.01.2010, 03:44 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I don't know about your area, but I wouldn't really overkill it, and I'd try to play in places you know you'd be most appreciated. For example, I live in Columbus, Indiana.. a shitty, closeminded, little hicktown where like 3 people appreciate the shit I do. No one here has ever been the least bit successful with anything they've ever done in their lives, so they automatically are jealous and hate anything that even slightly has any success. I can travel 20 miles north, however, and go to this insane art/college town and have 200 people at my show on, like, a Tuesday night, with little promotion, not because a bunch of people worship me, but just because they're more open minded, more supportive, more into art and things that are different. Also, PLENTY of people from that town have broken out and gotten successful, there's record labels there, all kinds of fun shit (Bloomington, Indiana).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, playing a bunch of shows to a town that isn't supportive is going to be pointless, pretty much, but if you can play shows in larger areas, places where people will actually come, then that works. I've played shows to 500 people and I've played shows to 5, and honestly it's all about what you want to do. With 500, you're guranteed to piss some people off, but it was probably more fun. With 5, it was more intimate, and it was nothing but cool people there so I preferred it a bit...

I think the old adage "play a bunch of shows, that's how you do it!" isn't true in every case. Playing a bunch of shows doesn't mean anything, but if you play a bunch of the RIGHT shows, in the RIGHT places -- that might mean something. Again, it's all down to your geography, which I can't comment on to much, or how receptive people are in your town.

As for bringing people to shows.. your guess is as good as mine. Some obvious stuff... make it on the weekends usually, make it as a decent venue... but I think it helps to have some hook. When Scissor Shock was playing a bunch, I had some bullshit description put on the flyer every time... one time it said "The harshest skronk punk to ever exist EVER." or some garbage, haha. Little things like that can get people to be like "What the fuck?"

I saw a band recently called butt piss. Just becuase they were named butt piss.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2010, 03:49 AM   #3
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
tour tour tour tour tour
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2010, 03:55 AM   #4
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, tour tour tour and don't give a fuck if noone shows up, unless this could kill the "support" from venues in your area...

BUT, if there are just few places willing to book bands around there it could be a good idea not to play all of em in a too short time span..or the "following" you could build would have no chances to see you play for a while, unless you get to be a resident band in some venue ha ha .
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth