Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MEH. Meh. MEEEEH.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.26.2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Though they just played Cake Shop on 3/13 with Todd and Sewerkraut (pictures in this post) followed by a string of shows at SXSW, according to a post from
Hardcore Gig Volume, Drunkdriver officially called it quits just two days before their Saturday night record release party at Market Hotel (which has now been moved to 538 Johnson).

Message boards are lighting up, as the timing of the break up coincides with a new wave of old allegations from drummer Jeremy's past life in the band Wives (Dean & Randy pre-No Age):

This is Jeremy from drunkdriver. I am not a rapist. This is based on an accusation from when I was 15 years old. Years after that when I was 23, a friend of mine and I got drunk and slept together. We were on tour and a friend of her's overheard about the incident from when I was 15 (from that girl's best friend) and put this story together like so.

After all this Dean and Randy were by my side. I got irresponsibly blackout drunk in Texas and was inappropriate, woke up with my clothes on but I definitely did not rape anyone or do anything that could be called rape. I was a drunk asshole that night. NEVER was the word "NO" or any force ever used in ANY of the instances.

After years of being there for me, Dean and Randy of Wives couldn't continue being in a band with me and that was the end. Roy did play drums for the rest of the tour with them. When I got back home to LA I called my family and found out that some real-life, non punk issues that put this whole thing into perspective for me, all the while a friend was convincing me to visit New York.

I came out to visit and it seemed like my life could use a big change, so I stayed. I've been here for 5 years and I feel like my entire life has changed for the better. Had I stayed in LA I'm sure I could have defended myself, but I most definitely did not flee here. If I were fleeing I would not go where everyone ends up a few times a year. I am just trying to go on with my life and be a good friend to the great friends I have. This is also a very short version of this but if you would like to know more you can email me here: worktodeathrecords@gmail.com
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2010, 12:08 AM   #2
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I'm too drunk and tired to understand all of that right now, but it sure sucks that they've broken up./
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2010, 12:33 AM   #3
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
ooh, this is some really nasty and depressing stuff, out on the internet for everyone to see...

gossip here
http://mishkanyc.com/bloglin/2010/02...o-drunkdriver/

and here
http://www.ihateyouthattack.com/pages/ythgst.htm?page=4

singer no longer wants to be in a band with the drummer because of it, apparently:

BERDAN SPEAKS:

"this is probably far too little too late,
but here it goes...

i didn't know about these accusations when we
started this band. after about six months in,
one of these incidents was brought to my
attention. had a long talk with jeremy about
it, who completely denied it. he told me in
detail about the incident when he was 15 and
both instances in question from when he was
in wives. after thinking about it, i decided
that i wanted to believe my friend's story.
he told kristy about it, and she took the
same position as i did. after she and i heard
from two very hard detractors of jeremy's, we
decided for ourselves that we needed more
information. because she didn't have an email
address or any other kind of contact info,
she wrote the myspace page of the band in
question. she absolutely did not ask for
details, but said that she was a woman
playing in a band with jeremy and wanted to
know if, as a woman, she should be concerned
about playing music with him or being around
him at all. she never heard back from them,
which is more than completely understandable
but did factor into why we decided to stay
together at that point. we tried our best to
talk to people who were around when
everything happened with wives, and many were
supportive of jeremy. we stayed a band for
three years after that, and in that period of
time jeremy did not ever step out of line or
act out of turn. he had cut significantly
down on drinking in the past year and stopped
completely in november. when we were on our
way back from chicago, i was told about the
mishka blog post. i didn't mention it to
kristy or jeremy at the moment because i just
wanted for us to get home safely and not
freak out. the day that i got home, timmy
hefner called me and said that he had talked
to no age and some other la people after
reading the blog and absolutely could not do
shows for us anymore. immediately after that,
todd p called and said that he was dropping
us from his monterey fest because no age
refused to play if we were on. immediately
after that, randy from no age called me. this
was the first time that anyone from la had
ever contacted me or kristy. he told me his
side of the story and no age's position and
was as sweet, stand up, and polite as
possible in doing so. after talking with him,
i started to feel differently. the enormous
gravity of the situation started to really
beat down on me and i felt significant doubt
for the first time. we talked about it at
length again, and a part of me, as someone i
had grown close to, still wanted to give
jeremy the benefit of the doubt. he freely
and openly discussed this with anyone and
openly posted his email address to anyone who
wanted to contact him about this, which made
me feel more confident in him. i still wanted
to give him the benefit of the doubt, but
this ate at me more and more. we played a
handful of other shows and did sxsw. after
that, this thread came up. with all of the
dialogue, it beat me down and made me
reexamine my position. i told kristy and
jeremy that i could no longer do the band and
they respected my decision. i agreed to play
this one last show, but as time went on and i
talked to friends and read this thread, i
decided that i couldn't do that either.

i won't lie and say that i don't care about
jeremy. when he's told me what he's told me
in the past, i really want to believe him.
still, i know that a number of people
involved in his past have absolutely no
reason to lie to me and if this is true, i
absolutely cannot live with myself. the
thought of it disgusts me and breaks my
heart. the fact that he's been good
throughout my experience doesn't take away
from the possibility of his past. i can't do
this band anymore and feel good about it.

i'm so sorry to everyone who this has hurt.
i'm so sorry to everyone who i have
disappointed beyond repair. i never meant any
harm, but that doesn't take away from
anything."
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Some nasty shit for sure. The drummer's comment comes from the thread that follows the paragraph about the band below.

Your first time hearing Brooklyns Drunkdriver is probably the audio equivalent of staring into the headlights of an 18 wheeler that is half a second away from scattering you around for miles. The band plays the angriest heaviest and most distorted Hardcore Punk Ive heard in a very long time and possibly ever. Upon first listen one might think that Drunkdriver is just noise but after you really listen you realize there is so much more going on with this band musically and lyrically and thats when you become hooked. Drunkdriver is also an amazing live band the front man Mike is absolutely out of his fucking mind and plays with such intensity you cant help but either run in fear or start jumping off of everything in sight.

Drunkdriver is your most deep rooted anger and resentment for anything and everything on record, they have quite a few releases, which for the most part have long sold out (but downloads are not hard to find). The band has a brand new self-titled LP out on Load Records on March 22nd that will probably make whatever you consider to be the hardest record ever made sound like a fucking Hanson greatest hits compilation. Record release show is on March 27th at the Market Hotel and you are not going to want to miss it but you may want to consider bringing a helmet.
27 Responses to You Should Be Listening to Drunkdriver

The Public Eye Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Thank the drummer Jeremy for No Age becoming a band. If he hadnt raped/attempted to rape two guys, one of whom is my best friend, Wives never would have called it quits and music would not
be the same. Not that Im a huge No Age fan. Funny how drummers are so hard to come by that people dumb down and justify this douchebags actions to keep his name clean in the scene

The Public Eye Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Two girls I mean, whoops! I need coffee asap!

Hardcore Gig Volume Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 1:51 pm

public eye,

get at me, curious.

My Pal the Crook Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Can we please leave the gossip out of here? Thanks.

street dude Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Banana Wintour must write press releases for Hatebreed or something; so EXTREME.

Red Medicine Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Not bad, but Paint It Black still remains the premiere hardcore band in the world today.

My Pal the Crook Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 4:58 pm

No disrespect to either bands, but Fucked Up is the premiere hardcore band in the world. Not opinion, fact.

Nice Lifestyle Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Hatebreed is my favorite band bro.

penski Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Mínus piss all over them. Sorry.

Go buy/download/suck out of your mums cunt/whatever the albums Hey Johnny and Jesus Christ Bobby.

The only band in the history of ever that has managed the transition from first-class hardcore band to first-class post-hardcore band.

*n

My Pal the Crook Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Now your guys are just doing the im gonna name a band only I know as the best game.

In that respect The Nazi Fucktards are the greatest Hardcore band around today. Live gas chamber executions and all.

penski Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Mínus

Hey Johnny!

Jesus Christ Bobby

Seriously, Ill rip them and upload them myself if I have to

Had to wait four fucking years before they toured outside of Iceland. They supported Matter (meh. pretty average) and Charger (fucking awesome. Best band T-shirt ever: full backprint of VOLUME OVER TALENT) and outshone the pair of them.

Hello, we are Meenoosh, from Eyeshlandt, and, er.we are going to play some loud rock and roll, for you.
Old 03.27.2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

The Public Eye Says:
February 8th, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Crook not gossip. Its the reason he fled to the East Coast. Hit up No Age for the scoop. This isnt some silly allegations. This piece of shit really is guilty as charged. Roy replaced him on the final
Wives tour after he was busted trying to fuck some girl while she was passed out drunk in Texas. Roy learned all the songs in two days and they sent Jeremy packing on a bus.

blink blink Says:
February 9th, 2010 at 1:57 am

Fucked Up is the best +1..beeeeellliiiion

Duke Puke Says:
February 9th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Fucked Up are great but rapidly turning into progressiveshoegazecore (still my favorite band). Sex Vid>Drunk Driver though, real talk.

wtd Says:
February 13th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

This is Jeremy from drunkdriver. I am not a rapist. This is based on an accusation from when I was 15 years old. Years after that when I was 23, a friend of mine and I got drunk and slept together. We were on tour and a friend of hers overheard about the incident from when I was 15 (from that girls best friend) and put this story together like so.

After all this Dean and Randy were by my side. I got irresponsibly blackout drunk in Texas and was inappropriate, woke up with my clothes on but I definitely did not rape anyone or do anything that could be called rape. I was a drunk asshole that night. NEVER was the word NO or any force ever used in ANY of the instances.

After years of being there for me, Dean and Randy of Wives couldnt continue being in a band with me and that was the end. Roy did play drums for the rest of the tour with them. When I got back home to LA I called my family and found out that some real-life, non punk issues that put this whole thing into perspective for me, all the while a friend was convincing me to visit New York.

I came out to visit and it seemed like my life could use a big change, so I stayed. Ive been here for 5 years and I feel like my entire life has changed for the better. Had I stayed in LA Im sure I could have defended myself, but I most definitely did not flee here. If I were fleeing I would not go where everyone ends up a few times a year. I am just trying to go on with my life and be a good friend to the great friends I have. This is also a very short version of this but if you would like to know more you can email me here: worktodeathrecords@gmail.com

P.S. I have never lived in Seattle, I heard that just last night.

Shingles Says:
March 23rd, 2010 at 11:07 am

I got irresponsibly blackout drunk in Texas and was inappropriate, woke up with my clothes on but I definitely did not rape anyone or do anything that could be called rape. I was a drunk asshole that night. NEVER was the word NO or any force ever used in ANY of the instances.

This is seriously your response?
Old 03.27.2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

xpat1138 Says:
March 23rd, 2010 at 11:47 am

This needs to stop. If you get your information second hand there, is no reason to make those accusations. They are damaging and unnecessary.

heather Says:
March 23rd, 2010 at 3:01 pm

jeremy, you a rapist piece of shit and its time you man up to what youve done.

Scott Trees Says:
March 23rd, 2010 at 3:34 pm

The most unfortunate thing about this whole situation is how unattractive Jeremy is. That really must have sucked for that girl.

PS what a shit scene in general.

HEX APPEAL Says:
March 23rd, 2010 at 10:06 pm

It is in fact complete bullshit to go around damaging anyones name based on second hand information. he said she said bullshit.

Fuck you for inciting a witch hunt here.

@@@ Says:
March 23rd, 2010 at 10:15 pm

You know whats damaging and unnecessary?

Rape. And rapist musicians making bullshit excuses for their criminal behavior.
Old 03.27.2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

disagrees@@@ Says:
March 24th, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Then why was the law not applied in any instance? In fact there were potential witnesses and the law was not applied, so that in fact criminal behavior. So in order for this to be verified it needs to go through the proper channels, NOT INTERNET FUCKING MESSAGE BOARDS.

So either do the right thing and file a criminal suit or shut the fuck up and stop slandering and potentially getting yourself sued.

fritz Says:
March 24th, 2010 at 9:13 pm

jeremys also in a band called pygmy shrews. people should probably boycott that band too.

Erik Says:
March 25th, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Drunkdriver just broke up

Shingles Says:
March 26th, 2010 at 12:24 am

rape is a shameful experience. many women do not report rape.
you are all idiots.

tummy trouble Says:
March 26th, 2010 at 10:15 am

to be fair, the drummer being a rapist just proves how HARD the band is/was.

Jaws Says:
March 26th, 2010 at 6:02 pm

People make mistakes when their inebriated. I know there are men I wish I hadnt slept with when I was drunk. Its a part of life. All these accusations are from so long ago. Its ridiculous to post them on a blog for a band this guy plays drums in. Forgive and let it go already.
Old 03.27.2010, 07:49 AM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
shit

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
shit
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

There are several things unclear about all this. Why didn't Berdan and Greene convince him to go on trial, if they trusted his word when the allegations started popping up all over the place and they found out? Also, why is Greene saying now that Berdan's comments as posted by pokkeherie are new to her? I can understand they are close friends and all that, but surely this would logically result in one's reputation as a musician and human being to be severely tarnished, as well as destroying what was a great band.
Old 03.28.2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
This is truly a clusterfuck. I really don't think the internet is an appropriate place for all of this insanity. On one hand, I guess it can be a useful tool for fostering safe spaces in music communities.... but honestly, I wouldn't want my shit out there like this if I happened to be a rape survivor. There is so much hypocrisy ON BOTH sides of the issue right now. I actually sat down and tried to read the entirety of those threads. That roxy girl isn't fucking creating safe spaces for anyone by spewing her self-aggrandizing vitriol the way she is, and these ironic frat bro's coming on and making rape jokes should be shot, but this is what happens when you think that an internet message board is a valid medium for discourse about rape and accountability.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

LP cancelled?
Old 04.04.2010, 07:45 AM   #13
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck/....
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Load Records Nixes Release of Final Drunkdriver Album

Friday, April 2nd, 2010

When the harsh, noisy New York band Drunkdriver dissolved last week amid allegations that its drummer, Jeremy Villalobos, has a history of sexual assault, it looked as though its new self-titled record would still be released on April 14 on Load Records. That, anyway, is what the band
wrote on its blog last Friday: It is our finest musical offering and sadly, our last.

It turns out that Load Records has nixed the release, according to the labels
Ben McOsker. Does not make commercial sense at this point, he wrote in an e-mail.

Asked if that decision had to do with the bands break-up, the allegations involving Villalobos, or both, McOsker responded, All of the above.
Old 04.04.2010, 02:38 PM   #15
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I guess all we'll have is a leak.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2010, 02:42 PM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Hopefully someone will release it on another label.
Old 04.04.2010, 03:42 PM   #17
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
not releasing it could be a marketing coupe to drive the demand and the price up.
Old 04.04.2010, 04:56 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
" Does not make commercial sense at this point,"

well that's not true, sales would go through the roof... but eh..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2010, 02:10 AM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Kristy Greene: ''THE NEW DRUNKDRIVER LP is now coming out on PARTS UNKNOWN...all for one, and one for all....''

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth